So looks like Rogers is sticking to their guns and are not going to carry the Z30 which pisses me right off but what can I do?

I'm here to ask if it's possible to buy a Z30 outright and just pay to unlock it. Does that work? Does it matter which carrier I purchase it from? My understanding is that there's only one version of the Z30 unlike the Z10. I'm not willing to pay my early cancellation fees and to sign up with another carrier. That'll cost me about the same as just buying the phone outright from a carrier.

Anyway, hope someone here can answer my questions. Thanks in advance.

9700 > 9900 > Z10 STL100-3/10.1.0.4633
    10-04-13 01:55 PM
    @rogers_chris has been in hiding for almost 24hrs now. Their other accounts have been deleting angry comments......their facebook page is getting smashed.

We shall see if they change their mind. But one thing is for sure, they look like asses and have definitely lost a lot of business.

Keep hamering them people!!

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 02:19 PM
    I doubt Rogers care.
    They made their decision.
    Everyone complained about 3 year terms....fine, they give everyone 2 year terms now.....
    Just buy one outright and be done. I'm sure the LTE will work, chances are it'll be a quad band or something.
    10-04-13 02:23 PM
    US Cellular didn't even bother getting BlackBerry 10 phone. They moved people to Samsung. Glad I use Verizon

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 02:53 PM
    @rogers_chris has been in hiding for almost 24hrs now. Their other accounts have been deleting angry comments......their facebook page is getting smashed.

We shall see if they change their mind. But one thing is for sure, they look like asses and have definitely lost a lot of business.

Keep hamering them people!!

Posted via CB10
    Well I just got off the phone with Rogers and the rep said they will be carrying the Z30. So let's just wait and see.
    10-04-13 02:54 PM
    So looks like Rogers is sticking to their guns and are not going to carry the Z30 which pisses me right off but what can I do?

I'm here to ask if it's possible to buy a Z30 outright and just pay to unlock it. Does that work? Does it matter which carrier I purchase it from? My understanding is that there's only one version of the Z30 unlike the Z10. I'm not willing to pay my early cancellation fees and to sign up with another carrier. That'll cost me about the same as just buying the phone outright from a carrier.

Anyway, hope someone here can answer my questions. Thanks in advance.

9700 > 9900 > Z10 STL100-3/10.1.0.4633
    Oh there certainly isn't just one version of the Z30, probably more like six. The North American one hasn't gone official (on BB's website yet,) but if you get the same model that Telus and Bell are using and unlock it, you should be ok. Also, the European model has Rogers' 2600 MHz LTE band (in addition to Rogers' 3G/HSPA+ bands) so if you don't want to wait and are in a LTE 2600 market, you could get the European model too.
    10-04-13 03:26 PM
    US Cellular didn't even bother getting BlackBerry 10 phone. They moved people to Samsung. Glad I use Verizon
    They're more or less a regional carrier, so I'm not sure if BB was interested financially in manufacturing devices for their network. Of course, USCC could have just as well declined to carry BB10.
    10-04-13 03:27 PM
    From my sources at Rogers, there will be a meeting on Wednesday regarding this decision. Of course, this is hearsay. Like the Q5, they may just pick it up late (this I heard from a BlackBerry contact).

I guess we'll see.

Again, all I said above is just hearsay evidence.
    10-04-13 03:31 PM
    Oh, they care all right. It's a PR nightmare, and it's only escalating day by day. I'm sure Bell and Telus are re-joicing.

My take on this:

They made a business decision based on previous low sales of BlackBerry 10 devices, and their numbers crunchers determined that they could afford to grow their clientele without the Z30, and take it for granted that their existing and new clients would choose other phone models, BB or otherwise.

What I think they did not account for was the number of existing customers that would jump ships, and the intense public PR backlash that is going on, both for not carrying the Z30 and being un-patriotic/hypocrites given their recent stance on Verizon=Lost Canadian jobs fiasco.

Since Telus, Bell and Rogers all do price collusion anyway, it's easy for Canadian customers to switch from one company to another, and still pay the same (or less with introductory deals).

I'm one of the many very disappointed Rogers clients who was planning to upgrade to the Z30, and even paying my device balance from the Z10 I got last year. I'm now considering to pay the device balance, then switch to another provider. Koodo (Telus' cheap brand), is offering some nice plans right now.
    10-04-13 05:08 PM
    Take your money elsewhere.

CB10 - Z10 -10.2.0.1725
    10-04-13 05:35 PM
    Want to really wonder if rogers genuinely cares? Follow the money trail. See how much iPhone is selling on them vs the z10.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 01:48 PM
    We can bash, smash and condemn Rogers for not getting Z30... but in the end of the day, we have to understand that like BlackBerry and other companies, Rogers need to protect their investors too...

One thing that Rogers can do is to get a low inventory of Z30 to cater loyal BlackBerry users... then, they can probably increase their inventory if demand becomes higher... but maybe, just speculating here, the operational cost of even low volume of Z30 is not enough to get ROI... that is why Rogers decided not to take the risk...

Posted via Z10
    10-06-13 04:49 PM
    BlackBerry has nobody to blame except the senior management team including the board of directors. In its current state would you buy a large inventory of devices especially if in your experience not many of its predecessors sold?
    10-06-13 05:19 PM
    We can bash, smash and condemn Rogers for not getting Z30... but in the end of the day, we have to understand that like BlackBerry and other companies, Rogers need to protect their investors too...

One thing that Rogers can do is to get a low inventory of Z30 to cater loyal BlackBerry users... then, they can probably increase their inventory if demand becomes higher... but maybe, just speculating here, the operational cost of even low volume of Z30 is not enough to get ROI... that is why Rogers decided not to take the risk...

Posted via Z10
    I thought BlackBerry announced direct-to-consumer sales of BlackBerry 10 smartphones? Did they tell a fib once again?
    10-06-13 05:23 PM
    Direct sale is not available in Canada.

Rogers can always decide to do direct shipping like T mobile. That way, there is no stocking.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 06:43 PM
    Well, direct ship still has stocking, just not at each store. But that is a LOT easier to manage.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 07:04 PM