In this Bloomberg TV piece , a talking head suggests that when Microsoft switched their systems to Exchange Server (I'm not a tech guy, just using terminology I heard), it undermined BBRY's edge in security.

Please start watching at about 3:00.

I have always believed that for all the things that are working against BBRY, one thing they had going for them is that their networks were more secure than others. When I first got my World Edition phone so many years ago, it was explained to me that BBRY data traffic does not go over the internet, but instead goes over their own network of servers. That's why BBRY was more secure than other platforms.

In trying to figure out what this firm is now worth, I had always assumed that there was value in this and that BBRY or its acquirer might be able to maintain a going concern based on their edge in security, or at least there might be a buyer willing to pay up for such a network in place.

I want to hear form the tech guys around here. Is it true that MSFT's new system is the equal of BBRY? Is it true that with their new system, MSFT takes away BBRY's edge in security? Is this true only if you implement some other proprietary MSFT solution for your business - i.e. does the capability exists but only for paying enterprise clients?
    10-03-13 02:59 PM
    In this Bloomberg TV piece , a talking head suggests that when Microsoft switched their systems to Exchange Server (I'm not a tech guy, just using terminology I heard), it undermined BBRY's edge in security.

Please start watching at about 3:00.

I have always believed that for all the things that are working against BBRY, one thing they had going for them is that their networks were more secure than others. When I first got my World Edition phone so many years ago, it was explained to me that BBRY data traffic does not go over the internet, but instead goes over their own network of servers. That's why BBRY was more secure than other platforms.

In trying to figure out what this firm is now worth, I had always assumed that there was value in this and that BBRY or its acquirer might be able to maintain a going concern based on their edge in security, or at least there might be a buyer willing to pay up for such a network in place.

I want to hear form the tech guys around here. Is it true that MSFT's new system is the equal of BBRY? Is it true that with their new system, MSFT takes away BBRY's edge in security? Is this true only if you implement some other proprietary MSFT solution for your business - i.e. does the capability exists but only for paying enterprise clients?
    Unless it has changed Exchange Server can do limited management of mobile devices (not BlackBerry's). But nothing on the level of BES10.

But for most small to medium business that are not direct suppliers to some top secrete military organization.... it would most likely be good enough.

If PW does buy BB, I could see MS being interested in obtaining BB's MDM technology. Not to use it directly, but to incorporate some of it features into Exchange Server to provide a more complete all in one communication/management solution.
    10-03-13 03:25 PM
    They are probably referring to Activesync which killed BlackBerry. Earlier BlackBerry secret source push email system was replaced by Activesync.

Posted via CB10
    mikeycollins13 likes this.
    10-03-13 03:31 PM
    Recently Microsoft Hotmail switched to outlook.com which is Activesync

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 03:42 PM
    One thing I never understood about the Blackberry security "advantage" is that apart from the NSA-angle, Blackberry's software runs on Windows. It is exactly like Thorsten Heins said: "You don't know how many keys you've given to the main door of your house because it's open Windows software," he said about Android. "So what are you trying to do? You're locking the windows. phones
    10-04-13 04:08 PM
    Recently Microsoft Hotmail switched to outlook.com which is Activesync

Posted via CB10
    hotmail has had activesync support for years. its not "new" with the merge with outlook
    10-04-13 04:17 PM
    hotmail has had activesync support for years. its not "new" with the merge with outlook

The difference is that outlook.com now supports IMAP, not just MAPI and POP3. But that's for desktop clients, not mobile clients.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk
    10-04-13 04:22 PM
    Exchange server / active sync requires you to open an unbound port or your firewall.

BES does not require this.. only an outbound connection is required . It is more secure than active sync

Posted via CB10 from my Z10
    10-04-13 04:39 PM
    Exchange server / active sync requires you to open an unbound port or your firewall.

BES does not require this.. only an outbound connection is required . It is more secure than active sync

yet tones of people use active sync?

sent using my Z10
    10-04-13 04:43 PM
    Yup.. i don't understand it....

Security isn't important to everyone

10-04-13 05:00 PM
    Yup.. i don't understand it....

Security isn't important to everyone

agreed. But in my opinion I think Microsoft is the one that drove Blackberry to the ground. They got them to the roots of Blackberry.
    10-04-13 05:09 PM
    Microsoft has the most breaches of security out there they need a new patch every month to keep them secure they are hacked many times

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 03:59 PM

Danny right it is

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 04:01 PM
    Not sure about that article. Which I'll admit I have not read at this time. But I always felt Microsoft creating the EAS protocol and then allowing Google and apple to license it really hurt BlackBerry. It gave iPhone and Android users "good enough" email to replace their BlackBerry devices. Essentially removing a barrier to switching. After all what business person is going to go from BIS/BES push email to polling a POP server every 15 or 20 minutes. The wait. The battery drain. Not good.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    Last edited by southlander; 10-07-13 at 12:25 PM.
    10-06-13 04:07 PM
    Basically ms eas or Activesync killed BlackBerry's proprietary bes. Remember email on smartphone was magic and only rim could do that.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 05:01 PM