Well long story short I found an old Bold 9000 stashed away at home today. This is my favorite BlackBerry. So after getting it setup and restarting it a few times (after installing things) I noticed that the start up didn't seem as long as I remember it from back in the day. I then decided to put the 9000 side by side with my Z10 and see how much longer the 9000 took to boot up. Turns out the 9000 is fully started up before the Z10. I am able to boot up the 9000 and compose an email before I am able to do this on the Z10. How sad is that? The Bold is from 2008, the Z10 is from 2013. I am able to turn both devices on at the same time and the device from 2008 can get to email faster than BB10/Z10 (a supposed messaging/communication powerhouse platform and device). Getting going, and keeping moving with email/business is important to many.

I can imagine some people will state that they don't restart often so this scenario is "not really relevant" or "not applicable", or "not important".

That's the attitude that got BlackBerry where it is today: "well that isn't important to the user, its just a small thing and doesn't happen often".

I welcome those people to type file:///var/boottime.txt into their BB10 browser and see when their last boot time was. It is often more recent then we like to think, and the loading of the hub is something that has always bothered me personally.

I welcome comments about this test/video. Is the boot up time important to prosumers that like to keep moving? Important to others? Is this acceptable that a device from 2008 can start and compose an email faster then a device from 2013? For those that feel this is not important or worth mentioning, feel free to post boot time screen shots showing the web site stated as well as the current time while in "peek" display.

If anyone is questioning me as "the t word" or overly negative, or not a BlackBerry fan..you should really ask yourself what someone with a current device is doing reviving a Bold 9000 in late 2013 if they are not a fan.

I really think this paints a good picture surrounding one of the question marks of BB10. You really have to wonder why BlackBerry wasn't able to address the long boot up times with a completely new platform, while competitors have addressed this. The phone is essentially paralyzed until the hub has loaded.

Forgive the poor video quality, I turned it to the lowest setting so that it would not take forever to upload.

*The ending of the video where it is showing the phone apps is not relevant at all to this particular scenario, however note that if I did the same boot up test to see which device I can make a call on first from off, the phone app on the Z10 is still loading like the hub was while I can already make calls on the Bold 9000. *
    09-29-13 08:38 PM
    Both are sweet devices. Not to point out the obvious, but your comparing an older phone with less "tech" in it to the latest and greatest. BB5 or 6 on the 9000 is eons behind the QNX based BB10 system. Not only that but you have more hardware components, more layers of code and executables, to boot what is essentially a mini computer (Z10). No offense, but that's like saying an iPhone boots slower than an original Motorola Razr. Of course it does, it has a far more complex system to manage and boot up.

Have you ever booted up an iPhone? It's like waiting for paint to dry. Apple's desktop/laptop OS is oddly faster than their mobile iOS.

As for email, it's known that BB10 devices don't rely much on BIS services including for email services. Email was slightly faster on my 9900 vs my Q10, possibly due to the BIS interaction.
    09-29-13 08:42 PM
    Both are sweet devices. Not to point out the obvious, but your comparing an older phone with less "tech" in it to the latest and greatest. BB5 or 6 on the 9000 is eons behind the QNX based BB10 system. Not only that but you have more hardware components, more layers of code and executables, to boot what is essentially a mini computer (Z10). No offense, but that's like saying an iPhone boots slower than an original Motorola Razr. Of course it down, it has a far more complex system to manage and boot up.

Have you ever booted up an iPhone? It's like waiting for paint to dry. Apple's desktop/laptop OS is oddly faster than their mobile iOS.

As for email, it's known that BB10 devices don't rely much on BIS services including for email services. Email was slightly faster on my 9900 vs my Q10, possibly due to the BIS interaction.
    The competitors somehow able to have a lower boot time than the Z10 and 9000. I think that this is very revelent, despite how much more advanced BB10 is than BBOS
    09-29-13 08:43 PM
    Boot time is too long, and then the hub needs like two minutes to set up as well.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 08:48 PM
    Well long story short I found an old Bold 9000 stashed away at home today. This is my favorite BlackBerry. So after getting it setup and restarting it a few times (after installing things) I noticed that the start up didn't seem as long as I remember it from back in the day. I then decided to put the 9000 side by side with my Z10 and see how much longer the 9000 took to boot up. Turns out the 9000 is fully started up before the Z10. I am able to boot up the 9000 and compose an email before I am able to do this on the Z10. How sad is that? The Bold is from 2008, the Z10 is from 2013. I am able to turn both devices on at the same time and the device from 2008 can get to email faster than BB10/Z10 (a supposed messaging/communication powerhouse platform and device). Getting going, and keeping moving with email/business is important to many.

I can imagine some people will state that they don't restart often so this scenario is "not really relevant" or "not applicable", or "not important".

That's the attitude that got BlackBerry where it is today: "well that isn't important to the user, its just a small thing and doesn't happen often".

I welcome those people to type file:///var/boottime.txt into their BB10 browser and see when their last boot time was. It is often more recent then we like to think, and the loading of the hub is something that has always bothered me personally.

I welcome comments about this test/video. Is the boot up time important to prosumers that like to keep moving? Important to others? Is this acceptable that a device from 2008 can start and compose an email faster then a device from 2013? For those that feel this is not important or worth mentioning, feel free to post boot time screen shots showing the web site stated as well as the current time while in "peek" display.

If anyone is questioning me as "the t word" or overly negative, or not a BlackBerry fan..you should really ask yourself what someone with a current device is doing reviving a Bold 9000 in late 2013 if they are not a fan.

I really think this paints a good picture surrounding one of the question marks of BB10. You really have to wonder why BlackBerry wasn't able to address the long boot up times with a completely new platform, while competitors have addressed this. The phone is essentially paralyzed until the hub has loaded.

Forgive the poor video quality, I turned it to the lowest setting so that it would not take forever to upload.

*The ending of the video where it is showing the phone apps is not relevant at all to this particular scenario, however note that if I did the same boot up test to see which device I can make a call on first from off, the phone app on the Z10 is still loading like the hub was while I can already make calls on the Bold 9000. *
    Cool. I still use mine several times a year. Brings back good memories with my BOLD. Thanks for posting the vid.
    09-29-13 08:51 PM
    My iPhone 5 only take about 30-40 seconds to boot up. I have found it much faster to start then my Blackberry.
    09-29-13 08:57 PM
    My iPhone 5 only take about 30-40 seconds to boot up. I have found it much faster to start then my Blackberry.
    And this is what I'm saying...shouldn't BlackBerry have used their own devices as a benchmark to beat for boot up time, let alone direct competition like newer iPhones? Where is the "moving forward" aspect to this? You should at least beat your old model, and of course be at least close to the competition - let alone beat them. The more complex nature of BB10 (vs BBOS) is irrelevant - the competition is able to boot faster with equally modern platforms.
    09-29-13 09:02 PM
    Oh how I loved the 9000. That was the hay day for Blackberry. Such a great phone.

Back to topic, it's just plain embarrassing that it beats the Z10. There isn't any sugar coating it, the Z10 just takes too long.
    09-29-13 09:04 PM
    I think anyone who has ever used the 9000 will agree it was a beauty in its day.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 09:08 PM
    I think anyone who has ever used the 9000 will agree it was a beauty in its day.

Posted via CB10
    I called Rogers today and had my APN settings changed so I can use data on it while I am on wifi lol
    09-29-13 09:09 PM
    While I use a Q10 right now full time, this is why I keep my 9900 around..."just in case"...lol.

There's much to be said about the efficiency and style of the older BB devices, especially the 9000...I may try one out if I can find one locally in good shape. Love the leather back.
    09-29-13 09:09 PM
    And this is what I'm saying...shouldn't BlackBerry have used their own devices as a benchmark to beat for boot up time, let alone direct competition like newer iPhones? Where is the "moving forward" aspect to this? You should at least beat your old model, and of course be at least close to the competition - let alone beat them. The more complex nature of BB10 (vs BBOS) is irrelevant - the competition is able to boot faster with equally modern platforms.
    My reply was to quickinstinct. They posted that waiting for the iPhone to boot up was like watching paint dry. That is why I said how long it took my iPhone to boot up. Sorry if it sounded like that was directed towards you.
    09-29-13 09:14 PM
    Actually the 9900 is probably my most favorite device ever the first time I got it it was a pleasure to look at. All the shiny around the bezel and the black everywhere else. I haven't owned a Q I have a Z but the Q must be spectacular.

Posted via CB10
    revtech likes this.
    09-29-13 09:23 PM
    Actually the 9900 is probably my most favorite device ever the first time I got it it was a pleasure to look at. All the shiny around the bezel and the black everywhere else. I haven't owned a Q I have a Z but the Q must be spectacular.

Posted via CB10
    I think the 9000 was better when it first came out than the 9900 when it first came out!!! Got the 9000 first day, 9900 first day, z10 first day lol
    09-29-13 09:26 PM
    I think the 9000 was better when it first came out than the 9900 when it first came out!!! Got the 9000 first day, 9900 first day, z10 first day lol
    Hah Ya, I got the 9000 in October of 2008 the 9900 august 3rd (got it earlier than most) but it was plagued by the self bricking over night bug and I had to send it out.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 09:29 PM
    So Bold, how do you think the boot up time compares with other new phones besides BlackBerry? Not a problem with me, just keep my Z10 on all the time.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 09:32 PM

Posted via CB10
    The Q10, in it's current state, with the 10.2 leaks is a beast! Great battery time, responsiveness, and features! I still love my 9900, and might pick up a 9000 locally for fun, if I can find one cheap and in good condition. The trackball is a classic...lol!!
    pjc007 likes this.
    09-29-13 09:33 PM
    So Bold, how do you think the boot up time compares with other new phones besides BlackBerry? Not a problem with me, just keep my Z10 on all the time.

Posted via CB10
    Well someone else stated the their iPhone is 30-40 seconds. So BB10 should have at least be close to that instead of what it is. Let alone slower than a phone from 2008 from the same maker.
    09-29-13 09:36 PM
    Oh how I miss my Bold. That was the last really revolutionary BlackBerry imo. A real OG.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 09:37 PM
    This is really interesting! I dont think its relevant because rarely does one go from a "cold start" to composing an email. But interesting none the less.

Aside: I have an old motorola startac (http://img.talkandroid.com/uploads/2...la_StarTAC.jpg) and I can put the battery in and be ready to make a call in about 5 seconds. Is that relevant? No
    BerryWizard and Spawn12 like this.
    09-29-13 09:43 PM
    This is really interesting! I dont think its relevant because rarely does one go from a "cold start" to composing an email. But interesting none the less.

Aside: I have an old motorola startac (http://img.talkandroid.com/uploads/2...la_StarTAC.jpg) and I can put the battery in and be ready to make a call in about 5 seconds. Is that relevant? No
    Well it could be an email, SMS, any type of message or call. I personally like to use it right away and have sat there waiting many times, not "#keepingmoving".

The point is not to name any device from our past that has a faster boot time than the Z10. BBOS is applicable as it is what people knew BlackBerry as until the Z10 was released (and that still applicable to a large extent) - and when you turn that new BB10 device on it is the same old thing - waiting longer than you have to for competing devices. BlackBerry should have moved away from this reputation of wait and freeze - and the user should be able to notice from the moment you press the power button. What ever has to be done to get this faster is not my concern, what is my concern is that the competition can do it faster.
    Its important to include the competition in this comparison as they are faster than the Z10 boot. But the fact that it is slower than the old BlackBerry people dislike (and that is why they moved to other platforms) is sad.
    09-29-13 09:54 PM
    I appreciate the comparison. Just for reference, my 9800 takes about 1 minute more than your 9000. Not sure what that tells you. It's newer too.
    09-29-13 10:01 PM
    I don't see the boot time comparison being relevant at all.

With my Torch 9810, I had to reboot multiple times per day. With my Q10, reboots are very rare, the random ones from placing it down too hard on a surface are really the only ones I get (now it's maybe once a week).

If you look at it from a daily or weekly time frame, the older BB's spend a lot more time rebooting than a BB10 phone will.
    09-29-13 10:36 PM
    just did the same test Q10 Vs 9900 - The 9900 smoked my Q10. 9900 booted first, the purple logo still loading on the Q, never mind waiting for the Hub.

Loved that 9000, what a beast!
    09-29-13 10:43 PM
    I don't see the boot time comparison being relevant at all.

With my Torch 9810, I had to reboot multiple times per day. With my Q10, reboots are very rare, the random ones from placing it down too hard on a surface are really the only ones I get (now it's maybe once a week).

If you look at it from a daily or weekly time frame, the older BB's spend a lot more time rebooting than a BB10 phone will.
    Quite frankly I'm sick of waiting for the hub to load before I can do anything. And no matter how frequent I restart t would be nice to have a boot time comparable to other platforms. It sounds like you are in Blackberry's camp of thinking it's a non-issue.
    cwalt2166, Donvald and donemt like this.
    09-29-13 10:43 PM
153 123 ...