What's with this touchscreen?

Try zooming in and out and moving around. Ouch. While it's generally possible, it's extremely clunky at best...a generally painful experience. Nothing like the fluidity of the iPhone.

If you're going to screw your core customers and come out with a device that ditches the previous functionality of your products after years of evolution in hopes of winning over other customers previously lost to the competition, you better introduce a product that's better than the competition.

There are all the times you: (i) tap the screen and it freezes or (ii) you need to tap 5 or 10 times to get the screen/device to do what you want (for example, turning the camera flash on or off: sometimes I get the screen to respond with one soft polite tap and something it takes numerous taps/volleys and then, maybe, if the God's align, I can get the next screen to open with the camera flash options).

Or, try using the flawed highlight function to copy, and cut or paste. Another pot luck experience. Sometimes it works perfectly and you can start with a small word and expand left and right, up and down (phew) and sometimes it just stays there...sometimes, the screen freezes, and sometimes you over highlight and then it won't "uhighlight" (very frustrating).

What's up Blackberry? Of course, a trackpad would have helped mitigate the Q10's touchscreen's navigation problems. Frankly, my recollection is that the touchscreen on the Bold was more responsive and fluid than on this device? Did they go backwards on this too? One would think that after 4-5 years of touchscreen experience, or whatever they have, they would be able to advance forward in touchscreen technology, not backwards.

BBY: if you are going to introduce a touchscreen dependent device with no trackpad (what a miscalculation that was, as if people want fewer options than more), you better do at least one thing well: make sure the touchscreen kiss a--.

(Accidentally originally posted in Z10 forum, sorry.)
    Last edited by SoxFan; 10-02-13 at 08:25 PM.
    Mack Gans likes this.
    09-28-13 10:36 AM
    Funny, I had to go through all kinds of pain this morning to get my iPhone to recognise I wanted to enter an extra amount when making my mortgage payment. It would accept the normal payment but not the additional amount to the principal.

All devices have their moments. I had one this morning with the iPhone. No device is 100% perfect 100% of the time.
    09-28-13 11:16 AM
    I don't have any of those problems. My screen is responsive as can be and it's snappy with rare lag or stuttering. I'm also running a 10.2 OS and have a Zagg Invisible Shield HD on it.
    09-28-13 11:22 AM
    Methinks the problem is between keyboard and floor.

However I have to agree with the highlight, copy and paste. Pain in the lower regions.
    bobek71 likes this.
    09-28-13 12:14 PM
    I have had all those problems on my Q. I'm just bought an HTC one. BlackBerry promised apps and I have yet to see them. Been a good run as this is my 5th blackberry in 5years but they are still behind and a ton of little things have added up for me to the point I can no longer defend or put up with.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 12:47 PM
    My Q10s touchscreen doesn't beahve as weird as yours. In some apps it is a bit hard to touch certain areas, however these problems appear to be application related, rather than hardware related. Because trying the same "spots" with the browser, there are zero problems.
    09-28-13 01:04 PM
    OP, I have only one of the problems that you mention, which is that cut/copy/paste sucks, but that is a touchscreen issue, not a BlackBerry 10 issue. Cut/copy/paste on all touchscreen devices sucks. I have not seen a mechanism that I have liked, having tried all systems. Text entry and text manipulation does not go well with touchscreen technology, period.

Everything else is specific to your device and usage. (This may point to a quality control issue with BlackBerry, however )

BBQ10
    edyts likes this.
    09-28-13 01:11 PM
    Just don't think BB has managed to figure out touchscreen technology quite yet. Love the Q10 but agree that the touchscreen is not very responsive or fluid.
    Mack Gans and SoxFan like this.
    09-28-13 01:57 PM
    Just don't think BB has managed to figure out touchscreen technology quite yet. Love the Q10 but agree that the touchscreen is not very responsive or fluid.
    Why is there a debate here? Is my device that flawed. Other people seem to be experiencing similar frustrations. I am currently sitting with a friends iPhone and the functioning of the touchscreen in terms of fluidity is night and day. We both agree. Hands down, now ambiguity, no debate.

It's not that the Q10 touchscreen zoom and move around functions dot work at all (sometimes I can't get to places/spaces on a page, but it usually woks ok.

It's just clunky versus fluid

And yet, so many people here say the Q10's touchscreen is amazing and the best on the market in terms of this functionality.

I don't get it.
    09-28-13 02:08 PM
    It's been more fluid than any other touchscreen device I've used. The only time it's been unresponsive is a few times when I first got my Q10 I wasn't able to push the 3dot button in the camera sometimes, but an update fixed that.

--Q10 and Canadian all the way! Posted via CB10 on 10.2.0.1443. #IChooseBlackBerry10
    09-28-13 02:08 PM
    Why is there a debate here? Is my device that flawed. Other people seem to be experiencing similar frustrations. I am currently sitting with a friends iPhone and the functioning of the touchscreen in terms of fluidity is night and day. We both agree. Hands down, now ambiguity, no debate.

It's not that the Q10 touchscreen zoom and move around functions dot work at all (sometimes I can't get to places/spaces on a page, but it usually woks ok.

And yet, so many people here say the Q10's touchscreen is amazing and the best on the market in terms of this functionality.

I don't get it.
    It sounds like you have a defective device.

--Q10 and Canadian all the way! Posted via CB10 on 10.2.0.1443. #IChooseBlackBerry10
    anon(1852343) likes this.
    09-28-13 02:10 PM
    Have you ever done the Hub Peek swipe? Clunky? Far from it.

SK122387 likes this.
    09-28-13 02:29 PM
    Not to be rude, but it seems all you do is start threads (and post in others threads) to specifically bash the Q10. If your device is defective, get a new one. If you just plain hate the Q10 and general BB10 experience, then buy a different brand and post your likes and dislikes of it on its' own specific forum.

Posted via CB10 on my sexy Q10
    09-28-13 03:14 PM
    I totally agree with SharonRD. As soon as I see your post I know it's going to be a negative one. If you hate the Q10 so much maybe it's time to switch to a device that you like. It's just a phone and makes you unhappy way to much.
    09-28-13 03:50 PM

I don't get it.
    So I beg leave to ask the question....why do you keep your Q10 if it's not satisfactory?
    FCSC, anon(1852343) and BullGuard8 like this.
    09-28-13 04:00 PM
    I totally agree with SharonRD. As soon as I see your post I know it's going to be a negative one. If you hate the Q10 so much maybe it's time to switch to a device that you like. It's just a phone and makes you unhappy way to much.
    Ha.....exactly my question....
    09-28-13 04:01 PM
    Sorry but either you're just bad at swiping or you have a defective device. My q10 is so fluid and fast, my ipod 5th gen with ios 7 or my galaxy s2 feel "clunky" in comparison. After using my q10, I find myself trying to swipe and use the gestures on my ipod or android phone, then I'm reminded that I can't navigate them like I can on my q10. So either try to get your defective unit replaced, try to learn the gestures, or move on to more simple phones that you can handle. Not that difficult.

Posted via CB10
    SK122387 likes this.
    09-28-13 04:12 PM
    just passed 250,000. maybe they need more fart apps?

I have had all those problems on my Q. I'm just bought an HTC one. BlackBerry promised apps and I have yet to see them. Been a good run as this is my 5th blackberry in 5years but they are still behind and a ton of little things have added up for me to the point I can no longer defend or put up with.

Posted via CB10
    SK122387 likes this.
    09-29-13 11:49 AM
    OP are you using a screen protector? Can cause issues.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 11:57 AM
    never had this issue except in a few apps where the problem was the app not the phone

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 01:58 PM
    OP are you using a screen protector? Can cause issues.
    Posted via CB10
    No screen protector.
    09-29-13 01:58 PM
    you are probably better off with an iPhone. they are pretty cheap now with the new plastic ones.

No screen protector.
    SK122387 likes this.
    09-29-13 05:10 PM
    What's with this touchscreen?

Try zooming in and out and moving around. Ouch. While it's generally possible, it's extremely clunky at best...a generally painful experience. Nothing like the fluidity of the iPhone.

If you're going to screw your core customers and come out with a device that ditches the previous functionality of your products after years of evolution in hopes of winning over other customers previously lost to the competition, you better introduce a product that's better than the competition.

There are all the times you: (i) tap the screen and it freezes or (ii) you need to tap 5 or 10 times to get the screen/device to do what you want (for example, turning the camera flash on or off: sometimes I get the screen to respond with one soft polite tap and something it takes numerous taps/volleys and then, maybe, if the God's align, I can get the next screen to open with the camera flash options).

Or, try using the flawed highlight function to copy, and cut or paste. Another pot luck experience. Sometimes it works perfectly and you can start with a small word and expand left and right, up and down (phew) and sometimes it just stays there...sometimes, the screen freezes, and sometimes you over highlight and then it won't "uhighlight" (very frustrating).

What's up Blackberry? Of course, a trackpad would have helped mitigate the Q10's touchscreen's navigation problems. Frankly, my recollection is that the touchscreen on the Bold was more responsive and fluid than on this device? Did they go backwards on this too? One would think that after 4-5 years of touchscreen experience, or whatever they have, they would be able to advance forward in touchscreen technology, not backwards.

BBY: if you are going to introduce a touchscreen dependent device with no trackpad (what a miscalculation that was, as if people want fewer options than more), you better do at least one thing well: make sure the touchscreen kiss a--.

(Accidentally originally posted in Z10 forum, sorry.)
    Wowow my screen is hyper smooth, I'd check yer ins ffer service! In comparison way more fluid than iphone!

Posted in CB forums and on Bbos leak 10.2.1047
    09-29-13 05:48 PM
    My Q10, knock on wood, is running super slick and smooth.

We had some initial setup and new phone issues. Yesterday after restoring from an old BB7 backup of data the screen froze, lines went across the screen, and the screen went black but the phone was still on. I did a fresh install of the OS, manually entered my old data (contacts/passwords), and updated to the latest official BB10 OS build. What I noticed was it got slow initially (as it builds the hub, syncs first time with emails, builds the contact list, apps sync) and gets warm but then settles down. It's been smooth as far as touch goes since. Also screen protectors can screw up touch sensitivity.

I also found that it takes a little time to get used to the screen shape/size and the gestures. Once you get that down you should notice even more smoothness. At first I was triggering apps, swiping into the hub, or locking the phone because I didn't fine tune my swipes.
    09-29-13 08:35 PM
    I have been suggesting that he does this for a while. Something just doesn't seem right here. He does nothing but complain and say the Q10 and BB10 are crap, but he doesn't move to something else. I don't think he believes those who have a great experience with the devices. This doesn't pass the smell test. He needs to move on, or he just likes to complain or likes the attention.
    SharonRD and anon(1852343) like this.
    09-29-13 08:44 PM
51 123