Hello,

I have a Q10 / OS 10.1.0.4181 which I like very much.

On Friday evening, the screen of my Q10 was black and I could not manage to turn it on. I thought it was a battery issue so I charged it. After an hour or so, I pulled the battery and restarted the blackberry. The red led turned on but the screen did not. The keyboard light came on and I heard notices of messages coming through but the screen was still black. I took an HDMI cable and plugged the blackberry onto my TV. I discovered, amazed, that my device was, in fact, running as I could see it on TV. I could even touch the screen of my device (despite the screen being black) to perform all the usual tasks. My Q10 was thus working but the screen was black. Odd!

I ran Blackberry link and restored the OS. Miracle. It worked. The screen did turn on.

However, this morning, as I tried to wake my blackberry up again, the screen was stuck on black. Battery pull. No, doesn't work. Still black and I can see that the phone is running because the keyboard lights up and I get notification of new messages (LED blinks). After a few minutes, the screen turned on. And it is currently working. For how long?

Has anyone experienced this before? I need to stress that my Q10 did not undergo any shock or any damage of any sort.

Do I need to send it for repair? Should I upgrade the OS with a leak?

Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mike.
    09-28-13 04:08 AM
    I would say that's a defective device and suggest you take it to your provider for replacement.
    09-28-13 07:44 AM
    It is challenged here. Usually works. But sometimes just won't turn on. Requires a battery pull. Just another problem. Suck it up and live w it.

Of course, you have to endure a lengthy boot up cycle. In this day and age when boot up times are getting so very short on ever more complex devices, BBY decides to embrace mediocrity and shove it in our face. I am not sure they realize that customer have high standards, and that it's a competitive market place.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 09:41 AM
    I'd take it back to your carrer/store and get a replacement. This behaviour is surely not common. At least my Q10 hasn't done that since the day I got it. Sometimes the screen doesn't turn on after a phone call - when I take the phone from my ear. This is usually related to a dirty proximity sensor.
    09-28-13 10:02 AM
    I had the same issue. It was due to the fact I dropped it a few times. I took it to my repair guy and just fixed the connector to the LCD which got disconnected it wasn't too expensive either.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 01:47 AM
    I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST ME! OMG! Like yes! i can see the key board light up and the red light flash! and it vibrates when i have a message but the screen doesnt work!!!!
    02-12-14 08:57 PM
    I am experiencing this too and it might be related to a "light drop" since this seems to be when it started happening. I've only dropped the phone twice though and it's in very, very, good condition so I wouldn't expect problems like this... seems like poor quality to me..
    07-22-14 04:20 PM
    I had this issue but it was because I replaced my screen after it shattered. The screen I received did not work, but the device was turning on. A restore didn't make it come back to life. I went back to my old broken screen and low and behold, the screen turned on.

It isn't the same scenario, but what I'm trying to say is that you most likely have a defective phone and you should get it replaced.

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    07-22-14 10:16 PM
    could also be a loose or broken ribbon connector
    07-23-14 07:16 AM
    I am having the same problem with Z30. At first I thought I bricked it, but then someone brought up this idea of trying to connect to a TV set via HDMI. And voil�!
    In my case it happened after the battery died completely.
    I've had it for 2 weeks, never dropped it. Seems like a defective device.
    unical likes this.
    11-27-14 01:04 PM
    I am having the same problem with Z30. At first I thought I bricked it, but then someone brought up this idea of trying to connect to a TV set via HDMI. And voil�!
    In my case it happened after the battery died completely.
    I've had it for 2 weeks, never dropped it. Seems like a defective device.
    Did you find a solution to this? Because on my z30 battery also died today and screen is black.. But it works through HDMI.
    01-06-15 07:16 PM
    just to let others know.. I've ordered a new screen, received it today and have changed it. It took about 5mins and everything works again! Hopefully no more depleted battery good luck to everyone else
    01-09-15 05:58 AM
    Did you find a solution to this? Because on my z30 battery also died today and screen is black.. But it works through HDMI.
    Haven't been here for a while and did not notice your question. I was given a replacement device, since at the time I only had it for 2 weeks, but if it wasn't valid for a replacement, I would do the same - order a new digitizer like you did.
    01-11-15 05:51 PM
    Burn screen, probably you left it out in the sun for a long period of time

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 06:20 PM
    could also be a loose or broken ribbon connector
    I forgot to say this in my post. The ribbon connector on the first replacement screen I received did not fit properly and that's why the screen wouldn't turn on. The second screen I received had a ribbon cable that snapped correctly into the motherboard and it worked.

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    01-12-15 07:59 AM
    Same problem this to me my black berry q10 screen also black bur touch and everything work well but screen is black you have any solution for this
    02-15-15 01:44 AM
    My screen is black. I can connect to TV via HDMI. I ran BlackBerry Virtual Expert and was able to verify the touch screen and everything works except the display remains black.
    I have a Z30. this issue happened after i did the OTA update to 10.3.1. I think it is an OS issue and not a LCD display issue. I have since autoloaded an older version and a newer version of OD and the same issue. I hope the OS didn't fry my LCD display itself. very suspicious as I see several people are seeing simuilar issues and are replacing their displays yet i think there is a connection with the OS.
    02-22-15 10:10 PM
    Same issue here, but on the morning after my upgrade to 10.3. The timing doesn't strike me as a coincidence. As yet, no fixes. A phone call to tech support at Telus coming up really soon. (From another phone, of course)
    02-27-15 07:03 AM
    Check my post here. Worked for a z30 doing the same thing. Bug in the OS is messing with screen wake up if phones battery drains to 0.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post11408473
    02-27-15 12:10 PM
    Mine as well, even my batt still available. I must click the off button many times to wake up the phone. Sometimes when someone call me, the screen won't wake up. It's quite annoying
    02-27-15 01:31 PM
    I'm having some issues with Q10 after replacing the keyboard. Device powers on using the power button but no power down options when I hold the button down. If I continue to hold the power button after about 15 seconds phone reboot. Volume buttons don't work but I can hold both down and phone reboots like it should. Screen works but goes black after few seconds and won't come back to life. If I plug in to a computer or charger screen comes back to life and continues where I left off.
    02-27-15 06:29 PM
    Any solution to this? So so frustrating!
    03-24-15 09:50 PM
    Same problem here with my Q10! I even went so far as to replace the screen. It powered right up with the screen working ( so we know it's not the hardware!) then as soon as it faded to black, the same black screen again! ANY fixes? ANYONE? Why is BB not recalling these bad devices?!!!!
    07-25-15 10:59 PM
    Hey everyone!

I had the same black screen after dropping my Q10.
    the LCD contact was disconnected from the impact, fixed it back to it's place with just a gentle push.
    10-30-15 09:12 PM