App name: Fire Chest Backup

Summary:

Fire Chest Backup is a native BlackBerry 10 application that allows you to backup any or all of Calendar, Camera, Contacts, Documents, Downloads, Remember. Data is encrypted on your phone before being uploaded, which prevents corporations, governments, spammers, and identity thieves from archiving and data-mining your private and personal data. For example, Journalists can use the app when crossing borders (install, backup, wipe, cross border, install, restore) to prevent their work from being compromised.

Hey guys, just noticed this app in the new arrivals section. It's a native app that allows back up to your cloud service. For now, it seems that they are only supporting DropBox, but on their website they state that they are looking to release a version that saves to Mega. They are also developing an application so that we will soon be able decrypt backups onto our Windows, Mac, or Linux desktop. To me, it seems very much like the old BlackBerry Protect on legacy devices with the exception that it cannot back up application data and system settings. So no Password Keeper backups I am going to email them about allowing to backup to other cloud services like Box. See what their response will be. But you guys should try it out. It's supported for 10.1 and 10.2 devices for all 4 BlackBerry 10 devices.

Link to app: BlackBerry World - Fire Chest Backup

Link to website: Fire Chest Backup

Price: FREE
    nappp, BCITMike, Akuji_ism and 2 others like this.
    09-28-13 02:40 AM
    Password keeper data is sandboxed and inaccessible. The dev won't be able to access it.
    09-28-13 08:33 AM
    Will have a look...
    Do you know if i can save my pin Messages ?
    09-29-13 11:25 AM
    No support for PIN messages in the current free version which only supports:

Calendar
    Camera
    Contacts
    Documents
    Downloads
    Remember

Pro version wish list *hopes* to add:

- Books
    - Bookmarks
    - Map favourites
    - Music
    - Photos
    - PIN messages
    - Playlists
    - Print
    - SMS / MMS
    - Videos

...all in a highly polished app!
    ESCON, cman5, the_igg and 2 others like this.
    09-29-13 02:54 PM
    Weird that the app is asking for dropbox username and password to upload the file, when the app can use the dropbox integration of the device to upload the file.How do I know the username and password isn't just being sent to the developer.
    Likewise with the data. How do I know the data isn't just being sent to the developer?

(Not that I'm saying thats what is happening, but I'm just a bit suspicious.)
    FF22 likes this.
    09-30-13 12:08 AM
    I'm not sure if it's different with Cascades, but I don't think you can just back something up to Dropbox using the device Dropbox connection used in the file manager except by using the device file manager.
    09-30-13 12:26 AM

- Books
    - Bookmarks
    - Map favourites
    - Music
    - Photos
    - PIN messages
    - Playlists
    - Print
    - SMS / MMS
    - Videos

Once you can add the Support of pin Messages make sure to let me know those are my only important Things i need to Backup ...

And thx for showing up here
    09-30-13 01:08 AM
    No support for PIN messages in the current free version which only supports:

Calendar
    Camera
    Contacts
    Documents
    Downloads
    Remember

- Books
    - Bookmarks
    - Map favourites
    - Music
    - Photos
    - PIN messages
    - Playlists
    - Print
    - SMS / MMS
    - Videos

Love this app, thanks. Please update on when any of these pro features are available. Bookmarks is what I'm looking forward to...

Tapped out on Halle (Black)Berry aka Z10 running 10.2.0.1443
    FireChestApps likes this.
    10-02-13 12:20 AM
    Weird that the app is asking for dropbox username and password to upload the file, when the app can use the dropbox integration of the device to upload the file.How do I know the username and password isn't just being sent to the developer.
    Likewise with the data. How do I know the data isn't just being sent to the developer?

(Not that I'm saying thats what is happening, but I'm just a bit suspicious.)
    I had/have the same questions - to be frank, it is not only for this app but any app with permission to "visit the internet". I kind of hope that when apps such as this are formally released through Appworld, that BB has checked out what is happening but I don't know how thorough their testing is. Obviously, an app like this needs access to the Internet and that means access to WHERE? Anywhere?
    10-02-13 03:33 PM
    A better option would be to save backups locally, to a folder which syncs with the cloud. That way they don't have to implement all the cloud backends themselves and people don't need to give away any password or give the app access to the Internet.
    Last edited by ofutur; 10-03-13 at 04:21 AM.
    shaunj539 and ESCON like this.
    10-03-13 03:18 AM
    Yes the paid version will support Dropbox, Box, Mega, and...SD card! All available in a single app.

Currently the app uses the Dropbox API and redirects you to Dropbox to enter your login details. The app itself doesn't see the password and it only has access to the single folder it creates in your Dropbox.

Of course there is nothing one can say to alleviate doubt about the security of any app or even the any OS for that matter. It's all words on the screen.
    FF22 and the_igg like this.
    10-03-13 07:23 AM
    Yes the paid version will support Dropbox, Box, Mega, and...SD card! All available in a single app.

Currently the app uses the Dropbox API and redirects you to Dropbox to enter your login details. The app itself doesn't see the password and it only has access to the single folder it creates in your Dropbox.

Of course there is nothing one can say to alleviate doubt about the security of any app or even the any OS for that matter. It's all words on the screen.
    Thanks for considering SD card support
    BB, does audit apps for security issues. The more permissions are being asked or the more sensitive the data is, the more tests they do, so that's a reassuring point, but you're right, mostly words on the screen, unless someone takes the time to look at the code, memory, etc.
    Also, it might be worth explaining a bit how the encryption is done locally.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-03-13 07:46 AM

Yes! Box support. Finally get use the space that I have there. Great for me seeing as to how my Dropbox is almost full already. Thanks for listening dev!

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 08:49 AM
    Twitter account for the app just created: @FireChestDotCom
    10-03-13 09:40 AM
    I would like to know, specifically what is backed up in the contacts...

Picture?
    Birthday?
    Anniversary?
    How many phone number fields?
    How many email fields?
    Websites?
    Company/ job titles?
    Any notes added to contact?

Thank you for the information. I am very interested in the app, especially now that I know Box is supported.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 10:16 AM
    Contact photo is not currently backed up. This is because some people might link a contact with a corresponding Facebook contact and use the Facebook contact photo. Since contact links are not backed up, contact photo backup becomes meaningless. I am looking into trying to save contact photo's that are based on images (not links to outside contacts).

Otherwise all text-based fields are backed up. Including notes.

Box isn't supported yet. We are working on a Pro version that will support Box. Estimate 3 months to get support for everything in a single app.

Then there is extensive testing too. Bugs are unacceptable when it comes to backup/restore apps.
    the_igg, CMcRob and sparkaction like this.
    10-04-13 12:14 PM
    Thanks for the soon-to-come Box support. Yeah it's better to take your time to get the bugs ironed out or people might start saying the app is gonna sell their data to the NSA or something
    10-04-13 12:43 PM
    It does good job at backing-up, but restoring Contacts lasts forever (hour and more)... Is it normal, or some problem with me only?
    10-10-13 10:16 AM
    I downloaded this app on my previous OS and it royally screwed up my contacts. Instead of taking a copy it seemed to rip the contacts from my phone and when I tried to restore it never would get further than 75%. I will not be downloading this app and I advise you use with caution in its beginning stages. Great app but has a few bugs still. I will not be re-downloading.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 11:55 AM
    I believe that if you are restoring a relatively large number of contacts and you let the screen timeout engage, then the phone processor powers down causing the app to slow down too. I am working on a fix to prevent the phone processor from going to sleep whilst backup/restore is occurring. Releasing an update late next week.

The update will also support the option of non-encrypted backup in which case the format will be vCard 3.0 for contacts and iCalendar for calendar entries.
    10-10-13 11:50 PM
    Yeah maybe that's the cause. I never really watched it the whole time. It would just freeze during the decrypting phase and not move. I left it stuck in the same spot for probably an hour on 2 separate occasions.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-13 01:05 AM
    Lucky I used intouch contacts at the same time as when I used this application for the first time, as it was left over night and still did not decrypt the contacts part. Hopefully you will provide a fix for it soon as using a one stop app for everything will be far more convenient!

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 02:59 AM
    It's been 4 weeks since Fire Chest Backup launched and we are pleased to announce the upcoming release of an updated version.

Version 1.2.1.5 has been submitted and should be available in 48 hours. It's a solid release that focuses on stability. The slow/paused restore problem for large backups has been fixed.

Several user requested features have also been added.

Everyone please update to version 1.2.1.5 as soon as it is available.

Next update in 4 weeks...keep the feedback and feature requests coming...we are listening.
    Marko M1, FF22, the_igg and 2 others like this.
    10-31-13 04:16 AM
    Nice! Love the fact that there is a constant update cycle. Will wait for the update! Thanks guys

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 05:29 AM
    Why is it that Fire Chest will only backup if it is open. As soon as I minimise to it's Active Frame, the upload pauses. This means I basically can't use my phone when it's uploading a backup.

Would it be possible to change this behaviour?

Posted via CB10
    shaunj539 likes this.
    11-01-13 03:35 PM
210 123 ...