Oh my god. Candy Crush is valued at 5 billion. A stupid time wasting video game is valued more than BBRY. What the frik?

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta

"Candy Crush game creator preps for IPO

By Alanna Petroff
    updated 8:06 AM EDT, Tue Oct 1, 2013
    LONDON (CNNMoney) -- The U.K. company behind the wildly popular online game Candy Crush Saga is preparing for a stock market listing.

London-based King has filed for an initial public offering in New York, said a source familiar with the deal.

According to media reports, King plans to list on the Nasdaq and has made a confidential filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The IPO is reported to be worth roughly $5 billion.

Filing in secret with the SEC is becoming increasingly popular as it allows small companies to keep their financial data private for longer while they prepare the ground with investors. Twitter revealed last month that it had opted to file in this way.

King declined to comment on its plans.

The company's games are played more than one billion times each day and its signature game -- Candy Crush Saga -- currently ranks among the most popular and lucrative mobile games in the world.

According to an estimate from online gaming consultant Think Gaming, Candy Crush rakes in roughly $850,000 per day and has 7.5 million active daily users on Apple's iOS platform.

But investors may pause before snapping up the shares after watching the rise and precipitous fall of Zynga, another gaming company that went public in late 2011 only for its most popular game -- Farmville -- to fall out of favor.

King's success so far has hinged on its ability to get people to play games for free, and then convince players to pay for additional in-game perks once they're hooked.

"King has really focused on monetizing the core game experience very successfully," said Ian Fogg, director of mobile research at IHS. "The challenge with mobile games is, it's a hit-based business."

The risk is that King may not be able to keep its audience interested as other games and applications vie for audience attention.

The preparations for an IPO come as the firm hires a new chief financial officer, Hope Cochran, who previously worked at Clearwire, which was acquired by Sprint.

Bank of America, JP Morgan and Credit Suisse are reported to be working with King on the listing. All three banks declined to comment."
    Last edited by elite1; 10-14-13 at 01:22 PM. Reason: added quote of CNNMoney article
    09-27-13 06:40 PM
    People always talk about no way for BlackBerry to monetize BBM....how the hell do you monetize that crap? That's a joke.

Posted via CB10
    hf199 likes this.
    09-27-13 06:43 PM
    Must be a really good game
    09-27-13 06:43 PM
    Candy Crush maker valued at  Billion in IPO-screen-shot-2013-09-27-4.44.02-pm.png
    Worked out great for them.... /s
    https://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:ZNGA
    09-27-13 06:44 PM
    At least it's British lol

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 06:45 PM
    Must be a really good game
    That's not on BlackBerry.

This is a clear indication of how developers doesn't need BlackBerry or Windows. They are doing just fine with the big two.

I wonder how much other popular app are valued at?

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 06:46 PM
    That's not on BlackBerry.

This is a clear indication of how developers doesn't need BlackBerry or Windows. They are doing just fine with the big two.

I wonder how much other popular app are valued at?

Posted via CB10
    What does that have to do with the discussion?
    MERCDROID likes this.
    09-27-13 06:56 PM
    Zynga was always a scam, run by its disgusting scumbag founder Pincus, who openly told his employees to copy everything they see:
    "I don't ******* want innovation," the ex-employee recalls Pincus saying. "You're not smarter than your competitor. Just copy what they do and do it until you get their numbers."
    FarmVillains - Page 1 - News - San Francisco - SF Weekly

The Fall Of Mark Pincus: From Billionaire To Zynga's Former CEO - Forbes
    09-27-13 07:00 PM
    I brought that up because it's very relevant to the app state of BlackBerry.

BlackBerry users want apps more than ever. The phone itself is not enough go keep a user.

With Candy Crush being valued this high is amazing. BlackBerry users beg, email, and tweet for this or that app, when the devs are making money on just two platforms. There's no need to develop for BlackBerry if you're making more than enough in revenues.

So, this could be a clear indication of why we, BlackBerry users aren't seeing the Instagram, Netflix, CANDY CRUSH, or any other popular apps.

This is all my opinion of course.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 07:07 PM
    People always talk about no way for BlackBerry to monetize BBM....how the hell do you monetize that crap? That's a joke.

Posted via CB10
    Except Candy Crush has already proven that they've figured out how to monetize, to the tune of $600,000 - $850,000 a day. How? Create something people enjoy and are willing to pay money for.
    helio9965 and 21stNow like this.
    09-27-13 07:10 PM
    What does that have to do with the discussion?
    Wondering how how other apps are valued at? Or that candy crush isn't available on win8 or bb10?

Both seem valid to me, especially since we hear "we don't need apps" all the frigging time.
    walt63 likes this.
    09-27-13 07:14 PM
    Candy crush is brilliant because it gets people to pay for extra time to play. Get hooked, want to keep playing? Pay up. You can fool the system by changing the date on your phone, doubt most people know this though. I side loaded the app and it works perfectly.
    09-27-13 08:17 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-09-27 at 4.44.02 PM.png 
Views:	2710 
Size:	234.7 KB 
ID:	205851
    Worked out great for them.... /s
    https://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:ZNGA
    Interesting. You are making fun of Zynga (a purely gaming company) for having a market cap of around $3 billion while BBRY currently has a cap of around $4.2 billion (down from over $80 billion.)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-27-13 08:19 PM
    Zynga was always a scam, run by its disgusting scumbag founder Pincus, who openly told his employees to copy everything they see:

FarmVillains - Page 1 - News - San Francisco - SF Weekly

The Fall Of Mark Pincus: From Billionaire To Zynga's Former CEO - Forbes
    Sounds like normal business.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    09-27-13 08:33 PM
    Interesting. You are making fun of Zynga (a purely gaming company) for having a market cap of around $3 billion while BBRY currently has a cap of around $4.2 billion (down from over $80 billion.)

A game no one cares about is worth $5 billion, and BlackBerry is worth $4.7 billion. That's kinda messed up.
    wireless_surfer likes this.
    09-27-13 08:35 PM
    A game no one cares about is worth $5 billion, and BlackBerry is worth $4.7 billion. That's kinda messed up.
    You are joking, right? Millions play Candy Crush and I've read reports that it brings in $600-800,000 a day.

helio9965 likes this.
    09-27-13 08:44 PM
    Can you explain whats so messed up about it? A company who makes millions of dollars every week ($600,000 a day) is worth more than a company that just posted a half billion dollar loss.
    bobauckland likes this.
    09-27-13 08:44 PM
    I love BlackBerry but I think $5 billion says people do care about the game. And less and less care about BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 08:46 PM
    katiepea, you rock =)
    09-27-13 08:52 PM
    This thread really says it all about BlackBerry's future! This is why the end has arrived!

Swiped On My Zed10
    09-27-13 08:58 PM
    You are joking, right? Millions play Candy Crush and I've read reports that it brings in $600-800,000 a day.

I'll break it down.

"An app no one cares about" is the standard fanboy line since it isn't available on bb10 other than stealing it through side loading.

As for the messed up part, that just shows how bad it is for bbry when a game is worth more than them.
    richardat, aniym, m1a1mg and 1 others like this.
    09-27-13 09:00 PM
    I need to start using comic sans when I'm being sarcastic....
    09-27-13 09:02 PM
    And we wonder what's wrong with this planet. ....when a game can be valued so High, there issues with society IMO.

CB10'n it.....via my Z
    playboldbook and tmanthib like this.
    09-27-13 09:08 PM
    And we wonder what's wrong with this planet. ....when a game can be valued so High, there issues with society IMO.

CB10'n it.....via my Z
    And I was thinking the fact that Reality TV was the downfall of our society
    eddy_berry and FSeverino like this.
    09-27-13 09:17 PM
    And I was thinking the fact that Reality TV was the downfall of our society
    Well...that too

CB10'n it.....via my Z
    Lendo likes this.
    09-27-13 09:20 PM
70 123