What could be the future of BlackBerry 10 OS if BlackBerry exits the handset business and no longer makes phones?

Sure, one possibility is that they license it out and/or find a strategic partnership (even after the Fairfax buyout) to make phones for them. Then, they would have a direct, sound reason to keep updating and advancing the OS.

However, what if they abandon handsets altogether? Would they spend any further effort into updating and advancing BlackBerry 10 OS at all?

Or, would they just continue to provide maintenence updates until the 4 handsets they currently have out are considered end-of-life?

What is the most likely outcome that you think will happen? Sound off in the comments!

...er...I mean in the replies. Sorry, forgot I don't actually write for CB yet...just a dream of mine.

-STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.4780 TMO US
    09-27-13 04:25 PM
    IMO the most likely outcome is that Fairfax buys BlackBerry, makes some new phones, and advertises them like crazy in the US and blows the socks off the competition.
    09-27-13 04:28 PM
    IMO the most likely outcome is that Fairfax buys BlackBerry, makes some new phones, and advertises them like crazy in the US and blows the socks off the competition.
    Even Dr. Sheldon Cooper of the hit-series Big Bang Theory would know that's sarcasm.

09-27-13 04:29 PM
    Even Dr. Sheldon Cooper of the hit-series Big Bang Theory would know that's sarcasm.

Why would it be sarcasm?
    What shortcomings does BB10 have other than horrific advertising, clear media bias, and a few missing mainstream apps and games that are only not there because of the failed advertising and media bias?
    09-27-13 04:48 PM
    Why would it be sarcasm?
    What shortcomings does BB10 have other than horrific advertising, clear media bias, and a few missing mainstream apps and games that are only not there because of the failed advertising and media bias?
    Oh were you not being sarcastic? Sorry...I have my shields up so high due to all the naysayers on here lately.

Okay, I hear ya, but how can that be the most likely scenario? I'm not sure I see that.

09-27-13 04:49 PM
    All we need is a bit of re-branding.

What could be the future of BlackBerry 10 OS if BBRY exits handset biz?-qnxzed10.jpg
    09-27-13 08:04 PM
    Oh were you not being sarcastic? Sorry...I have my shields up so high due to all the naysayers on here lately.

Okay, I hear ya, but how can that be the most likely scenario? I'm not sure I see that.

BlackBerry's problem is all perception. Maybe fright is right, and re-branding would help

Why would Fairfax buy BlackBerry except to use it?
    Crackberrykills likes this.
    09-27-13 10:57 PM
    I like the way you think. I hope that happens.
    SCrid2000 likes this.
    09-28-13 12:49 AM
    I think it's a great idea! Focus on making BlackBerry 10 better software.

BlackBerry is losing a lot of money by developing handsets.

Make it suitable for tablets too. QNX capability for vehicle. Better maps. Better softwares. More adopters, A lot of work!

Bbm to make a better platform for social and business.

Sell OS! But occasionally comming out with a few handset of their own.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by nuke99; 09-28-13 at 01:38 AM.
    09-28-13 01:16 AM
    Ah, the naivet...

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 10:07 AM
    Ah, the naivet...

Posted via CB10
    Naivet isn't a word.
    09-28-13 10:11 AM
    I think it's a great idea! Focus on making BlackBerry 10 better software.

BlackBerry is losing a lot of money by developing handsets.

Make it suitable for tablets too. QNX capability for vehicle. Better maps. Better softwares. More adopters, A lot of work!

Bbm to make a better platform for social and business.

Sell OS! But occasionally comming out with a few handset of their own.
    Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry - The Resilient Empire - N4BB
    09-28-13 10:53 AM
    Damn auto correct!

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 11:25 AM
    Damn auto correct!

Posted via CB10
    Auto correct won't correct to a word that's not a word
    09-28-13 11:34 AM
    What could be the future of BlackBerry 10 OS if BlackBerry exits the handset business and no longer makes phones?

Sure, one possibility is that they license it out and/or find a strategic partnership (even after the Fairfax buyout) to make phones for them. Then, they would have a direct, sound reason to keep updating and advancing the OS.

However, what if they abandon handsets altogether? Would they spend any further effort into updating and advancing BlackBerry 10 OS at all?

Or, would they just continue to provide maintenence updates until the 4 handsets they currently have out are considered end-of-life?

What is the most likely outcome that you think will happen? Sound off in the comments!

...er...I mean in the replies. Sorry, forgot I don't actually write for CB yet...just a dream of mine.

Look at the big 3 : Google, apple and Microsoft : all doing it from hardware, service and software. Even Samsung has its own ecosystem.
    There is no chance you can compete without managing it from services to hardware. Even in the business segment they need to control the hole range.

Why should somebody use bes10 to manage Samsung devices if they can use Samsungs service as well? I mean it's not as good as bes yet, but will be.
    And bbm as standalone company is worth nothing. Anyone could write such a cross platform messenger app and use the valued 5billion for marketing instead...

I think there is no market for BlackBerry as a software only company.
    Therefore I believe they try to stick to it as long as they have cash. If that doesn't work within a few years they will sell it in parts and Mr watsa gets some good revenue...

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 11:46 AM
    Auto correct won't correct to a word that's not a word
    Burn!

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 05:20 PM