1. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX and abhi7848 like this.
    09-26-13 07:11 PM
    The prices in India actually were reduced by 31%. - http://forums.crackberry.com/general...ia-now-854064/
    09-26-13 07:18 PM
    The fact is that Z10 was priced way too high and the people also believed that the brand was meant for corporates and it could not be used to play games or use whatsapp or whatever else they were interested in.

They have now slashed the price to below 30k which is equivalent to about $400 and these are unlocked. BlackBerry should have initially been sold at this price point. It would have got traction and they should have marketed it like hell. The ads that were sent out to the studios were really ****ty.

Posted via CB10
    Fr3lncr, abhi7848, milo53 and 3 others like this.
    09-26-13 07:19 PM
  4. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Thanks... they should have flooded those markets at cost to get the base.... marketing idiots!!.... then they could have followed with premium phones like z30 etc with a strong loyal base to build upon..... unfathomable!!

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 07:24 PM
    I'm sure that was the plan(flood the market) regarding the Zs. Unfortunately, the carriers(in the US) disagreed.
    ranzabar and badiyee like this.
    09-26-13 07:32 PM
    A rare thread by traveler!
    09-26-13 07:35 PM
    North americans still don't get the android scene in china, india and developing countries. The only way blackberry can compete would be through BB10 license agreement at cost. It simple can't get into a low cost manufacturing war against the chinese and indian companies. They have brands you have never heard that are knocking out apple and samsung.
    app_Developer likes this.
    09-26-13 07:39 PM
    Forget about India, why is it that carriers in Canada are still charging an arm and a leg for a BB10 device. I saw prices like $149 on contract for a Q10 just tonight. And you have the HTC One sitting next to it at $49. Who's being greedy here, Blackberry or the resellers?
    Mack Gans and milo53 like this.
    09-26-13 08:36 PM
    The fact is that Z10 was priced way too high and the people also believed that the brand was meant for corporates and it could not be used to play games or use whatsapp or whatever else they were interested in.

They have now slashed the price to below 30k which is equivalent to about $400 and these are unlocked. BlackBerry should have initially been sold at this price point. It would have got traction and they should have marketed it like hell. The ads that were sent out to the studios were really ****ty.

Posted via CB10
    Makes sense, why Million Dollar Frank Boulben couldn't anticipate that, boggles ones mind.
    09-26-13 08:44 PM
    Isn't the OP one of those guys who thought BlackBerry could do no wrong?
    09-26-13 09:49 PM
    I agree. I have a friend who hates her S3 and is thinking of the Z10. A price reduction will be a strong factor for her. Unfortunately, she is with Tmobile.

Curve 8320, Bold 9780, Bold 9900, PB 64gb, Z10
    09-26-13 10:19 PM
    They botched up the Z10 in India by launching it at a price exceeding all the contemporary smartphones at launch and the audience quickly dismissed it. The recent discounts are only seen as a desperate move for a failed product. No sale is going to move the Z10 in India anymore. They lost the plot at launch.
    It was funny that when the Rupee was stronger, they launched at high prices, and are now lowering the price when the Rupee is much weaker (almost 13% weaker). A purchase from the UK at the time of the launch, combined with shipping and duty was proving cheaper by almost Rs. 8000.00 (USD 150 at the time) and online retailers tried to take advantage of the situation. However, lack of BlackBerry customer support thwarted their efforts and the Z10 simply failed as a whole.
    They will have to reboot the series to gain traction again.
    The name Z10 has some stigma to it now.

The prices in India actually were reduced by 31%. - http://forums.crackberry.com/general...ia-now-854064/
    BroncoVAL and Mack Gans like this.
    09-26-13 10:33 PM
    They botched up the Z10 in India by launching it at a price exceeding all the contemporary smartphones at launch and the audience quickly dismissed it. The recent discounts are only seen as a desperate move for a failed product. No sale is going to move the Z10 in India anymore. They lost the plot at launch.
    It was funny that when the Rupee was stronger, they launched at high prices, and are now lowering the price when the Rupee is much weaker (almost 13% weaker). A purchase from the UK at the time of the launch, combined with shipping and duty was proving cheaper by almost Rs. 8000.00 (USD 150 at the time) and online retailers tried to take advantage of the situation. However, lack of BlackBerry customer support thwarted their efforts and the Z10 simply failed as a whole.
    They will have to reboot the series to gain traction again.
    The name Z10 has some stigma to it now.
    Actually... come to think of it... the entire time BlackBerry phones were being sold till 2010, they were sold as corporate tools. Samsung sold all those phones dirt cheap because the people wanted another option to BlackBerry and Apple and Nokia, and something to do to pass their time or play games. BlackBerry lost the plot then and when they released the 9860's a little later the rot had begun.

I still believed that Z10 could pull big if they got the plot... but the guys there were just stuck with both their thumbs up their behinds and ears and eyes glued to watching and listening their colleagues who coincidentally were doing the same thing. I am so upset the way BlackBerry is playing it out there right now.

I am not an armchair CEO, even if I behave to be one, but learn... Please learn... there is still some time left.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 02:04 AM
    Thanks... they should have flooded those markets at cost to get the base.... marketing idiots!!.... then they could have followed with premium phones like z30 etc with a strong loyal base to build upon..... unfathomable!!

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely. They should have flooded all markets in this way. Either they weren't aware of how bad their reputation was, or they wanted to fail. Everyone in the world except BlackBerry marketing knew what they had to do.

Fable Publishing: C0012255F
    Mack Gans likes this.
    09-27-13 03:05 AM
    Well maybe you armchair Richardats could have liked posts like these a year ago when the strategy would actually have made a difference (it's way too late now), instead of just telling I was a troll/stupid/liar and insisting I get out! While insisting that RIM is a giant powerhouse that Google and Apple were terrified of ;-)

I won't quote specifically what certain people were claiming back then but lets just say some people were rather assertive that z10 sales were record-setting and outstanding.
    (over-the-top credit to those who claimed it would outsell iphone this year, and especially to at least one person who thought it would exceed iphone's userbase this year(!!!))

If RIM had Apple's market in North America, I'd probably agree with the OP's focus that they should focus on a couple of high end models, especially given RIM's relatively small size.

In RIM's case though I think the cheaper BB10 device is vital. Their most robust markets in which they still have cachet are outside North America, and if the market there is as RIM says it is, they need lower-end devices to sell there. I think the BB10 intro is crucial there, so that they NEVER get in the position they are here: way behind. In those markets, they can be seen as an innovative front-runner with BB10, not as a "catch-up" case. The margins haven't been as good, but at least in the event of BB10 failure or even slow acceptance in North America, the developing nations sales could provide a buffer. BB10 can help secure a presence in those markets for RIM, and maybe even, in the longer term, provide higher margins as people there become more willing/able to spend money frivolously like us ;-)
    09-29-2012, 05:06 PM LIKED BY TRE LAWRENCE, MADMAN 0141...thanks guys

I think that would be suicide, though I see your reasoning. Yes, they could accept being a small niche player....the stockholders would form a lynch mob, though there isn't much more to lose....and the developers probably wouldn't be too pleased either.

I think though if they priced high as you suggest, they run the risk of getting NO market. Yes, as you say, the BB faithful who are desperate will pay for it, but the number is small....and I'm not sure there will be all that many corporations "committed" to it either...given the big changeover.

To some extent this is what Apple has been doing as Android eats up the low end market. It can certainly work, and bring big profits obviously, but you better have a product that REALLY delivers something special. Even then, as with Apple, hard to say if this is a winning strategy long-term. RIM's reputation is so tarnished now, their cachet is not just diminished, it's negative. They need to deliver a blockbuster...to get into the thick of things, or even into a successful high-end niche. It's hail-mary time now.

I think if they fall into a small high end niche, even if margins are good for the small volume, it will be seen as a stop-gap to oblivion. Numbers will continue to fall, the company will shrink more....I think it will be, if not the end of RIM, the end of RIM as it was known.
    09-17-2012, 11:18 PM NO LIKES Boo Hoo.... :-)
    imz and pantlesspenguin like this.
    09-27-13 03:56 AM
    You know sh!t has hit the fan when even World Traveler has a dig
    09-27-13 04:12 AM
    Back in Feb of this year, Verizon in the US was selling 2-year-old Bolds for $199 on 2-year contract. One of the major reasons I switched to Android. I got a 4-month-old LG for $49. It was ridiculous.
    09-27-13 04:30 AM
  18. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    You know sh!t has hit the fan when even World Traveler has a dig
    Yeah .. its called losing your shirt investing in this company for many years ...
    09-27-13 06:33 AM
    His mind is so advanced that mortals like us can't understand it

Posted via my BlackBerry Z10
    09-27-13 07:32 AM
    Since BB will be concentrating on getting corporate clients back , devices will be available for them at great discounts.
    ( in some cases as freebies )

For the rest of us , time will tell.
    09-27-13 07:39 AM
    Since BB will be concentrating on getting corporate clients back , devices will be available for them at great discounts.
    ( in some cases as freebies )

For the rest of us , time will tell.
    You are assuming that BlackBerry knows what they are doing.
    bhrgvr likes this.
    09-27-13 09:38 AM
    You are assuming that BlackBerry knows what they are doing.
    Proven to be doubtfull.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 03:28 PM
    IMO, they had to know this. It doesn't take a propulsion engineer to understand what they needed to do. They either needed to flood the market with high quality devices at or below cost or determine what materials they needed to use to make a buck or two at that price.

Instead, they swung wildly for the fence hoping that the amazement along drove consumers to buy. "Geez OMG is that a BB? I must have it!"

In my job, the easy decisions never come across my desk. Those have already been made by my employees or in other departments. The decisions I have to make usually upset half of the group fully or all of the group partially. That is my job and in a way, I enjoy it. Here, where I am, this decision wouldn't have had to be made by me, it was too easy.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    09-27-13 04:25 PM