If Canada wants BBRY, they can pay us $50 a share and take BBRY but they have absolutely no right to stop a takeover. Why should cnada steal my money, send me on the street, strave my children to pay off its welfare recipients? Thats a crime, and Canada will be no better than Sudan or Rwanda if it stops or makes iot hard for a foreign takeover.
    09-26-13 06:40 AM
    If Canada wants BBRY, they can pay us $50 a share and take BBRY but they have absolutely no right to stop a takeover. Why should cnada steal my money, send me on the street, strave my children to pay off its welfare recipients? Thats a crime, and Canada will be no better than Sudan or Rwanda if it stops or makes iot hard for a foreign takeover.
    Sounds like you might work there...

Though I don't think that Canada is wrong for their actions. It forces the nation to become stronger on its own merits.

A similar thing happened with South Africa during Apartheid. With all the sanctions against the country, they were forced to find their own ways to solve their energy problems and other sorts of things.

For instance, when they were strictly sanctioned against with oil imports; the Company Sasol became a huge deal because they figured out how to make petrol and diesel from coal.

The company Iscor was able to sort out massive income for the company by exporting massive amounts of Iron and Steel.

This also forced the Universities to increase their standards. Also, SA developed their own nuclear refining techniques along with some chaps from Pakistan.

I'm not condoning apartheid. I'm just stating that there were some economic benefits from it.

Canada should look to their own companies to sort this issue out. Besides, I don't think that any company outside of Canada would have as much incentive to buy BB as a Canadian company would; ie, increasing company GDP and thus increasing the value of their own company.

Selling it off to a foreign interest could gravely affect the country.

I'm not saying that it won't have impacts on those involved, but I agree with their policy.

That is however, just my opinion.
    09-26-13 06:59 AM
    they are not blocking any foreign takeover, but if a Chinese company wants to take over BB, you can expect objections. if a big US company would step up there would be very little objections.
    AND if the Chinese would buy BB, you think the US govt would continue to use BB products, right No Way.
    so these are just the facts of life.
    09-26-13 07:03 AM
    What specifically are you talking about? If you are referring to a potential Chinese buy out. I'm pretty sure the US would also have concerns about one of the most secure NOC's being in Chinese ownership. This is all moot at this point anyway as there are currently no other offers on the table.

Posted via CB10
    silversun10 likes this.
    09-26-13 07:04 AM
    If Canada wants BBRY, they can pay us $50 a share and take BBRY but they have absolutely no right to stop a takeover. Why should Canada steal my money, send me on the street, strave my children to pay off its welfare recipients? Thats a crime, and Canada will be no better than Sudan or Rwanda if it stops or makes iot hard for a foreign takeover.
    Canadian company, Canadian government rules. They arent taking your money, you apparently are just unaware of what you invested in, or did not do sufficient research for the event of a takeover. The Canadian government being able to block foreign takeovers is their own rule, which they may or may not exercise. It literally has nothing to do with you losing money.

Also, why would they pay $50/share? The current intent offer is $9/share. Seems you are reaching quite a bit there, as you are with the Sudan and Rwanda comment.

Many people are frustrated with the low offer, but the stock hasnt bounced any, and so far no other offers (even though they has been plenty of time for offers) for a higher price. The time period isnt over, so you can still hope for a $9.50 or $10 or whatever offer.
    silversun10, cjcampbell and aniym like this.
    09-26-13 07:08 AM
    Just when I thought I had heard it all.
    GadgetTravel likes this.
    09-26-13 07:41 AM
    Just take a look at the rest of this person's posts. This is standard fare.
    09-26-13 07:49 AM
    What foreign takeover do you speak of? And by the sounds of things, if you are going to be on the streets then you probably shouldn't have put all your eggs in one basket.

Posted via CB10
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    09-26-13 07:56 AM
    as the cliche goes, don't invest what you cannot afford to lose.
    09-26-13 07:58 AM
    I don't think Canada has given any indication that they are going to interfere. Nor do I think they have any reason to interfere.

If BlackBerry was a healthy company that was growing and expanding, then maybe the government would protect them from a hostile take-over. But a company that is not connected to any natural resources (other than people) and that is going to fail regardless of what anyone does at this point.... who would it benefit - shareholders??

That all said - their laws are their laws and as an investor or customers, you have to live with the consequences of those laws and how they are applied.
    09-26-13 07:59 AM
    So US government can buy phones from other companies or pay Blackberry tens of billions to remain a Canadian company. Hey US government wastes 100s of billions of US companies who lobby. If US government doesnt buy BB phones, thats the chinese buyer's problem. As shareholders, we should get the price price, even if it comes from anti-christ, the devil himself. The market can say no to their products once they buy it.

BBRY must go to the highest bidder, even if its Iran, who cares. Or let US and Canadian governments pay us shareholders tens of billions of dollars and nationalize it.
    09-26-13 12:57 PM
    I don't think Canada has given any indication that they are going to interfere. Nor do I think they have any reason to interfere.

If BlackBerry was a healthy company that was growing and expanding, then maybe the government would protect them from a hostile take-over. But a company that is not connected to any natural resources (other than people) and that is going to fail regardless of what anyone does at this point.... who would it benefit - shareholders??

That all said - their laws are their laws and as an investor or customers, you have to live with the consequences of those laws and how they are applied.
    I know we have to live by their laws and I have a right to call canada a criminal nation full oif financial terrorists IF they block a foreign takeover.
    09-26-13 12:59 PM
    as the cliche goes, don't invest what you cannot afford to lose.
    as a public company, these corrupt and incompetent BOD have a fiduciary responsibility... or is it something Canadian laws dont require?
    09-26-13 12:59 PM
    Criminal Nation?

Mere mortal, I pity you.
    09-26-13 01:00 PM
    Canadian government will object if it's a Chinese company... i don't know if you were aware but hackers against the Canadian government primarily come from China...

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 01:01 PM
    Good lord, what are you prattling on about?

No one forced you, at the threat of death or injury, to invest your money. Nor did anyone force you to stay in at any point after that. As to the issue of putting you on the street and starving your family, all I can say is if all that it would take to do that is the loss of what you have invested in BlackBerry you and your family have seriously bigger issues to worry about.

Finally, to put the country of Canada on the same level of two other countries that are human rights abusers and have seen their share of genocides for not bailing out a technology company is the height of idiocy and you ought to be ashamed of yourself for even uttering such an asinine statement.

You can be pissed at the loss of value of your investment but a little perspective, and possibly an increase in the dose of whatever medication you have apparently neglected to take is in order.
    Dave Bourque and Elite1 like this.
    09-26-13 01:14 PM
    I know we have to live by their laws and I have a right to call canada a criminal nation full oif financial terrorists IF they block a foreign takeover.
    I suppose you do have a right to say that. And we would have a right, perhaps even an obligation not to care. And $50? That isn't even in this dimension, they will be lucky to the 9 tentatively on the table now in my opinion. That has nothing to do with the Canadian government I should add.
    09-27-13 07:36 AM