All my diehard Blackberry fans as well as critics,I can not get any satisfactory answer.

Considering the fat pocket Apple,Inc has, why did it not approach Blackberry and purchased it? $4.7 billion is just peanuts for them.

In lieu of that Apple,Inc. could have received a stable customer base of 70 m who would have accepted this deal without a second thought.

Apple,could then have simply produced another model, say iPhone 6b ,b for business. What a combination that would have been.

I think they missed this opportunity.
    09-25-13 03:35 PM
    Because BlackBerry has nothing Apple wants. Aside from that, Apple historically has shied away from large acquisitions. When they spent $300 million on Authentec, it was considered unusual for them.
    jordandrews90 and mikeo007 like this.
    09-25-13 03:37 PM
    I would have a couple of questions if I was Apple:

1.) Which patents are actually valuable to Apple. Keep in mind that a lot of the Nortel patents, for example, are already jointly owned by Apple anyway.

2.) I would wonder how easy it would be to convert those 60 million largely legacy users to iOS. I don't think Apple would be ready to put the Apple logo on BB7. And I don't know how many legacy users are ready to go buy an iPhone.
    richardat likes this.
    09-25-13 03:39 PM
    A better question really is why Apple didn't buy Nokia. They could have eliminated a potential up and comer. BlackBerry didn't need any help killing themselves off. But like I said, Apple really isn't into large acquisitions. $4.7 billion might be considered cheap, but whatever BlackBerry has that might be of any remote interest to Apple, they can just license for peanuts once it's all over, or develop it in house.
    richardat likes this.
    09-25-13 03:42 PM
    All my diehard Blackberry fans as well as critics,I can not get any satisfactory answer.

Considering the fat pocket Apple,Inc has, why did it not approach Blackberry and purchased it? $4.7 billion is just peanuts for them.

In lieu of that Apple,Inc. could have received a stable customer base of 70 m who would have accepted this deal without a second thought.

Apple,could then have simply produced another model, say iPhone 6b ,b for business. What a combination that would have been.

And done what with a bunch of BBOS customers... If BlackBerry can't get them to transition to BB10, why would they transition to iOS. Or did you think they would keep BBOS or BB10 and try to support a separate ecosystem?

Apple's BOD would have a hard time explaining any benefit to spending $4.7 Billion on.... what?

Looking more and more like not even Fairfax wants to spend $4.7 billion.
    09-25-13 03:43 PM
    If Apple were to buy BlackBerry, I would then no longer be with BlackBerry as can't stand the Apple OS! No doubt they would scrap BB10 and just take bits and pieces from it and implement them into iOS.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 03:45 PM
    Your are correct. But that is the whole point. They do not have to worry about it. Just have a business friendly apple device with BES as backbone.

Thus they could have secured this place and would have established themselves as the strongest business player.

Event hough Apple is claiming that they have the best software available on iphones to support business, the claim is false and they are nowhere near.
    09-25-13 03:45 PM
    And done what with a bunch of BBOS customers... If BlackBerry can't get them to transition to BB10, why would they transition to iOS. Or did you think they would keep BBOS or BB10 and try to support a separate ecosystem?

Apple's BOD would have a hard time explaining any benefit to spending $4.7 Billion on.... what?

Looking more and more like not even Fairfax wants to spend $4.7 billion.
    Blackberry could not get its loyals to BB10 simply due to the fact that BB10 devices, especially Z10,when compared to other devices, is simply not at par. How can you use a device which quickly gets hot and drains your battery? 9900 never had such issues and it is the top notch device. If there is a open competition, iphone will win easily. Thats the problem..
    09-25-13 03:52 PM
    Because BlackBerry has nothing Apple wants. Aside from that, Apple historically has shied away from large acquisitions. When they spent $300 million on Authentec, it was considered unusual for them.
    Don't you think that it is a paradox?

Diehard fans will never like iOS devices and at the same time the subscriber base is shrinking ?
    Something is missing... something is wrong
    09-25-13 03:58 PM
    Your are correct. But that is the whole point. They do not have to worry about it. Just have a business friendly apple device with BES as backbone.

Thus they could have secured this place and would have established themselves as the strongest business player.

Event hough Apple is claiming that they have the best software available on iphones to support business, the claim is false and they are nowhere near.
    Apple could develope their own version of bes if they were so inclined. I'd guess it would be a lot cheaper than $4.7B

I'm sure they might be able to find a few ex-bb employees floating around
    09-25-13 03:59 PM

That would be like Daimler buying Chrysler or BMW buying the former British Leyland.
    09-25-13 04:10 PM
    At this point in time the acquisition of BlackBerry would cause branding harm to Apple as it is more of a fashion/lifestyle brand.

Imagine Nike purchasing Crocs or Birkenstocks. Or BMW purchasing and releasing pick-up trucks. Just doesn't fit the overall brand image.
    09-25-13 04:30 PM
    Good reasons in this thread. I would add that Apple's enterprise group is very small and it is extremely unlikely they could get Cook and the board interested in investing billions in enterprise.

In enterprise sales if you sell 50,000 units to a big govt agency or company that is considered a huge success. In Apple terms a 50k phone sale is barely noticeable. That's my big concern with BlackBerry focusing so much on enterprise. That will make them a very small company if they can survive at all.
    09-25-13 04:40 PM
    An apple hardware BlackBerry. Hmmm.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 05:07 PM
    the same reason Walmart does not buy the local convenience store.
    09-25-13 05:23 PM
    Every has done outlined the basic problem with the premise well. Let me also add that apple has already proved they are well and truly capable of eating bb's lunch in the enterprise sector and what's left with bb at this point may have no choice but to switch soon anyways. The fact is, I suspect bes is not doing particularly well at all... And business customers have been migrating away much faster than even I thought they would from a few years ago.

The other problem with the op's premise is that the 70 mil user base is anything but stable. It has only started to erode - but the last few quarters suggest it has begun, just as some of us predicted it would. I suspect that too will accelerate relatively quickly in the coming months. Sure apple could make a strong play for them - but they don't need bb to do that. It is irrational.... Take over a failing companies expenses for a product thy themselves saw as dead-end, when its collapsing anyways, and those customers will have to switch sooner or later anyways?

All apple would have to do to end bb7 TOMORROW, is send out an offer:

All bis subscribers: come in for a free trade in, receive an iPhone 4, and small subsidized data plan. (Enough to cover most iMessage or whatsap typically used)

Work with carriers to develop the small data plan, subsidize it with 5 bil. Dollars... Lol.

Bb's market will be gone in 2 weeks. Apple seems to have no real interest in the low end though. They want their big profit margins.

Actually that's what Watsa should be trying to convince apple or Samsung or chinese low end manufacturer to do right now! Then have buddy heins announce : ok so bis revenue a bit lower than expected bc of challenges faced int eh competitive environment. We lost 57 mil subscribers this month....
    09-25-13 06:11 PM

Apple might swoop in and pick up the scraps of their patent portfolio but there is absolutely nothing Apple needs from Blackberry trust me. This is hardly an opportunity lost.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk
    09-25-13 08:50 PM
    WritetoDepin,

First of all great post and I agree with a lot of the things you say.
    The smartphone market is all about strategic competition. You've got SAMSUNG on one end producing top-notch hardware and great cost and youv'e got Apple's IOS providing users the functionality of Apple computing that has always been appealing to the masses. Android devices are of course making a klling because of their versatile functinolity in apps and innovation to cater to the consumer base. But neither of these operating systems have secure computing in mind, which is of course a mainstay concern for the enterprise (public and private companies with sensitive information), healthcare, governments, and the military. Since BlackBerry still has reigns on that, Apple owning BB10, BBM, and the cryptographic patents puts it in a very powerful position to continue selling BlackBerry to the masses.

BB10 would get the badly needed fuel injection it needs to fully mature the OS to its peak performance. Secure software development (as outlined through professional assocations such as ISC2 (ISC squared) and CompTIA (check out their Secure Mobile App+) would become a focus of this new "iPhone 6b" phone (or preferably the new model of BlackBerry instead - why bother changing the name to IPHONE?).

BlackBerry has it's reputable brand name for efficiency/security and I think it would be wise for Apple to keep it as such.

Of course Apple's acquisition would mean they could easily port their apps over to BB10 (under securer standards of course) and now users all over the world WOULD consider BlackBerry units even though they are oriented specificlaly for the enterprise as they have the functionlity they want (apps) on top of a superior OS and user experience for a "business only" phone unit.

Apple could inject further refinements into BB10 to add multimedia support which Apple OS has been predominantly known to begin with. For graphic designers, video game artists, etc, a up to date BlackBerry with that mulitmedia and professional security support would be a no brainer. The iphone would fall into the ranks of consumer only phones as the BlackBerry line would cater so much better to the professional line.

Developing an entirely new OS, brand name, and stealing market share over the years just doesn't seem too smart at this point.
    BlackBerry is still going to stand, regardless of private ownership , the limited phones will still be in demand for the sheer virture of the security their provide. Until that day comes that Apple/Googe/Samsung create a superior OS (by far), the incentive to keep with BlackBerry BB10 is still there - still alive and well today even if the overall market share is only 3%. You have to remember that this is the elite/rich 3% that are concerned with NSA-proof security.

I think Apple acquiring it would be a great idea and the confidence in BlackBerry with such financial muscle would kick the product line to the top of the charts - for Apple's beneift and BlackBerry has a company/entity benefit. I wouldn't care less to hear what CEO makes $55 million or if hte original ownership in Waterloo isn't there.. it's all about keeping BlackBerry alive, workers employed, and that niche market filled to the best of its ability.

As any IT professional and they'll agree that funding from the top is a "dream come true" whether that be in software development or in highly secure mobile computing (same thing I suppose). The more the merrier.
    09-25-13 09:40 PM
    Did you just compare $300 million to less than 5 million? LoL

Apples and oranges, my friend

10+ years. Since Black and White.
    09-25-13 09:46 PM
    Did you just compare $300 million to less than 5 million? LoL

Apples and oranges, my friend

BlackBerry sold for $4.7 billion, not $4.7 million.
    09-25-13 09:48 PM
    Whoops lol

Dumb mistake lol

09-25-13 09:51 PM
    Whoops lol

Dumb mistake lol

But I stand by my point

09-25-13 09:52 PM
    Apple put a lot of time & development into their own OS. What possible reason would they have for buying, fixing, and porting all their app to an (arguably) failed 2nd OS? Then developing two versions of apps in the future, not to mention the burden on 3rd party developers... Like I said, Apple may swoop in and pick up the scraps of the patent portfolio but other than that blackberry have absolutely zero to offer anyone. Buying BB would tarnish the Apple brand and devalue it's worth.

If BlackBerry had used Android instead of trying to develop QNX they would have an easier time selling themselves, still wouldn't be to Apple though.

WritetoDepin,

First of all great post and I agree with a lot of the things you say.
    The smartphone market is all about strategic competition. You've got SAMSUNG on one end producing top-notch hardware and great cost and youv'e got Apple's IOS providing users the functionality of Apple computing that has always been appealing to the masses. Android devices are of course making a klling because of their versatile functinolity in apps and innovation to cater to the consumer base. But neither of these operating systems have secure computing in mind, which is of course a mainstay concern for the enterprise (public and private companies with sensitive information), healthcare, governments, and the military. Since BlackBerry still has reigns on that, Apple owning BB10, BBM, and the cryptographic patents puts it in a very powerful position to continue selling BlackBerry to the masses.

BB10 would get the badly needed fuel injection it needs to fully mature the OS to its peak performance. Secure software development (as outlined through professional assocations such as ISC2 (ISC squared) and CompTIA (check out their Secure Mobile App+) would become a focus of this new "iPhone 6b" phone (or preferably the new model of BlackBerry instead - why bother changing the name to IPHONE?).

BlackBerry has it's reputable brand name for efficiency/security and I think it would be wise for Apple to keep it as such.

Of course Apple's acquisition would mean they could easily port their apps over to BB10 (under securer standards of course) and now users all over the world WOULD consider BlackBerry units even though they are oriented specificlaly for the enterprise as they have the functionlity they want (apps) on top of a superior OS and user experience for a "business only" phone unit.

Apple could inject further refinements into BB10 to add multimedia support which Apple OS has been predominantly known to begin with. For graphic designers, video game artists, etc, a up to date BlackBerry with that mulitmedia and professional security support would be a no brainer. The iphone would fall into the ranks of consumer only phones as the BlackBerry line would cater so much better to the professional line.

Developing an entirely new OS, brand name, and stealing market share over the years just doesn't seem too smart at this point.
    BlackBerry is still going to stand, regardless of private ownership , the limited phones will still be in demand for the sheer virture of the security their provide. Until that day comes that Apple/Googe/Samsung create a superior OS (by far), the incentive to keep with BlackBerry BB10 is still there - still alive and well today even if the overall market share is only 3%. You have to remember that this is the elite/rich 3% that are concerned with NSA-proof security.

I think Apple acquiring it would be a great idea and the confidence in BlackBerry with such financial muscle would kick the product line to the top of the charts - for Apple's beneift and BlackBerry has a company/entity benefit. I wouldn't care less to hear what CEO makes $55 million or if hte original ownership in Waterloo isn't there.. it's all about keeping BlackBerry alive, workers employed, and that niche market filled to the best of its ability.

As any IT professional and they'll agree that funding from the top is a "dream come true" whether that be in software development or in highly secure mobile computing (same thing I suppose). The more the merrier.
    09-26-13 07:36 AM
    Letter of intent does NOT equal a sale.

"But the deal is far from complete. It is subject to six weeks of due diligence, and BlackBerry can shop the company during that period. Fairfax would still have to arrange financing.
    The agreement also doesn't compel Fairfax to ultimately come forward with a firm offer, underscoring the weak negotiating position BlackBerry finds itself in. BlackBerry, on the other hand, would have to pay a breakup fee of more than $150 million if it turns to another buyer by Nov. 4."

Blackberry's playbook: Bait and Switch.

"BlackBerry's unusual move to put together a loosely structured deal was motivated by its rapidly deteriorating business, several people close to the situation said. By publicizing a deal with a starting price, the company's hope is that will lure rival offers for part or all of BlackBerry, one of the people said. This person characterized the proposed deal with Fairfax as a "backstop" in case nothing better comes along."

http://m.europe.wsj.com/articles/a/S...?mg=reno64-wsj
    09-26-13 08:03 AM

"70 million who would have accepted this " Speak for your self but I for one would be very mad if apple would have bought BlackBerry do you actually think they would have continued software updates.....? No they would have tried there best to make 70 million people buy new iPhones.

Canadian cities BBM Channel C001234A4
    09-26-13 08:27 AM
30 12