Can someone explain me if the problem was with android store why it was interrupted the launch on iOS? As far as I am aware the problem was only with android/google store so I don't understand why was interrupted as well on itunes store. Any clues?
    HK Low likes this.
    09-23-13 07:33 AM
    Can someone explain me if the problem was with android store why it was interrupted the launch on iOS? As far as I am aware the problem was only with android/google store so I don't understand why was interrupted as well on itunes store. Any clues?
    I've been asking the same question. It is possible that both versions of the app will need to be altered.
    09-23-13 07:35 AM
    Why don't BlackBerry make a statement so people can be properly and timely informed? The BlackBerry handles this is just so amateur I can't understand. And I must say I love and use BlackBerry.

Sent via my Z10
    irsan and HK Low like this.
    09-23-13 07:41 AM
    I've been thinking about that too, to me it just doesn't make sense to stop the rollout for iOS too. I mean they must have a reason for taking these steps but as people mentioned on here and on twitter they should really give us some more information about what's happening and about how long it might take to get all of this sorted out.
    HK Low likes this.
    09-23-13 07:47 AM
    Such a simple process of launching an app to IOS and Android. Yet Blackberry screwed up !! How can 1.1 million fake BBM apps "talk"to BBM servers? Where is the security then? Blackberry never learns........Engage your customers (communicate, communicate& communicate)
    09-24-13 09:46 AM
    Such a simple process of launching an app to IOS and Android. Yet Blackberry screwed up !! How can 1.1 million fake BBM apps "talk"to BBM servers? Where is the security then? Blackberry never learns........Engage your customers (communicate, communicate& communicate)
    ok, the fake apps didnt work. There wasnt 1.1million fake apps. The leaked apk which was made by BB did work, but caused the data issues. The 1.1million installs were of the leaked apk and the iOS users.
    seemsixty7 likes this.
    09-24-13 11:30 AM
    I'm quite frustrated with the vagueness from these people. I know I'm not the only one but I just don't understand what is the point of their unnecessary secrecy? It's as if they think they are keeping us on our toes like it's some suspense movie. They can never say anything more than "soon". I swear if they say "soon" again, I'm not gonna bother with them any more. Waste of time and energy.
    Edited - Also, the fact that they had to use a leak version to "test" their servers on LAUNCH day is absolutely horrible. They should have been READY, and SET, not still testing it. What a joke.
    09-24-13 12:22 PM
    I've been asking the same question. It is possible that both versions of the app will need to be altered.
    I would guess that you're right they discovered a security hole and want to patch the final clients

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 12:25 PM
    I have a theory. My theory is that Blackberry lied. I posted this to the Blackberry blog post, but wasn't approved and got deleted. EDIT: seems like it was finally approved. Everything below this paragraph is my original post:

As a developer, i can't think otherwise that you are not being completely honest in this post. "The team is now focused on adjusting the system to completely block this unreleased version". How much time can THAT take? A week to block the app?

"The version we were planning to release on Saturday addressed these
    issues, however we could not block users of the unreleased version if we
    went ahead with the launch". Please! If you had release that version, everyone would have updated to that and the problems would have stopped.

It should have been very easy to put code on the server that checked the client version, and if the client had a version lower to the latest one, redirect the user to the device's app store in order to update.

I don't think your team is incompetent to do this, so my conclusion is that there is something you are not telling. Maybe it's as simple as getting more servers because Blackberry has too few users as of now and your servers cannot handle it, or worse, the app is just not finished yet on android and you are stalling.
    Last edited by fjleon; 09-24-13 at 12:39 PM. Reason: update
    09-24-13 12:37 PM
    I'm quite frustrated with the vagueness from these people. I know I'm not the only one but I just don't understand what is the point of their unnecessary secrecy? It's as if they think they are keeping us on our toes like it's some suspense movie. They can never say anything more than "soon". I swear if they say "soon" again, I'm not gonna bother with them any more. Waste of time and energy.
    Edited - Also, the fact that they had to use a leak version to "test" their servers on LAUNCH day is absolutely horrible. They should have been READY, and SET, not still testing it. What a joke.
    wat? They didnt test with a leaked version on launch day. A version was leaked which borked the servers.

assuming the leaked version didnt leak, and all the fake apps didnt appear in the play store, they would have released it all as planned. This is of course if assuming what BB told us was true.
    09-24-13 12:49 PM
    ok, the fake apps didnt work. There wasnt 1.1million fake apps. The leaked apk which was made by BB did work, but caused the data issues. The 1.1million installs were of the leaked apk and the iOS users.
    Actually, it sounded like the 1.1 Million was only for the leaked app installs. Not including iOS installs.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 12:50 PM
    Actually, it sounded like the 1.1 Million was only for the leaked app installs. Not including iOS installs.

Posted via CB10
    I think they spun it to sound like that, but I think Kevin mentioned it on the podcast it probably included the iOS installs as well
    09-24-13 12:54 PM
    The part about the leaked apk has been beaten to death in numerous threads on this site, so I'll focus on the pulling of the iOS app. It seems to me that the iOS app was probably pulled for a few reasons, bug fixes, possibly updating the keyboard wrapper, and maybe even so that it doesn't seem as if cross-platform BBM is a timed iOS exclusive. Again, I'm not saying that I'm correct but I'd be willing to bet that a combination of those may be accurate in explaining why they would pull the iOS app as well.
    09-24-13 04:54 PM
    You would think that they are gonna try and relaunch asap. Samsung has been advertising bbm to is customers for some time now. If Blackberry made a deal with Samsung then they have to deliver on their end.

Sent from, My Motorola side view pager. 4-5683-8
    09-24-13 05:01 PM
    Its so obvious that app wasn't finished. They leg it up until the last day of their promised day of release ( what kind of big corporate company does that? ). Then a couple days later there's conveniently a problem with the servers.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 07:23 AM
    The iOS app works. I downloaded it onto my iPhone 5 from the Netherlands store when the rollout was happening. It works with no issues. I don't know why they had to hault the rollout when the app works. Pull the google one and fix it since it was causing problems, but BBM on iPhones just fine.
    09-25-13 07:29 AM
    I downloaded it for my sisters iPhone and it works great. I would only imagine that Quality control decided to pause both platforms because of the issues with the leaked version. There are so many things that can pop up and cause the server overloads. If both ports of BBM use the same code then they may have wanted to review both systems code and insure they caught any issues at the same time. They already have egg on their face from this issue, and rather than take the chance of a bigger screw up laying in wait. I believe they just pulled back to confirm all is ok before turning the light switch back on.
    09-25-13 07:38 AM