Is the lack of communication from BlackBerry regarding this **** up.

BBM is touted as (and I agree) the best communications tool for mobile phones currently available. Especially now with BBM channels, the application makes communicating with the world effortless.

So why is BlackBerry so damn awful at communicating with the world??

This was supposed to be a BIG event. It was hyped up and more people were talking about cross platform Bbm than they were about the Z30, actually, it probably had more interest than the launch of BB10.

So why, after almost 48 hours of this big event failing, have the only communications from BlackBerry been a blog post and 2 tweets. The blog post was vague. One tweet simply pointed to the blog post and said here, we know you're waiting, read this. The second tweet was 10 hours ago and simply said they will provide an update on timing as soon as they can.

Getting the message across has long been a problem with BlackBerry, yet they are in the business of creating devices to help consumers do that very thing, communicate. Go figure /:

Posted via CB10
    devin266 likes this.
    09-22-13 10:06 PM
    Really? I think they have been more than sufficient. Two tweets and a blog post is rather decent considering many competitors (*cough* apple *cough*) have a reputation of not commenting at all.

The last update, just 11 hours ago stated that their teams are working non-stop and they will provide an update as soon as they can. Presumably this means when they have news.

These things happen - they will update us when they can.

This is a free app they're providing to the world. The launch went wrong for reasons outside of their control (a leaked app with security issues) and they are working hard to fix the issue. They've let us know about the delay, given a reason why (to the best of what they can say), and are working on it 24/7. Let's be grateful and show some patience.
    carlyincanada likes this.
    09-22-13 11:16 PM
    I recently contacted BlackBerry tech support for issues with my browser not working on my Z10 and I was extremely impressed with the 3 support people I dealt with. So give them a break as I'm sure they are working very hard to get things working.
    09-22-13 11:28 PM
    The problem I have with it is the timing. Around 7:30, we got a tweet saying "hold tight!" By 8 AM, there should have been a tweet sent out along the lines of "An unofficial version of BBM for Android is currently causing issues with our server. Still working to resolve this, sorry no ETA yet."

Let people know what's going on without giving too many details (might expose more vulnerabilities before they are patched), let people know they are aware of the issue and are working on it, and $#$&ing apologise to the dedicated users - some who had been waiting for hours by that time. Just a simple "sorry" slipped into a tweet would have sufficed at 8 AM. And finally - I learned this quick in software development - never, ever give ETAs on the fly. It's impossible to know what trying to fix one bug will do to the rest of the code and how big of a re-write is needed. Don't make promises you can't keep.

They did try to make right later with an explanation, but the damage has been done, with people losing interest and others developing a very poor impression of BlackBerry. I can guarantee that, while I expect downloads to number in the millions when they finally launch again, they will never come close to the numbers they would have gotten had things gone smoothly or issues been immediately communicated at the original launch.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-23-13 06:49 AM
    I think the irony here is that the company couldn't even get this right. One more thing for people to say they don't know what they are doing. Can't even have an app launch that works right.
    09-23-13 07:01 AM
    Is the lack of communication from BlackBerry regarding this **** up.

BBM is touted as (and I agree) the best communications tool for mobile phones currently available. Especially now with BBM channels, the application makes communicating with the world effortless.

So why is BlackBerry so damn awful at communicating with the world??

This was supposed to be a BIG event. It was hyped up and more people were talking about cross platform Bbm than they were about the Z30, actually, it probably had more interest than the launch of BB10.

So why, after almost 48 hours of this big event failing, have the only communications from BlackBerry been a blog post and 2 tweets. The blog post was vague. One tweet simply pointed to the blog post and said here, we know you're waiting, read this. The second tweet was 10 hours ago and simply said they will provide an update on timing as soon as they can.

Getting the message across has long been a problem with BlackBerry, yet they are in the business of creating devices to help consumers do that very thing, communicate. Go figure /:

Posted via CB10
    They can build stuff but not talk about it.
    09-23-13 07:06 AM
    #whatsapp4all
    LostOnThePianoRoll likes this.
    09-23-13 07:07 AM