Hey all,

I try to backup my Z10 every month or so, but now when I connected it to my computer and am trying to do it, BlackBerry link is hanging at "preparing to back up"

The blue bar animation keeps going and nothing happens... I've waited over an hour as it was "preparing".

Anyone have any input?

BB link is its newest version and I am running the last official release of 10.1
    09-22-13 08:48 PM
    Mine took forever to backup just over 2Gs of data.

From preparing to done was over a hour.
    WanShark69 and EauRouge like this.
    09-22-13 08:54 PM
    Mine took forever to backup just over 2Gs of data.

From preparing to done was over a hour.

Did it hang on "preparing to back up" for an absurdly long time?
    09-22-13 09:00 PM
    Did it hang on "preparing to back up" for an absurdly long time?
    It sure did. I had just installed the latest update for Link and that took forever to set up too.

The 'preparing' took quite a while, but a hour seems a bit too long.

The restoring backup was insane too. Must have been about 1 1/2 to 2 hours after updating to the latest beta OS
    09-22-13 09:12 PM
    Yikes! Well in hopes of doing some research for crackberry nation I'm going to let it go overnight and see what happens! lol
    09-22-13 09:29 PM
    Good luck.

Curious. How much data are you backing up?
    09-22-13 09:34 PM
    Thanks!

And I'm not certain. Ive been a bit delayed backing up this month, so everything since Aug 8. I went on a few small trips since then and took a lot of photos etc. but I cant think of any other large changes to my phone. Other than some apps maybe.

How did you know how much you were backing up prior to the back up?
    09-22-13 09:54 PM
    Thanks!

And I'm not certain. Ive been a bit delayed backing up this month, so everything since Aug 8. I went on a few small trips since then and took a lot of photos etc. but I cant think of any other large changes to my phone. Other than some apps maybe.

Frankly, I would manually backup using drag/drop/copy any photos or unique data like that.
    09-22-13 10:39 PM
    Thanks!

If I remember, it said how much once the backup started.

Wish me luck. I'll do a backup now and try and take a screenshot of what I see.

1st screenshot:
    BB link is stuck at "Preparing to back up"-backup01.jpg

10:51 pm
    BB link is stuck at "Preparing to back up"-backup02.jpg

10:56 pm
    BB link is stuck at "Preparing to back up"-backup03.jpg

11:09 pm - Backup Complete
    BB link is stuck at "Preparing to back up"-backup04.jpg

Definitely a heck of a lot faster second time around. 18 minutes -start to finish
    Last edited by frfghtr; 09-22-13 at 11:12 PM. Reason: adding pics
    09-22-13 10:44 PM
    I assume you selected complete backup which can be quite large. I experienced something similar and so I walked away for a while and when I came back it was done.

The second time I backed up, I stayed at my computer and did other stuff on the computer while the backup is going on. After a really long time of simply displaying "preparing to backup" it suddenly changed to "backing up" and went pretty quickly.

To see if anything is actually happening, go to the folder on your computer where Link (and previously Desktop Manager) stores your backups. Look for a backup file with today's date. It's size will be the actual sizr of the backup being performed even though it's not yet populated with backup data.

You might also consider closing apps and maybe rebooting first since part of the backup process actually happens on the phone itself and requires a good deal of memory. The less memory available the longer it might take.

Posted by twiddling my thumbs on my Qued10 in CB10
    09-22-13 10:58 PM
    Or, just try WD40.

Posted by twiddling my thumbs on my Qued10 in CB10
    09-22-13 11:00 PM
    Thanks for all the input guys, frfghtr- the interface is a bit different on a Mac and it (at least to my knowledge) doesn't give us a breakdown like that.

So the backup did work and go through!

I found the backup file on my harddrive and its 4.49GB. It was created 2 hours after I hit "back up now", and since I observed it hanging on "preparing to back up" for over an hour before I went to bed, I can only assume that the actual backing up didn't take quite so long.

Thanks for all the input! At least this can be marked "solved"- just wait long enough and it will work!
    frfghtr likes this.
    09-23-13 06:44 AM
    i have been trying to a back up.. it will progres 1-2%...then it will pop out.. completed back up. but the size im trying to back up is not same size. thanks.
    08-04-15 07:56 PM