View Poll Results: Heins' Grossest Violation of Trust was:

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buying Jet's while Firing Canuck's left and right

48 27.91%
  • Scheming to Create 70,000 Fake Apps?

31 18.02%
  • Wasting Money on F1 Sponsorships and Parties?

8 4.65%
  • Starf*cking with Alicia Keys

27 15.70%
  • None! I still like the guy. It's not his fault!

58 33.72%
    Poll After you read this from the Wall Street Journal:

BlackBerry Bought Corporate Jet in July
    Smartphone Maker Acquired Used Plane as Losses, Job Cuts Loomed

By WILL CONNORS And MARK MAREMONT CONNECT
    WATERLOO, Ontario�Canadian smartphone maker BlackBerry Ltd., BB.T -16.08% which on Friday said it was set to post a loss of almost $1 billion for the quarter ended Aug. 31 and slash 40% of its workforce, only two months ago added a larger plane to its corporate-jet fleet.

The company purchased a 2006 Bombardier BBD.B.T -0.63% Global Express in July, according to Canadian aircraft-registry records. Although the price it paid for the jet couldn't be learned, similar planes are listed for sale for about $25 million to $29 million on a used-aircraft marketing website.

Less than a year ago, beset by slumping sales, BlackBerry sold one of its three corporate jets to cut costs. The sale left it with two Dassault Falcon jets that it had purchased several years earlier.

BlackBerry said Sunday that it acquired the used Global Express in July, but added that it now plans to sell its entire corporate-jet fleet due to its current financial straits.

"Earlier this year the company decided to sell both [Dassault] planes and replace them with one longer-range aircraft," company spokesman Adam Emery said in a statement. "The company considered several options and selected a used Bombardier aircraft, which was eventually delivered in July," he said.

Social-media posts indicate the older Dassault jets were spotted in Europe as recently as early this month, including on a flight to Marseille, France.

Mr. Emery said he wasn't sure when the two older jets were last used, but said he didn't "believe they have been flown since we took delivery of the newer used jet."

The new business jet, manufactured by Bombardier Inc. of Canada, is considerably larger than the jet BlackBerry sold last year, and can fly from New York to Tokyo without refueling.

"In light of the company's current business condition," Mr. Emery said, "the company has decided to sell that aircraft along with the two legacy aircraft and will no longer own any planes."

BlackBerry also said Friday that it would seek to cut operating costs by 50% after sales of its latest line of phones flopped. The company will write down nearly $1 billion in unsold phone inventory in the latest quarter.
    09-22-13 05:02 PM
    I voted none, though, not for the reason you listed.

Companies require jets for many reasons and it seems BlackBerry is going to be moving around the world for various events and such. It makes sense. I do not know if they have another or sold another jet to obtain a newer model, but jets are pretty typical for corporations. Just because BlackBerry relieved their over-staffed employees, which is sad, but part of going lean, does not make anyone some sort of devil or such as you make him out to be.

For what it's worth, if they just purchased the jet 2 months ago, it really makes you question all those who claim BlackBerry is dead or dying. Seems silly to buy a jet, unveil new products and post financials if you plan to die. But that's just my opinion.

To sum it up, no big deal and certainly nothing to crucify over, businesses need jets. I know of much smaller private business owners with nicer jets. Every company has made cuts, it's part of business. That's my opinion anyhow, and I'm sure that I will catch plenty of flack for it. To each his own.
    09-22-13 05:18 PM
    Seriously, no need to do any name calling.
    They were perhaps a little too enthusiastic with their new product and thought it would take off. Unfortunately, the only thing that took off was the new used plane they bought. But considering how many global events they have been doing, their rationale for a new longer range plane isn't tooooooooo scandalous.
    FastLane228 likes this.
    09-22-13 05:23 PM
    Fair answer. You see I was warned by a leader in Telecom who buy millions of Blackberry's from Heins. This guy told me heins was arrogant, he didn't like him, and he and his team hadn't flown commercially in the last year.

Thats millions upon millions of dollars.

they could be BES 10 deployment teams...BBM launch teams (Clearly missing some of those)

The whole thing is horrific and board of Directors are deep on this one. Where was the oversight?
    milo53 likes this.
    09-22-13 05:25 PM
    Andrew, do you have any clue how many people he fired from 45,000 feet while sipping champagne?

Ok, you deleted the word "Pig" out of my title, can I use "Schwein" instead?
    Last edited by mikeycollins13; 09-22-13 at 05:52 PM.
    RearViewMirror3 likes this.
    09-22-13 05:37 PM
    At least the new jet was made in Canada...
    09-22-13 05:49 PM
    The arrogance of CEOs never seize to amaze me. Reminds me of the Detroit CEOs flying their Lears/Gulfstreams up to Washington DC to beg to be bailed out for their own DECADES of mismanagement.

The thing to realize, a corporate just: the purchase price is the beginning. Gotta keep two pilots employed. Hanger Fees, fuel, maintenance, landing fees.... that is an expense that is HUGE. there are plenty of private jet charter services available that would provide the same for a fraction of the cost. This is just pure ego and arrogance in action.
    cckgz4, laketrout73, Etios and 1 others like this.
    09-22-13 07:05 PM
    At least the new jet was made in Canada...
    Plus it was a used 2006 model.
    09-22-13 07:06 PM
    Plus it was a used 2006 model.
    Aircraft don't depreciate the ways cars do, so buying a used airplane does not necessarily mean much in terms of savings.
    ronfc and boi2012 like this.
    09-22-13 07:13 PM
    Can't they just fly first class instead?
    09-22-13 07:13 PM
    "can fly from New York to Tokyo without refueling.".

Maybe they are making a push for Japan?
    09-22-13 07:18 PM
    Not to Malaysia it seems...
    09-22-13 07:20 PM
    Not if they're discussing corporate business, in which case they'd be opening themselves up to people overhearing inside information. There's a reason corporations have private jets to travel and it's not just about luxury.
    09-22-13 07:21 PM
    Here are two photos of the beautiful jet BlackBerry bought. Did Kevin design the interior? All it needs is a few Crackberry mugs for the finishing touch.

WSJ- BBRY Corporate Jet Scandal-2006_bombardier_global_express_xrs_n4t1-580x362.jpg
    WSJ- BBRY Corporate Jet Scandal-global-express-interior-580x447.jpeg

Posted via CB10
    milo53, LuisCast, jpvj and 2 others like this.
    09-22-13 07:27 PM
    Not if they're discussing corporate business, in which case they'd be opening themselves up to people overhearing inside information. There's a reason corporations have private jets to travel and it's not just about luxury.
    See the above photos. lol
    LuisCast likes this.
    09-22-13 07:29 PM
    Ok? With tech features (like Tvs, sound, etc) that are required for presentations and such, there comes certain amenities. Nearly every Bombardier and similar jet is going to look like that inside and I've seen much nicer. People talk about Thorsten like he's Richard Fuld or something.
    citystars41 likes this.
    09-22-13 07:32 PM
    Haha that looks terrible. How can they even get anything done in those horrible work condition? Props to Thor for making due with that....

Posted via CB10
    xBURK and Berry_Pink like this.
    09-22-13 07:35 PM
    Who cares.... many cooperation have jets my employer does as well and so what... there are policy 's out there that do not allow CEO's and Sen VP to fly together. It's cheaper ( time) to fly these to wherever then in a commercial flight I hate when my flight gets cancelled and u think a CEO will spend the night at an airport... don't think so. and as for pig or Schwein leave the nationality out if this game that has no home here.

Posted via CB10 on my Zee10 on 10.2.xXxX
    gobimmer and FastLane228 like this.
    09-22-13 07:36 PM
    Good one!

"can fly from New York to Tokyo without refueling.".

Maybe they are making a push for Japan?
    h20work likes this.
    09-22-13 07:36 PM
    The arrogance of CEOs never seize to amaze me. Reminds me of the Detroit CEOs flying their Lears/Gulfstreams up to Washington DC to beg to be bailed out for their own DECADES of mismanagement.

The thing to realize, a corporate just: the purchase price is the beginning. Gotta keep two pilots employed. Hanger Fees, fuel, maintenance, landing fees.... that is an expense that is HUGE. there are plenty of private jet charter services available that would provide the same for a fraction of the cost. This is just pure ego and arrogance in action.
    I saw a piece of video recently that showed Heins being delivered to work in a chauffeur driven car. The driver then got out and helped him into his suit jacket and smoothed the shoulders before Heins walked away.

Seeing that it was really clear to me what one of the problems with this company is.
    kevinnugent and Berry_Pink like this.
    09-22-13 07:39 PM
    "In light of the company's current business condition," Mr. Emery said, "the company has decided to sell that aircraft along with the two legacy aircraft and will no longer own any planes."
    Sort of like their new phones and their legacy devices.

What, too soon?
    h20work, eldricho, kbz1960 and 3 others like this.
    09-22-13 07:41 PM
    Who cares? Ok, I'll play along.

Thousands of families in Waterloo care. Thousands of shareholders care. Journalists with deadlines care. Thousands (if not millions) of current and would be consumers care.

On another note, the WSJ has got this on lock.

Who cares.... many cooperation have jets my employer does as well and so what... there are policy 's out there that do not allow CEO's and Sen VP to fly together. It's cheaper ( time) to fly these to wherever then in a commercial flight I hate when my flight gets cancelled and u think a CEO will spend the night at an airport... don't think so. and as for pig or Schwein leave the nationality out if this game that has no home here.

Posted via CB10 on my Zee10 on 10.2.xXxX
    xBURK and Etios like this.
    09-22-13 07:43 PM
    Sort of like their new phones and their legacy devices.

What, too soon?
    They're going to fill the plane with Z10s, and the buyer has to take the Z10s long with the plane. It's all part of the "inventory optimization program" they've started.
    h20work, Berry_Pink and Etios like this.
    09-22-13 07:43 PM
    Haha that looks terrible. How can they even get anything done in those horrible work condition? Props to Thor for making due with that....
    No doubt. What a dump.
    ray689 likes this.
    09-22-13 07:58 PM
    http://www.businessinsider.com/black...te-jet-2013-9?

Looks like they are selling all their planes now. Read the last paragraph of the article above. Wow, they listen to Crackberry fast.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 08:01 PM
191 123 ...