PlayBook: Released too early with missing features
    BB10: Released too early with missing features, many considered it a step back from OS7 in many critical areas (Notifications, etc...)

Cross platform BBM: Too little too early.

BlackBerry should have had BBM Channels ready to go after beta testing it among BB10 users. Channels should have been included on all platforms to give users something to be excited about. Video chat, WiFi calling and the rest of the features should have been included. I can understand why screen-share would be restricted to BB10 devices.

Thoughts? I know they just wanted to get it out there as soon as possible, but it's unfinished and it won't be long before WhatsApp adds in read receipts.
    09-22-13 12:07 PM
    PlayBook: Released too early with missing features
    BB10: Released too early with missing features, many considered it a step back from OS7 in many critical areas (Notifications, etc...)

Cross platform BBM: Too little too early.

BlackBerry should have had BBM Channels ready to go after beta testing it among BB10 users. Channels should have been included on all platforms to give users something to be excited about. Video chat, WiFi calling and the rest of the features should have been included. I can understand why screen-share would be restricted to BB10 devices.

Thoughts? I know they just wanted to get it out there as soon as possible, but it's unfinished and it won't be long before WhatsApp adds in read receipts.
    WhatsApp already has a system to imply if the message is read by showing the time last seen!

And the reason why BB did not include Video Calling is because they plan to make it a premium feature, I mean they have to find some way to make money off BBM4ALL?

The biggest thing would have been to provide a nearly flawless product, even if it had a small amount of features. Quality matters over Quantity. BB seems to failed at that, yet again! BBM for iPhone should have had the new keyboard from iOS7 implanted but it uses the ugly iOS6 keyboard, and iOS7 was definitely available to developers, so there shouldn't be any excuses!
    09-22-13 12:15 PM
    I agree, it would be great but I think the more options you launch with, the more potential for bugs and problems to arise.

Aside from video chat and channels, I would have liked to see the ability to transfer files. Currently on BBM for iPhone, you can only send pictures and voice notes. No videos, no location, etc. which sucks because it means Whatsapp is still required.
    09-22-13 12:16 PM
    WhatsApp already has a system to imply if the message is read by showing the time last seen!
    This sucks about Whatsapp because even if you didn't read the message, people would think you read it.

And the reason why BB did not include Video Calling is because they plan to make it a premium feature, I mean they have to find some way to make money off BBM4ALL?
    I don't think so. I don't see them charging for this option. Where I think they will make money is advertising in Channels, maybe bringing BBM Money cross platform, etc.
    09-22-13 12:19 PM
    K

The biggest thing would have been to provide a nearly flawless product, even if it had a small amount of features. Quality matters over Quantity. BB seems to failed at that, yet again! BBM for iPhone should have had the new keyboard from iOS7 implanted but it uses the ugly iOS6 keyboard, and iOS7 was definitely available to developers, so there shouldn't be any excuses!

I like the iOS 6 key board. The new keyboard is crap and the type face is crap compared to the old. Although eye pleasing but from function perspective old one scores. My problem is some of the text is not legible esp on ipad mini and the design is too flat and too minimalistic.
    09-22-13 12:20 PM
    K

I like the iOS 6 key board. The new keyboard is crap and the type face is crap compared to the old. Although eye pleasing but from function perspective old one scores. My problem is some of the text is not legible esp on ipad mini and the design is too flat and too minimalistic.
    But you have to realize, the overall App look is just killed.
    09-22-13 12:33 PM
    But you have to realize, the overall App look is just killed.
    Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't BBM on iPhone simply load the "default" keyboard for the phone? Why would it pull up an old keyboard?
    09-22-13 12:47 PM
    K
    How did you get it to work on the iPad? It is officially only for the iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 12:48 PM
    Seems to be, not even the iTouch is supported yet, that product would take a chunk of youth market yet to get smartphone and not able to use Whatsapp..

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 12:57 PM
    Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't BBM on iPhone simply load the "default" keyboard for the phone? Why would it pull up an old keyboard?
    The videos posted on Crackberry said/showed the old keyboard on iOS7

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 03:10 PM
    The videos posted on Crackberry said/showed the old keyboard on iOS7
    I understand that, but how did the old keyboard creep in? Is BlackBerry packaging the keyboard with BBM? Wouldn't it just load the OS's default keyboard?
    edberry12 likes this.
    09-22-13 03:17 PM
    I understand that, but how did the old keyboard creep in? Is BlackBerry packaging the keyboard with BBM? Wouldn't it just load the OS's default keyboard?
    I was also wondering this when I viewed the 'first look' video posted on the front page. I thought, unless you jailbreak, you have not choice but to use whatever keyboard is provided by iOS?

EDIT: I think it has to do with whether the app is iOS7 'compatible' (i.e. won't crash), or has been 'updated for' iOS7 (using their iOS 7 SDK and recompiled with Xcode5). I'm guessing BBM is 'just' iOS7 'compatible' and there is some compatibility mode that reverts to the old keyboard? Or am I just talking crap?
    09-22-13 03:25 PM