BlackBerry’s Z30 previewed

BlackBerry has announced its long-awaited �A-Series� phone, a massive, 5-inch beauty with a big battery, stereo speakers, four microphones, dynamic antennas and a brand-new version of its BlackBerry 10 operating system.

The phone, now known as the �Z30� rather than the �A10� that it was called when it was in development, is BlackBerry�s best attempt so far to get itself back into the smartphone business in a serious way.

We�ve had one here in the Digital Life Labs for a day now, and our early impression is it could do the trick, provided the trick is to establish BlackBerry as a luxury niche brand for the sophisticated elite. The Z30 looks a little like an HTC One - one of the nicest phones ever made - and feels sort of like the serious working person�s Vertu, only with better software.

The launch of the Z30 coincides with the news that BBM, BlackBerry�s secure messaging platform that beats the pants of its rivals, will be coming to Android and iOS on September 21. Those operating systems already have a plethora of messaging apps, so BlackBerry will have its work cut out if BBM is to succeed, but if it does, it could help the company establish itself in that high-end niche.

BBM on iOS and Android devices won�t have all the fancy features that BBM on BlackBerry devices has - it won�t have BlackBerry�s new high-bandwidth voice calling, for instance, which judging from its specs should sound even better than Skype calling - and BlackBerry is hoping that people who use BBM on the lesser operating systems will come to view the BlackBerry operating system as something to aspire to.

That would sound a whole lot more plausible if BlackBerry could only get all the key app developers to release versions of their apps for BlackBerry devices (there is still no Spotify or Instagram on BB10, damn it), but with the company courting buyers and reportedly about to shed 40 per cent of its workforce, convincing third-party app developers to play along won�t be getting any easier.

Still, the Z30 is a marvel. It�s due in Australia in early October, with Telstra already having agreed to range it. Pricing has yet to be announced.

Stay tuned for a full review next week.

The Australian Financial Review

BY JOHN DAVIDSON
    09-18-13 07:19 PM
    Sounds good. I'd love for BlackBerry just to focus on high end

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by playbookster; 09-21-13 at 10:16 AM.
    09-18-13 07:34 PM
    Sounds food. I'd love for BlackBerry just to focus on high end

Posted via CB10
    So would I.

Posted via Q10
    09-21-13 04:17 AM
    Something positive, finally!

Posted via CB10
    Pulkit Kamal likes this.
    09-21-13 04:19 AM
    Something positive, finally!

Posted via CB10
    Most of the reviews on the Z30 are positive, even if you see the Firstpost review on the Z30, they said and portrayed it as a true business class phone, maybe the positivity is because of the cross platform BBM launch, but whatever keeps you from drowning is a relief
    Although I still wonder when will they start marketing this device in India properly, prolly you are the first BlackBerry girl I've seen in the wild.
    Let's hope for the best.

Proudly Z10ing. 24F40D3B
    09-21-13 04:26 AM
    Most of the reviews on the Z30 are positive, even if you see the Firstpost review on the Z30, they said and portrayed it as a true business class phone, maybe the positivity is because of the cross platform BBM launch, but whatever keeps you from drowning is a relief
    Although I still wonder when will they start marketing this device in India properly, prolly you are the first BlackBerry girl I've seen in the wild.
    Let's hope for the best.

Proudly Z10ing. 24F40D3B
    That's good to hear about the Z30.i've been reading and replying to threads "BlackBerry is dead,finished" etc coz of the billion dollar loss this quarter. This review is a break from all that. Yeah I have mentioned in the threads about marketing, ranbir kapoor is not enough!

Posted via CB10
    Pulkit Kamal likes this.
    09-21-13 04:30 AM
    I second that, however, I would say it's a business. Rise and Falls are inevitable here, a single mistake or decision can screw your whole annual agenda or plan, but then again they can be fixed on time. The place where I live, if a person who wants to check out the Q10, he or she has to buy that to check, can you even believe that? Dummy pieces are either drained or just a plastic piece. So, it's kind of obvious that the market and the user base of BlackBerry 10, if I were to say is entirely build up of hard core BlackBerry loyalist like you and me, but that alone isn't enough.
    LITERALLY NO MARKETING.
    Not whining, but I know it's capabilities, what all can this beast do. But the challenge is, let them know about this beautiful black beast and then make them realize, yeah, that you gotta have it. People still believe that it uses 400 rs. Plan, which isn't true, and when you tell them about it, they are like, "Instagram hai isme"? Lol.

Proudly Z10ing. 24F40D3B
    09-21-13 04:46 AM
    That's good to hear about the Z30.i've been reading and replying to threads "BlackBerry is dead,finished" etc coz of the billion dollar loss this quarter. This review is a break from all that. Yeah I have mentioned in the threads about marketing, ranbir kapoor is not enough!

Posted via CB10
    I second that, however, I would say it's a business. Rise and Falls are inevitable here, a single mistake or decision can screw your whole annual agenda or plan, but then again they can be fixed on time. The place where I live, if a person who wants to check out the Q10, he or she has to buy that to check, can you even believe that? Dummy pieces are either drained or just a plastic piece. So, it's kind of obvious that the market and the user base of BlackBerry 10, if I were to say is entirely build up of hard core BlackBerry loyalist like you and me, but that alone isn't enough.
    LITERALLY NO MARKETING.
    Not whining, but I know it's capabilities, what all can this beast do. But the challenge is, let them know about this beautiful black beast and then make them realize, yeah, that you gotta have it. People still believe that it uses 400 rs. Plan, which isn't true, and when you tell them about it, they are like, "Instagram hai isme"? Lol.
    *Sorry for posting on the wall. I was going to reply you.*

Proudly Z10ing. 24F40D3B
    09-21-13 04:47 AM
    LITERALLY NO MARKETING.

Proudly Z10ing. 24F40D3B
    Yeep.some amazing campaign that blows our socks off!I have seen demo pieces in croma or other electronic stores even local stores have a working demo piece,Ppl have to buy a phone to check it out is too much,it was unheard of for me.All that has to be managed. I have been whining about marketing all day.sigh.read this BlackBerry top guys.chuck instagram Ppl ask "isme temple run hai?" lol! XD

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 05:02 AM
    LITERALLY NO MARKETING.

Proudly Z10ing. 24F40D3B
    Also,they need a don draper.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 05:03 AM
    Also,they need a don draper.

Posted via CB10
    Haha, yes. I'm still not sure where is this company and their plans are headed, if they still wants to be seen in that 'Elite Executive' class, or that 'OMG, look at my awesome new made of glass phone which has finger print scanner and I am still not sure how is it going to be helpful, but I paid 200$ more for it (my dad paid for it)' phone.
    They have to set their plans and priorities according to regions, hire local marketing and advertising firms, who could tell the locals in the language they understand and functionalities that would be useful.
    I mean for iPhone, a finger print scanner, are you serious? They are simply telling those spoiled teenager brats to buy that because you won't look cool if you don't have it, and you know how good they are at whining.
    Lol.
    So yeah, they gotta drape some 'Don' image, even if they can't afford to have a real (ficitious) one.
    Let's become friends.

Proudly Z10ing. 24F40D3B
    09-21-13 05:17 AM
    Haha, yes. I'm still not sure where is this company and their plans are headed, if they still wants to be seen in that 'Elite Executive' class, or that 'OMG, look at my awesome new made of glass phone which has finger print scanner and I am still not sure how is it going to be helpful, but I paid 200$ more for it (my dad paid for it)' phone.
    They have to set their plans and priorities according to regions, hire local marketing and advertising firms, who could tell the locals in the language they understand and functionalities that would be useful.
    I mean for iPhone, a finger print scanner, are you serious? They are simply telling those spoiled teenager brats to buy that because you won't look cool if you don't have it, and you know how good they are at whining.
    Lol.
    So yeah, they gotta drape some 'Don' image, even if they can't afford to have a real (ficitious) one.
    Let's become friends.

Proudly Z10ing. 24F40D3B
    Agreed. Finger print scanning is absolutely useless, unless you're a FED,FBI or whatever. Lol.blowing your money for a feature you don't need and for NSA to get your prints. Nothing against apple I love 5c and 4s. We can talk all we want I hope BlackBerry does something about it.
    Sure

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 05:38 AM
    Lol,
    Add up, pin is here.

Proudly Z10ing. 24F40D3B
    09-21-13 06:31 AM
    Agreed. Finger print scanning is absolutely useless, unless you're a FED,FBI or whatever. Lol.blowing your money for a feature you don't need and for NSA to get your prints. Nothing against apple I love 5c and 4s. We can talk all we want I hope BlackBerry does something about it.
    Sure

Posted via CB10
    Lol,
    Add up, pin is here.
    Lol, I posted at a wrong place again.

Proudly Z10ing. 24F40D3B
    09-21-13 06:32 AM
    Sure

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I think if I were not a loyalist and if I empathize and act as a normal guy, why would I go for BlackBerry?
    I've nothing to flaunt, hub, peek, gestures and flow? No.
    You actually have to teach them for half an hour and it would still be less, like when I flaunt sometimes, I say like, "khuch bhi socho and my phone's keyboard would guess the sentence", "come let's have a picture and then I continously blink my eye" just to show the time shift feature.
    So, yes, but when you show others this finger print things (which I had on my laptop, 5 yrs back, compaq's some model it was already a celebrity in my college). It becomes a reason to look forward for. Just for flaunting.
    What else do they have?
    Huge quantity of (paid app, which have ads in them) apps?
    Lol.

Proudly Z10ing. 24F40D3B
    09-21-13 07:16 AM
    Dead z10 and Non functional q10.
    Proof.

Proudly Z10ing. 24F40D3B
    09-21-13 09:46 AM
    Proudly Z10ing. 24F40D3B
    09-21-13 10:03 AM
    Yes, thanks for this post. It has been an extremely depressing few days. It's staring to make sense why they reported the earnings early. Get it out of the way for good news on the Z30. Let's hope it can make some kind of traction with the press. It's a long shot, but anything is possible.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 10:35 AM
    Yes, thanks for this post. It has been an extremely depressing few days. It's staring to make sense why they reported the earnings early. Get it out of the way for good news on the Z30. Let's hope it can make some kind of traction with the press. It's a long shot, but anything is possible.

Posted via CB10
    Have faith sir, we are just passing thru' harsh conditions and times.

Proudly Z10ing. 24F40D3B
    xBURK likes this.
    09-21-13 10:37 AM