Hi,

I recently had issues with my blackberry and had to do a factory setting restore. Before the restore I had done a backup of all my contacts, messages, files, pictures to blackberry link. After doing the factory restore, I went do restore all that data and the backup file wasn't there.

Was the backup only saved on my Z10? The reason I did not restore to my backup and opted for a factory reset was I thought using the backup file I created today would include the issue that led to this whole problem.
    09-17-13 07:28 AM
    Your contacts can probably be restored via the cloud, once you add your email accounts, facebook and twitter the BB10 device SHOULD pull in all your contacts. Pictures and files MIGHT be on your SD card if you have one. Messages should also come back via adding the email, BUT your text message are probably gone.
    09-17-13 07:43 AM
    I know this is terrible. It is a lesson learned for you though. Link is VERY unreliable so from now on do everything you can to keep all your important info in the cloud or on the sd card. I know from experience. I have backed up about 15 times since I got my Z and I think i have had 4 successful restores. I have used every version of link and almost every version of OS. Link just sucks.
    09-17-13 07:59 AM
    Link is terrible. But for backups it's worked perfectly fine for me. Sorry OP.

Posted via CB 10 on my naked Z10
    09-17-13 09:14 AM
    Luckily I still have my old blackberry with all my old contacts and messages in it and I can just transfer that over, I will have lost anything since May, but that's fine.

The blackberry link is ********, any backup should be saved to the PC, not the device your trying to restore, so annyoned with blackberry right now.

Of course if it wasn't for the whole randomly restarting thing all of this could have been avoided. Lesson learned.

Thanks for your help guys
    09-17-13 09:26 AM
    Agreed Link is no where NEAR as good as Desktop Manager was!
    09-17-13 09:31 AM
    any backup should be saved to the PC, not the device your trying to restore
    It does save to the PC. It is located in the documents folder--blackberry--backup.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 11:32 AM
    I plugged the USB cable that came with my BlackBerry Z10 and I updated the BlackBerry link. It start the app but it keeps saying to update the version I'm using. I did update it and when it boots back up it does it again?

Am I doing something wrong. Im using a Windows 7 PC. I dont understand why it wont back up and why it keeps saying to update when I did that many times already.

Any tips appreciated. Thank you
    09-17-13 12:19 PM
    It does save to the PC. It is located in the documents folder--blackberry--backup.

Posted via CB10
    This just might solve my issue, I'll have to check when I get home.

How would I import the backup back into Link, when I click restore it doesn't show up.
    09-17-13 12:45 PM
    I think you have the option to browse to where it is saved. Once you choose to restore but it should default to that folder.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 12:57 PM
    I was able to find it but when I go to restore I get an error message saying "there was a warning during restore"

Does anyone know what that is about?
    09-17-13 03:55 PM
    Sorry for the maybe amature question. But how do we do a backup on the cloud?

I'm on a loaner z10 now and I'm already biting my lip on hopefully How i can get all my stuff transferred over to my repaired or replace z10.
    09-17-13 04:02 PM
    Restarted link and that error message went away when I re-plugged my Z10 in, don't know why that error message came up the first time, might be something to do with it not recognizing my Blackberry ID, as my backup was named after it, don't know for sure.

Anyways thanks for the help guys, phone is back up and running, just doing all the software updates now.
    09-17-13 05:02 PM
    I plugged the USB cable that came with my BlackBerry Z10 and I updated the BlackBerry link. It start the app but it keeps saying to update the version I'm using. I did update it and when it boots back up it does it again?

Am I doing something wrong. Im using a Windows 7 PC. I dont understand why it wont back up and why it keeps saying to update when I did that many times already.

Any tips appreciated. Thank you
    Did you try uninstalling and deleting link from your computer, restarting the computer then installing it again. Sometimes you need a restart for the computer to be fully aware the program isn't there anymore, computers and applications are fickle like that.
    09-17-13 05:03 PM
    Did you try uninstalling and deleting link from your computer, restarting the computer then installing it again. Sometimes you need a restart for the computer to be fully aware the program isn't there anymore, computers and applications are fickle like that.
    I will try your method tonight. Thank you
    09-17-13 06:02 PM
    I ran into exactly the same issue as the OP for the first time yesterday, and it was pretty disappointing. And it happened after I updated BB Link. I did a backup so that I could update the OS. After loading the OS, I went to do a backup, and for the first time, the backup file it had took about 30 mins to make was nowhere to be found!!

Not only that, my alternative backup options failed too! The IntouchApp Contacts app doesn't backup or restore all of the contacts, and leaves some out, and my SMS Backup app failed to reload all of the text messages I thought it had backed up. The text messages it did back up, it restored in chunks, and they are of course not actually linked to the contacts in your contact list. So any new text you receive from your contacts would show up in a new conversation. Fortunately I had an older backup file from a month ago I could go off of, but this was pretty disappointing.
    09-17-13 06:15 PM
    I've had backup issues before too. Though most recently I discovered that if you do a factory reset, you must set your blackberry ID on the phone before restoring your backup. Otherwise the backup fails with a non descriptive error.

I also now backup twice on both a mac and PC. One of the backups is bound to work!

Posted via CB10
    007Storm likes this.
    09-17-13 06:46 PM
    Hello,

I have backup my Z10 data with BlackBerry Link, but when I restore from backup, the PIN to PIN messages was NOT restored.

These messages not backup?

Thanks for help.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 11:37 PM
    Try Fire Chest Backup next time. It's free in BlackBerry World
    10-02-13 10:22 AM
    Hi Omar, Have you try to restore one by one? Restore setting then data and application one by one. It works for me.
    Hi,

I recently had issues with my blackberry and had to do a factory setting restore. Before the restore I had done a backup of all my contacts, messages, files, pictures to blackberry link. After doing the factory restore, I went do restore all that data and the backup file wasn't there.

Was the backup only saved on my Z10? The reason I did not restore to my backup and opted for a factory reset was I thought using the backup file I created today would include the issue that led to this whole problem.
    02-16-14 10:11 PM