Hey! I am a newbie from Mexico!

I just got a BB Pearl and was wondering how can I save a Birthday in my blackberry and be able to see in the calendar; do I have to do this as if it were an "appointment" isn't there a specific function for birthdays?

On other subjects, I know I can use my BB with a microSD as a flash drive, but can I also go and open and edit documents in my BB?? I use mostly MicrosoftOffice formats (.doc .xls .ptt) but I do not wish to pay for applications to it ???

HELP
    04-30-07 05:00 PM
    As far as I know, you'd have to set up the birthday as an appointment in your calendar. I have not seen a specific function for birthday's in the built-in calendar. Now there may be a 3rd party application that can handle that.

Yes, you can use the microSD as a flash drive, but you will not be able to open office docs on your BB with it.
    04-30-07 05:40 PM
    I believe this is the case as well.

Welcome from Mexico!
    04-30-07 07:39 PM
    I miss the birthday thingy...my MDA (WM5 deivice) used to automatically add an all day event once i input birthdays into the contact info...too bad RIM hasn't picked up that yet...
    04-30-07 07:41 PM
    Nice feature....I hope they add that
    04-30-07 07:42 PM
    Wait, am I missing something here?

In Outlook, if you have the info in the 'details' of the contact, 'birthday section' that will sync to the BlackBerry. Well, mine does anyway...

As for Word documents on the memory card. Best thing to do, it to convert Word docs to Notepad, i.e. copy & paste. Those will show on the card, and are readable. Not too sure about a 'cheat' for Excel...
    04-30-07 10:12 PM

In Outlook, if you have the info in the 'details' of the contact, 'birthday section' that will sync to the BlackBerry. Well, mine does anyway...
    Soo...the birthday will show up in the calendar? on the contact's birthday? i think that's what the OP was getting at...atleast, that's how i read it...

As for Word documents on the memory card. Best thing to do, it to convert Word docs to Notepad, i.e. copy & paste. Those will show on the card, and are readable. Not too sure about a 'cheat' for Excel...
    good tip about the notepad...i'll have to use that one. (although i hate loosing all the MSWord formating...)
    04-30-07 10:21 PM
    Yap, just checked it out. Navilyn is correct. Details in Outlook in a contact is then picked up on a sync.

YAH!!

05-01-07 10:52 AM
    Cool! I stand corrected...I had no clue that BB would pick up details from outlook. Now to go dig up everyone's b-days...*begins furiously rumaging through desk*
    05-01-07 04:50 PM
    Okie, the b-day thingy totally worked.

Now I've got a new issue...how do I change the default so that there is no reminder? I hate having to change the '15min' to 'none' ...
    05-01-07 06:04 PM
    In Outlook, go to TOOLS / OPTIONS / Calendar, uncheck the box marked 'default reminder'...
    05-01-07 07:09 PM
    In Outlook, go to TOOLS / OPTIONS / Calendar, uncheck the box marked 'default reminder'...
    AHH!! u'r a lifesaver...thank you much.
    I gotta look around on Outlook a bit more...never really did much with Outlook besides back up my info..lol.
    05-01-07 07:45 PM
    you could also set it as an appointment and have it repeat it yearly.

I realize it's not the same thing, but if you don't use Outlook it can be a solution.

Manuel
    05-07-07 08:36 AM
    Dedalus, welcome to CrackBerry.com and very good point you made here...
    05-07-07 09:23 AM
    Thanks for the tip on useing Outlook to setup birthdays. I was going threw and doing it all manually. Way Easier this way. LOL.....
    05-13-07 09:32 PM
    So is there any way for have this display on your blackberry when you look at the contact?
    05-14-07 01:02 AM
    No, sorry! It will only show in the Calendar...
    05-14-07 06:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD