Hi guys,

I've just got a really good deal to get a Q10. I was wondering, as it's already 2-3 months old, should I wait a few more months and get the successor to the Q10 as the Z10 is now almost end of life and signing up to a 2-year contract means that the Q10 will be dated by 1, maybe 2 Q10 successors before I can upgrade again.

Anyone have a 2014 roadmap or something as I read that BlackBerry are announcing 6 devices this year (Q10, Z10, Q5, 9320?) meaning there are 2 devices left (3 if you don't count 9320)

And lastly, coming from a 9900, I'm scared about losing the trackpad, is having everything touch ok when coming form a 9900?

Thanks
    09-15-13 02:00 PM
    You can go crazy trying to figure out when a new device is going to pop up that you'd like better than what's available now. Believe me, I know!
    My personal opinion is that when a device comes along that I know I want, I just get the darned thing and worry about the future later. Enjoying a new device now is better for me.

As for losing the trackpad? I was using the 9900 as well. I knew that a QWERTY keyboard BB10 device was coming. But I was at a Crackberry event just after the BB10 release at the end of January, and was able to play with the Z10. Liked it enough that I decided to grab one, fully intending to put it on eBay and grab the Q10 when it became available. I was a little concerned about losing the trackpad, but after a couple of days I completely forgot about it. The BB 10 OS doesn't need it at all. I think you'll find most BB 10 users concur.

Footnote: When the Q10 was released, I had one given to me for a couple of weeks by my company to test. I liked it, but oddly enough I prefer the Z better. DO NOT let my opinion sway you between one or the other. The Q10 battery life is better than the Z; it has the best QWERTY keyboard; feels great in the hands. It all comes down to which will work better for you)
    kayuz6 likes this.
    09-15-13 02:51 PM
    You can go crazy trying to figure out when a new device is going to pop up that you'd like better than what's available now. Believe me, I know!
    My personal opinion is that when a device comes along that I know I want, I just get the darned thing and worry about the future later. Enjoying a new device now is better for me.

As for losing the trackpad? I was using the 9900 as well. I knew that a QWERTY keyboard BB10 device was coming. But I was at a Crackberry event just after the BB10 release at the end of January, and was able to play with the Z10. Liked it enough that I decided to grab one, fully intending to put it on eBay and grab the Q10 when it became available. I was a little concerned about losing the trackpad, but after a couple of days I completely forgot about it. The BB 10 OS doesn't need it at all. I think you'll find most BB 10 users concur.

Footnote: When the Q10 was released, I had one given to me for a couple of weeks by my company to test. I liked it, but oddly enough I prefer the Z better. DO NOT let my opinion sway you between one or the other. The Q10 battery life is better than the Z; it has the best QWERTY keyboard; feels great in the hands. It all comes down to which will work better for you)
    Hey,

Thanks for your reply. I really like the look of the Q10 and am even asked by phone store employees as to why I'm going for the Q10 rather than the iPhone 5/S4 etc... I can live without the trackpad as I am used to all touch screen phones (briefly had a Galaxy device) but I just don't want the Q10 to become "dated" so quickly as the internals are still average compared to other phones that it was made to contend with.

Is it true that between the 9900 and the Q10 there was a difference of about 18 months?
    09-15-13 03:21 PM
    The iPhone 5 is outdated by 2 years since it's real an iPhone 4... and now apple is marketing the 5C as a economy phone for budget shoppers.. well the 5C is the same as the iPhone 5..

I feel bad for all the iPhone 5 owners, not really.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 03:25 PM
    The iPhone 5 is outdated by 2 years since it's real an iPhone 4... and now apple is marketing the 5C as a economy phone for budget shoppers.. well the 5C is the same as the iPhone 5..

I feel bad for all the iPhone 5 owners, not really.

Posted via CB10
    I do agree somewhat with your point however, the innards of the iPhone are updated considerably, especially with the new 5S, first ever phone to use a 64 bit processor? Like I said in my OP, the Q10 looks great however I'm worried about it being quickly outdated/newer model as it's innards are average when compared to the "top" phones it is competing with.
    09-15-13 03:47 PM
    I do agree somewhat with your point however, the innards of the iPhone are updated considerably, especially with the new 5S, first ever phone to use a 64 bit processor? Like I said in my OP, the Q10 looks great however I'm worried about it being quickly outdated/newer model as it's innards are average when compared to the "top" phones it is competing with.
    64 bit is irrelevant when you are still using 1-2 GB of ram, what's the point if they didn't make the ram at least 4GB. Apple just adds one new feature that no one else has, useful or not and rides the fame off of their name to sell it.

Posted via CB10
    Danny Ocean likes this.
    09-15-13 03:57 PM
    Hey,

Thanks for your reply. I really like the look of the Q10 and am even asked by phone store employees as to why I'm going for the Q10 rather than the iPhone 5/S4 etc... I can live without the trackpad as I am used to all touch screen phones (briefly had a Galaxy device) but I just don't want the Q10 to become "dated" so quickly as the internals are still average compared to other phones that it was made to contend with.

Is it true that between the 9900 and the Q10 there was a difference of about 18 months?
    If I recall correctly, the 9900 was released the summer of 2011. The Q10 was almost summer of 2013. So, actually closer to 2 years.

As to specs being outdated -- I can only say it's not the speed of your chip, it's what you can do with it.
    bbnrs likes this.
    09-15-13 04:08 PM
    If you want the best physical keyboard on the market get the Q10. If the keyboard and the ability to get things done quicker isn't a big deal then there are plenty of better toys.

Posted via Q10
    09-15-13 04:37 PM
    If you want the best physical keyboard on the market get the Q10. If the keyboard and the ability to get things done quicker isn't a big deal then there are plenty of better toys.

Posted via Q10
    Like the Bloated S4 that comes with 10 GB of Samsung/carrier bloat ware? Lul.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 04:39 PM
    Thank you for everyone and their replies.

Apple devices are built very, very well. From the software to the hardware they are impeccable, therefore they can survive with less ram than their Android/BB counterparts. I am using a 4S at the moment running iOS 7 (beta) and it is smoother than Android and Blackberry and only has 512Mb of RAM!

But back to the main point. If I get the Q10 now, when are we looking at BlackBerry releasing it's successor?
    09-15-13 05:05 PM
    I would say at least a year before another Q10 upgrade. Other BlackBerry phones yes, an upgraded Q10 at least a year.

Posted via Q10
    09-15-13 05:16 PM
    [QUOTE=hamzab;9173683]Hey,

Thanks for your reply. I really like the look of the Q10 and am even asked by phone store employees as to why I'm going for the Q10 rather than the iPhone 5/S4 etc... "

Sounds like you made up your mind already.
    09-15-13 05:28 PM
    [QUOTE=Q100;9174336]
    Hey,

Thanks for your reply. I really like the look of the Q10 and am even asked by phone store employees as to why I'm going for the Q10 rather than the iPhone 5/S4 etc... "

Sounds like you made up your mind already.
    I haven't.
    09-15-13 06:01 PM
    If you get the q10 there might be new hardware in a year.

If you get the iPhone 5s it will be out dated by next August when iPhone 6 comes out.

If you get the s4, it will be out dated by spring if not sooner.

You choose.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 06:12 PM
    Listen you can't win with technology, when you buy new electronics, TV's, Phones, computers, it's pretty much outdated out the door.

IMO, specs are overrated unless you choose android, you look at ios, wp8, BB10, they are buttery smooth. The specs are crazy good for a cell phone, will it improve? Hell yeah!

At this point if you feel like an all touch wait for the Z30, if you want a physical keyboard get the Q10, in two years you'll be able to get whatever the latest/greatest will be, again it will be dated within a couple months. Its a vicious circle, get what you need now, or you never will.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 08:20 PM
    Hey,

The hardware the Q10 is actually really good for this phone, it's hardly outdated as well. Runs smoother then most androids most of the time

Sent From Q10/HTC One
    09-15-13 08:23 PM
    Android created that hype about the bigger screens, faster processors, more cores and so on. But most fans can hardly admit that it's not the hardware that makes android laggy. It's the UX/UI. I want to see any phone out there going through home screens like BB10 when you slide your finger on the bottom all the way between HUB and last screen... have you guys seen that?

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 09:52 PM
    Are there any news on this questions?

As the Passport (large) and Classic (old technology back) are not really the natural successor of a Q10 I am interested by when I could get my Q10 replaced and by what kind of device.
    12-12-14 02:50 AM
    That's a decision that only you can make yourself.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 05:07 AM
    Has anyone heard if BlackBerry has a Q10 successor planned to release within the next 6-12 months?

(and no: I dont want the classic belt back and: the passport is too large to type with one hand, I tried already)
    03-26-15 12:58 PM
    The mysterious "4th device" mentioned at MWC could be a Q10 successor, as John Chen said that there won't be a new full touch device in 2015 except Leap. The question is whether it will come to market before John Chen shuts the smartphone division down or switches to Android.
    03-26-15 01:01 PM
    Has anyone heard if BlackBerry has a Q10 successor planned to release within the next 6-12 months?

(and no: I dont want the classic belt back and: the passport is too large to type with one hand, I tried already)
    I'm with you.

Blackberry has marketed the Classic as a Bold 9900 successor, so I hope they release a new "Q" model, without a toolbelt. If they increase the size to be similar to the Classic, they can add extra screen real estate in place of the toolbelt.

Posted via CB10
    schwede likes this.
    03-26-15 01:54 PM
    The mysterious "4th device" mentioned at MWC could be a Q10 successor, as John Chen said that there won't be a new full touch device in 2015 except Leap. The question is whether it will come to market before John Chen shuts the smartphone division down or switches to Android.
    Please no.
    andy957 likes this.
    03-27-15 10:47 AM
    I'm with you.

Blackberry has marketed the Classic as a Bold 9900 successor, so I hope they release a new "Q" model, without a toolbelt. If they increase the size to be similar to the Classic, they can add extra screen real estate in place of the toolbelt.

Posted via CB10
    Ditto, I'm really really holding thumbs for a Q15 if you like, that's the same size of the Classic but just has no tool-belt which means it could possibly have a 3.7" inch screen. Maybe 920 x 920 .

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.3.1.2243
    03-28-15 07:02 AM
    It all depends upon usage. Q10 is an outright communication tool period. A larger screen desired by some is at the expense of the key board. A good compromise might be the "classic." But for me the questions of portability and communication is answered by the Q10.
    03-28-15 12:42 PM
32 12