Ok, the title of this thread might be leading to wrong assumptions. My wife was looking after new clothes in a store today, I had myself installed on a comfortable chesterfield lounge chair and was surfing the net using my mighty Q10.

I've found this video of a dutch designer, who want's to create completely modular mobile phones (now you see where I come from introducing Z10-M and Q10-M). I find this idea very interesting and promising for the future, as a user can compose his phone according to his needs, and in comparison to Moto X not to design, but to complete setup.

Now, we have heard a lot of rumors, speculations and else circulating the net and press due to the latest announcement of BBRY about a selling of the company or maybe parts of it, namely the hardware business (how dumb this was... I know customers who now say: Why should we upgrade to BES10, if we don't know where the company is going/ending to).

What if you were able to create your BB10 device by following the approach of the designer? What if you could choose between different displays, bezels, cams, network interfaces, coloring, material, shapes and so on? I think this would be absolutely wicked! That would also - if available tommorrow - create a unique USP (design your HW and get the best OS to run it) to BBRY, Google/Motorola's approach with the moto X "create your own individual thing..." would not stand such an approach).

Furthermore, following the recent discussions that BBRY could be a purely software company in the future, this would be a big thing. Why? The assembly of putting such a modular phone together, loading up BB10 in the end of the production process (with pre-installed highly requested apps) can be completely outsourced (maybe similar today). BBRY maybe could also be part of the Android and iOS market, even a user does not wish to install BB10 on his device - "BBRY assemply" would add BBM on that 3rd party OS to it (maybe also SWS), similar to as if you buy a PC today, you always find 3rd party pre-installed SW on it (hope you get my thoughts though...).

Now things get to roll.

So, dear Thorsten, you have installed a special board. Maybe to solve BBRY's problems needs a complete crazy, different approach (in resulting what the iPhone exactly did when it was first released), what I personally assume, and therefore:

Get that project, get that technology, and be the first to offer it! Innovation means progress! Put Business Administration aside for a moment.

Last edited by snpd; 09-14-13 at 12:50 PM.
    09-14-13 11:58 AM
    Fascinating! Love the concept.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 12:10 PM
    I was going to write something about this, but this article says what I was going to.

Why Lego Design Principles Don't Work On Smartphones | Co.Design | business + design
    09-14-13 02:38 PM
    I saw that and all I could think of was Windows phones with the coloured bricks.

CB10 - 10.2.0.1725
    09-14-13 02:40 PM
    It would be grand but pretty difficult to pull off.
    Essentially each module would need some kind of transceiver (like USB for example) and the motherboard would need to be awash with ports so you could plug in modules of any shape.
    The problem with the design is one of size (it will obviously result in a thicker phone), power consumption (all those transceivers would be thirsty - even if you could power the unused ports down) and price (more components and configurability = more expensive).
    As for the software I would like to see a system where you use a PC/Mac/whatever, connect your phone and have the host computer rebuild the OS based on your hardware configuration so the kernel is as thin as possible (should give the fastest boot time and smallest memory footprint) then reflash the phone's ROM.
    BlackBerry's autoloader shows that it is possible to split chucks of the ROM code and still maintain security.

In conclusion, I would love to see it happen and I hope BBRY is right there in the thick of it!
    09-14-13 10:15 PM
    It sounds like a very cool idea but I'm sure it would turn out to be very costly for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 10:25 PM
    I really love this concept.
    09-14-13 11:54 PM