Hey guys,

So I got my BlackBerry 9700 and I'm running it without BIS. I installed Whatsapp and it seems to work with my regular carrier data plan but still very often it just randomly disconnects and I don't receive messages and can't send any. Is that due to the fact that I don't have BIS or is it just a minor setup issue that's easy to get rid of?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Phil100291; 09-14-13 at 10:59 AM.
    09-14-13 10:28 AM
    Hey guys,

So I got my BlackBerry 9700 and I'm running it without BIS. I installed Whatsapp and it seems to work with my regular carrier data plan but still very often it just randomly disconnects and I don't receive messages and can't send any. Is that due to the fact that I don't have BIS or is it just a minor setup issue that's easy to get rid of?

Thanks in advance!
    Well yes and no, whatsapp is tricky, AFAIK it uses SMS to verifiy and phone numbers, but sends over a data connection instead of using SMS...if that makes any sense
    09-14-13 01:17 PM
    I think without BIS, WhatsApp only works over Wi-Fi. Or am I wrong?
    09-14-13 01:29 PM
    I use whatsapp on my 9900 without BIS , using normal data, even tough they state it's required.

C0001BBF0 - BlackBerry 10 help channel.
    09-14-13 01:32 PM
    I had the same issue and after searching through various sites I found that it was coz i didn't have BIS.

Sent from my Q5 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-14-13 01:46 PM
    Well the point is that it's (generally speakin) working for me...the only thing is that it goes offline from time to time, from my point of view for no particular reason...I'm just not sure if that happens because I don't have BIS but only a regular data plan from my carrier.
    09-14-13 03:00 PM
    Ok so I managed to get it to work but doing a battery pull. The only thing that still isn't going well is Whatsapp + Auto On/Off. Everytime the Bold shuts itself down at night and restarts in the morning my Whatsapp doesn't go online until I open it for the first time after the boot. That means I don't get any messages that were sent during the night while my phone was off unless I open Whatsapp. Any suggestions?
    09-15-13 07:43 AM
    Im using whatsapp on bb 9360 without bis and their is no issue regarding auto disconnect. Allthough i faced this problem when i started using app but after changing permissions ot didnt showed any problem of disconnection like many suggested resolving bt battery pull, etc. So what I did was

Bb 9360 OS
    OPTION>device>application management>whatsapp>edit permission
    Connections were all allowed
    But for interactions go to expand and select deny for browser filtering.
    For user data go to expand and select deny for secure element.

All though i cannot use official bb browser and bbm on my device but after changing the above for whatssapp, it totally got worked out satisfied. Im using over edge but when i turned my wifi onn, whatsapp got disconnected. So i did battery pull and again it whatsapp worked perfect without any disconnection.
    And yes, after turning off your cell phone you can still recive messages after turning it onn.
    Hope it works on your devices too..or i got lucky.
    05-01-14 12:18 PM
    ssup guys!
    i use a bold 9900 without bis as u guys have mentioned earlier whats app works for me perfectly for some time then it goes offline...well then i have to do this battery pull to make it work again..i thought was the only one with the problem well im glad to see i have company so its the phones problem huh..well pulling out the battery every time damages the phone!so it either we don use whats app in bb or chuck the damage and continue on with it
    07-15-14 09:32 AM