So interesting thing today at a bank:

I go to make a deposit at the counter and have my phone out to unlock and retrieve some account info. The young (early 20's) female teller says "Oh, that's a nice phone what kind of phone is that?" I say "It's a blackberry"

She said that "She has only used iPhones and with the recent release she wasn't going to pre-order because even the last upgrade didn't really change much and this release changed less" She did say that the thing she like dthe most was the iphone camera.

So I told her a few reasons I like the z10 (Hub, toasts w/ reply, lockscreen notification previews)

And the best parts of all she said "I'll have to go check one out in the store, I like how simple apple has kept iPhones but they just aren't cool anymore"

However she also did say that my phone "was really cool, she had no idea blackberry even made an all touchscreen phone" <<<MARKETING FAIL

So maybe the sheep are finally seeing the light. This girl was clearly not a tech geek but was still realizing that Apple has become complacent and idle. This latest iPhone release could be a perfect timing for Blackberry to capitalize.

Disclaimer: Just so everyone knows I have owned no less than 8 different models of Androids, WP7.5, and WP8. I have had the z10 for just over 2 weeks and this is how passionate I am about this phones OS.
    09-13-13 01:48 PM

I go to make a deposit at the counter and have my phone out to unlock and retrieve some account info. The young (early 20's) female teller says "Oh, that's a nice phone what kind of phone is that?" I say "It's a blackberry"

She said that "She has only used iPhones and with the recent release she wasn't going to pre-order because even the last upgrade didn't really change much and this release changed less" She did say that the thing she like dthe most was the iphone camera.

So I told her a few reasons I like the z10 (Hub, toasts w/ reply, lockscreen notification previews)

And the best parts of all she said "I'll have to go check one out in the store, I like how simple apple has kept iPhones but they just aren't cool anymore"

However she also did say that my phone "was really cool, she had no idea blackberry even made an all touchscreen phone"

So maybe the sheep are finally seeing the light. This girl was clearly not a tech geek but was still realizing that Apple has become complacent and idle. This latest iPhone release could be a perfect timing for Blackberry to capitalize.

Disclaimer: Just so everyone knows I have owned no less than 8 different models of Androids, WP7.5, and WP8. I have had the z10 for just over 2 weeks and this is how passionate I am about this phones OS.
    Just because someone uses an iPhone is no reason to call them a sheep...
    09-13-13 01:52 PM
    Yup, Apple users know it.. but they just can't admit it because they think that in order to look cool, you must carry something that has an apple logo.. 90% of them go by it's a "symbol"
    graylingboy likes this.
    09-13-13 01:54 PM
    Good Story, I always love when people are surprised about BlackBerry's new phones.

The more exposure the better... BB's marketing/advertising team REALLY has to step it up though.
    09-13-13 01:54 PM
    Not all are. This young lady virtually admitted to being one to preorder "just because". That's why I make the statement. There are millions just like her.
    09-13-13 01:57 PM

However she also did say that my phone "was really cool, she had no idea blackberry even made an all touchscreen phone"

Great to hear that you are loving the phone and converting others
    I have been team BlackBerry for 6 years now, although I've used devices and OSes from other companies before
    As a tech geek, I have to say that BB10 is one of the best platforms I have seen
    Apple iOS hasn't really chanced since the initial release. It has just been patched and polished, nothing innovating
    Slowly the isheep will start to realize this, and maybe realize that alternative platforms exist
    Many of them have their heads up their rear ends, oblivious to the world around them
    09-13-13 01:57 PM
    Had the opposite happen this week. Friends 18 year old had a curve, so I was excited and thinking she'd upgrade to BB10. Unfortunately, she said she is going to iPhone "because all my friends have them."

I told her she will miss the keyboard because she was fast on the curve, but she said she tried iPhone keyboard and liked it.

It wasn't about apps, it was what her friends had. I didn't know her enough to insult her but wanted to bad.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-13 02:09 PM

Right, just because they were 'assimilated into the collective' we shouldn't put them down, remember the BORG from Star Trek !!!!! hahaha, like Captain Picard before me at some point in time I was assimilated too but with great luck and treatment I was able to break free from it......wooooooweeeee..........LOL
    Nharzhool likes this.
    09-13-13 02:25 PM
    Hopefully if she goes to the store to check it out, it's not going to be like the stories we hear of the sales reps talking people out of a Z10.

I went with my friend to the Virgin Mobile store to pick up his Z10, and the manager (who was serving us) asked why he came in and wanted a Z10 off the bat. He seemed more curious, and my friend told him it was because that's what I had and he liked the phone when he played with mine and it does everything that he wants it to do (and has BBM to keep in touch with me easily). I also pointed out that this way, if he has a problem, I can help because I know my way around BlackBerry phones fairly well. The manager just laughed and said that BlackBerry users tended to know how to use their phones a lot more often than others. So we got my friend all set up.

Then a few days later my friend's Z10 was doing the random reboot thing. A lot. I said "Eh, this is a known issue, let's take it down to Virgin and see if they have a suggestion, or maybe swap your handset out for a new one." We went and were served by two of the most useless reps. Neither of them had any idea what they were talking about, she kept telling us we should "use bridge" to back it up and reload it, and if it keeps happening he could always come in and swap it for an android or an iPhone. We walked out I said "F this, they had no clue what they were doing. I will fix it myself." So I took his phone, loaded up the current leak (thanks BerryLeaks!) and solved the problem so my friend could go back to loving the phone.

Moral of my long rambling story is, the sales people at the store seem to really vary. In a way you can tell which ones really used BlackBerries (even if they've moved on) and still have a soft spot in their hearts for them, and the ones that iPhone was their first smartphone.
    09-13-13 02:27 PM
    Had the opposite happen this week. Friends 18 year old had a curve, so I was excited and thinking she'd upgrade to BB10. Unfortunately, she said she is going to iPhone "because all my friends have them."

I told her she will miss the keyboard because she was fast on the curve, but she said she tried iPhone keyboard and liked it.

It wasn't about apps, it was what her friends had. I didn't know her enough to insult her but wanted to bad.

Posted via CB10
    What's wrong with wanting the same phone as all of your friends? Believe it or not, some people dont care about phones enough to research which one is marginally better than the other. You may have told her how nice Blackberry 10 is but I'm guessing that you are one of the few if not the only one who did. Meanwhile all her friends have iPhones and have told her that they are happy with them, why shouldn't she get one? Why is your word better than all of her friends?
    09-13-13 02:38 PM
    What's wrong with wanting the same phone as all of your friends? Believe it or not, some people dont care about phones enough to research which one is marginally better than the other. You may have told her how nice Blackberry 10 is but I'm guessing that you are one of the few if not the only one who did. Meanwhile all her friends have iPhones and have told her that they are happy with them, why shouldn't she get one? Why is your word better than all of her friends?
    This may come off as judgey, but I grew up in a family with 9 kids in a small province. We didn't have much luxury growing up. One time when I was out shopping for new shoes with my Dad, I recall kicking up a fuss and pretending that the $50 shoes didn't fit and were uncomfortable and kept trying to get the $100 Nike shoes, pretty much only because my friends had them. It wasn't much longer after that I was able to reflect back on that experience and realize that is not a character trait I want, nor would I want my kids to have that trait.

If you go through life wanting something just because your friends do, you will be an unhappy person. IMO. If my kids asked for something just because their friends had it, I would likely never buy that item for them. These are beliefs that other people hold, as you have all heard, "if your friends jumped off a bridge...". I want my kids to think for themselves, to be a genuine person, and not be one of 'those people' who need to be in the materialistic camp from one season to the next.

If she had one negative thing to say about Blackberry, I probably wouldn't care as much. It was just that she wanted what her friends have, and that's something I find is not a good quality to have.
    09-13-13 03:16 PM
    Your analogy is a bit off, but I get your point. She's not spending double the money for something just because her friends have it. She's spending the same money for a comparable phone that all her friends use and she'll be more comfortable with

Sent from my Nexus 4 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-13-13 03:24 PM
    This may come off as judgey, but I grew up in a family with 9 kids in a small province. We didn't have much luxury growing up. One time when I was out shopping for new shoes with my Dad, I recall kicking up a fuss and pretending that the $50 shoes didn't fit and were uncomfortable and kept trying to get the $100 Nike shoes, pretty much only because my friends had them. It wasn't much longer after that I was able to reflect back on that experience and realize that is not a character trait I want, nor would I want my kids to have that trait.
    If she had one negative thing to say about Blackberry, I probably wouldn't care as much. It was just that she wanted what her friends have, and that's something I find is not a good quality to have.
    The thing is, there is a big difference between smartphones and shoes. With smartphones, there are valid reason of why getting the one that all of your friends have is the best choice. What if all of her friends use iMessage and Facetime to talk? What if she doesn't want to be left out when people are sharing Instagram pictures or Vines? What if she wants to play Candy Crush with her friends or download whatever the next big thing that all her friends with iPhones are using? Like you said, you "didn't know [this 18-year-old girl] enough to insult her but wanted to bad". What if she has her mind set on getting an iPhone and didn't know the man trying to get her to buy a Blackberry well enough to explain why she feels the iPhone is the best choice for her.
    09-13-13 03:43 PM
    Your analogy is a bit off, but I get your point. She's not spending double the money for something just because her friends have it. She's spending the same money for a comparable phone that all her friends use and she'll be more comfortable with

Sent from my Nexus 4 using CB Forums mobile app
    It wasn't an analogy as much as personal experience. The $ didn't need to be in the story to make the point, just part of my life lesson. I respect people a lot more who can think for themselves. If she just said one additional thing, like facetime with her friends, I wouldn't have cared 5 minutes later.
    Last edited by BCITMike; 09-13-13 at 03:59 PM. Reason: read before posting
    Rowan M likes this.
    09-13-13 03:55 PM
    Not all are. This young lady virtually admitted to being one to preorder "just because". That's why I make the statement. There are millions just like her.
    Millions also buy new BlackBerry devices 'just because'. That doesn't make them 'sheep'. That term sucks.
    Chris Marsch and Berry_Pink like this.
    09-13-13 03:55 PM
    The thing is, there is a big difference between smartphones and shoes. With smartphones, there are valid reason of why getting the one that all of your friends have is the best choice. What if all of her friends use iMessage and Facetime to talk? What if she doesn't want to be left out when people are sharing Instagram pictures or Vines? What if she wants to play Candy Crush with her friends or download whatever the next big thing that all her friends with iPhones are using? Like you said, you "didn't know [this 18-year-old girl] enough to insult her but wanted to bad". What if she has her mind set on getting an iPhone and didn't know the man trying to get her to buy a Blackberry well enough to explain why she feels the iPhone is the best choice for her.
    I see where you are coming from and agree with your points. I wouldn't have cared 5 minutes later if she did list ANY reason such as you listed. People can do what they want with their own money, it just sorely stuck with me as being *the* only reason.
    09-13-13 03:59 PM
    Most people buy the same smartphone as the people they associate with when they're not into tech because they know they'll be able to get help if they run into a problem. I had this conversation during an interview and I've noticed it since most of the people I associate with use smartphones.
    Sexy Sadie likes this.
    09-13-13 04:00 PM
    Maybe I'm in the wrong demographic but I don't know anyone who carries an iPhone to be cool. Typically it's because it works, it's consistent and there's a great app ecosystem. And support is top notch. Consistent is going to make it boring to some though.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-13 04:02 PM
    Maybe I'm in the wrong demographic but I don't know anyone who carries an iPhone to be cool. Typically it's because it works, it's consistent and there's a great app ecosystem. And support is top notch. Consistent is going to make it boring to some though.

Posted via CB10
    Apple support is amazing! I was traveling and my iPhone corrupted itself and their support had me up and running in less than ten minutes.
    09-13-13 04:09 PM
    Although I completely agree it's not a nice thing to say, but isn't a sheep one who doesn't know any better than to follow the herd? Lol. The teller in the OP was questioning the reason to follow the herd. Therefore not a sheep. A sheep to me is one that will try and tell me that their device is so amazing because of something everyone has. I especially hate the ones that take it personally. It's a phone. I ran into one guy today. I don't think that guy knew that modern smartphones have accelerometers but apparently that's what made iPhone so great that he felt the need to tell me. Maybe some people just feel the need to justify there personal choices. I dunno.
    09-13-13 04:18 PM
    Yup, Apple users know it.. but they just can't admit it because they think that in order to look cool, you must carry something that has an apple logo.. 90% of them go by it's a "symbol"
    marketing is a big filing. i met a woman one time who was surprised that blackberry has touch screen phones.
    09-13-13 04:21 PM
    And they wonder why we call them iSheep.....
    09-13-13 04:26 PM

However she also did say that my phone "was really cool, she had no idea blackberry even made an all touchscreen phone" <<<MARKETING FAIL

I think lot of people who like Z10 or want to try Z10 are people who have never used Blackberry before. I am very disappointed with the current Blackberry management because thay have the best OS right now and if they had priced the devices right, Blackberry would have got the users hooked on to BB10 really fast. I have never used a Blackberry phone before but BB10 is really cool.
    Davidro1 likes this.
    09-13-13 04:32 PM
    Hmmm, I don't know about that. Actually, I might have to disagree on that comment. They are sheep, ok may be iSheep.
    09-13-13 04:34 PM
    Don't over think the whole Apple or BlackBerry or Android thing.
    BlackBerry has an absence of some apps some people really want. They don't want to wait for who knows how long to get it.
    If you want Instagram or Vine, and are not comfortable with the whole sideload thing, BlackBerry won't be your first choice. Simple.
    I have 3 kids who all use Apple products. They are quite happy with them. And no, they aren't sheep.
    If someone on this forum drove a certain brand of car, would that make them a sheep too?
    Come on.... a phone is a tool that you use to perform certain tasks. if a particular tool doesn't do what you want it to, why buy it?
    Knock it off with the childish name calling. You want to sell people on BlackBerry? Show them what this device CAN do. Then let people make their informed decision.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-13 04:36 PM
155 123 ...