The most common reason you hear for people not buying BlackBerry is the lack of apps. At the same time, developers don't want to waste time developing for BlackBerry because they fear for the future of the company. This is a vicious circle. If I was the CEO of the company, this is what I'd do - for the next 12 months I would let developers keep 100% of the revenue made from every new app they develop. After this time they would receive the standard percentage. This would dramatically increase the number of apps available, and would help drive sales of devices. In the long term BlackBerry would actually make more money from apps due to the higher number of apps available. Everyone wins.
    09-12-13 02:04 PM
    Its a good thought but I am not sure if it would work as good as you would think. Some of the biggest apps missing are already free like instagram and netflix. For the small devs though this would be great for them
    09-12-13 02:26 PM
    The easiest way for BlackBerry to be super successful is to figure out how to go from uncool to cool overnight

Posted via my BlackBerry Z10
    mjdimer likes this.
    09-12-13 02:46 PM
    The key issue I've noticed as a devoted BB enthusiast, is that the majority of people who get one can't work out how to use them to get the most out of them. Eventually they get bored cos they this whole hunk of processing power and f*#k all to do with it so they end up buying an i-phone.

Best thing to do in my eye is to make sure there is enough aftersale support and online tutorials.
    HEY, maybe they should post a link here after the setup wizard takes its pound of flesh!
    And they should havd a tonne of apps that show off all of the handset's capabilities too.
    .....just saying like
    09-12-13 04:00 PM
    Its a good thought but I am not sure if it would work as good as you would think. Some of the biggest apps missing are already free like instagram and netflix. For the small devs though this would be great for them
    Agreed.

It has been suggested several times, even before BB10 came around. Remove development fees, and let devs keep 100% of sales for a set period.
    09-12-13 04:09 PM
    I've been toying with idea that RIM (or whatever it'll now go by) should develop a notebook pc. Its the newest frontier in the Hardware market, AND if made fully intergrated with the Playbook and Blackberry handset (ie wreless connection supporting both devices simultaneously whilst maintaining full functionality, intantantaneous file transfer and the capabilty for apps on one device to be supported on the smaller devices), you have a pretty mean barrage of techy yum-yums!

Imagine!, Skype conversations where you can simply hand a second device to someone in the room with you who can then join the conversation AND THEN A THIRD...... watching a DVD or a live stream and being able to leave the room only taking your playbook to keep up with the action whilst the room watch on the larger screen...... or pulling up any file saved on your harddrive with the option to save, making room effortlessly with quick "Media Drops" to sharpen your device's processing speed!

It'll have everything the latest notebooks can offer AND MORE! I know Apple are already kinda sucking this tit dry but without it, bb users are gona be relying on android, windows and mac for everything but the kitchen sink soon enough and Blackberry is gona be stuck in this rut with no new lines of income. And yes its a big job, but the just wasn't enough compared to what we wanted! Look at Xbox and SmartGlass and tell me this isn't future we imagined for all our tech.
    10-06-13 04:44 PM
    This could work for gaming, Blackberry matches android or iOS revenue for developers that port their games over.

Very simple model.
    wincyUt likes this.
    10-06-13 05:32 PM
    This could work for gaming, Blackberry matches android or iOS revenue for developers that port their games over.

Very simple model.
    That could end up being pretty, pretty pricey. I'm thinking BBRY already paid a good grip for Rovio, Gameloft etc to get on board.
    10-06-13 05:35 PM
    The most common reason you hear for people not buying BlackBerry is the lack of apps. At the same time, developers don't want to waste time developing for BlackBerry because they fear for the future of the company. This is a vicious circle. If I was the CEO of the company, this is what I'd do - for the next 12 months I would let developers keep 100% of the revenue made from every new app they develop. After this time they would receive the standard percentage. This would dramatically increase the number of apps available, and would help drive sales of devices. In the long term BlackBerry would actually make more money from apps due to the higher number of apps available. Everyone wins.
    Too little, too late I fear. Their competitors haave been in the game since 2007/2008. That is too big a headstart I think.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 06:13 PM
    I've been toying with idea that RIM (or whatever it'll now go by) should develop a notebook pc. Its the newest frontier in the Hardware market, AND if made fully intergrated with the Playbook and Blackberry handset (ie wreless connection supporting both devices simultaneously whilst maintaining full functionality, intantantaneous file transfer and the capabilty for apps on one device to be supported on the smaller devices), you have a pretty mean barrage of techy yum-yums!

Imagine!, Skype conversations where you can simply hand a second device to someone in the room with you who can then join the conversation AND THEN A THIRD...... watching a DVD or a live stream and being able to leave the room only taking your playbook to keep up with the action whilst the room watch on the larger screen...... or pulling up any file saved on your harddrive with the option to save, making room effortlessly with quick "Media Drops" to sharpen your device's processing speed!

It'll have everything the latest notebooks can offer AND MORE! I know Apple are already kinda sucking this tit dry but without it, bb users are gona be relying on android, windows and mac for everything but the kitchen sink soon enough and Blackberry is gona be stuck in this rut with no new lines of income. And yes its a big job, but the just wasn't enough compared to what we wanted! Look at Xbox and SmartGlass and tell me this isn't future we imagined for all our tech.
    Someone said to me on another thread that there was a rumor of a laptop that was run by inserting BB10 phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 06:54 PM
    ooh! Any links to this?
    I don't think having a laptop that'll ONLY work with a bb is the answer, you wana hook 'em with the sale of one then pedal the other two with the promise of them making you cooler than a snowman's cold bits, which ever one of the three you choose first.

Mind!, developers need cash too and the more you got onboard the more cool stuff you can get your hardware to do!
    10-07-13 12:38 PM
    ooh! Any links to this?
    I don't think having a laptop that'll ONLY work with a bb is the answer, you wana hook 'em with the sale of one then pedal the other two with the promise of them making you cooler than a snowman's cold bits, which ever one of the three you choose first.

Mind!, developers need cash too and the more you got onboard the more cool stuff you can get your hardware to do!
    Not that I know of. Was just a random comment.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-13 12:50 PM
    ooh! Any links to this?

There were companion notebooks for an old version of the mobile windows operating system some years ago. It might have been the original Windows CE but I'm not sure. I don't think they were very successful although I liked mine. It came down to why not just carry a notebook I think, however. There is a more modern version of this idea. It's called an iPad.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-13 02:15 PM
    Too little, too late I fear. Their competitors haave been in the game since 2007/2008. That is too big a headstart I think.

Posted via CB10
    so what do you want them to do? give up and do nothing?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    10-07-13 10:17 PM
    V.true GT, infact I did mention it, but as the person said, they can't bury their heads in the sand.
    The general buzz about ppl being "forgotten" or "abandoned" must be addressed, not that I've ever started banging THAT drum, but new revenue is needed and existing users need to feel like there is something being done to enhance their tappy, proddy pleasure at the same time.

What's wrong with a little comptitive plagerism anyhow?
    As long as BB make it their own and push things forward in the process, they'll only be doing what product developers have been doing since the age of product development!
    10-09-13 02:48 PM
    so what do you want them to do? give up and do nothing?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    I would have like to see them go out fighting! I have to say that IMHO, BB10 is THE BEST MOBILE OPERATING SYSTEM on the market today!

But people don't buy operating systems, they buy hardware or a platform that offers particular features they want. BlackBerry hardware has been good, but nothing that knocks peoples socks off. The Platform / APPS is where BB10 failed and continues, even after six months to fail.

So I don't want them to give up, but I'm realist enough to know that the people in charge right now don't have the "vision" to turn things around. And I don't see a buyer having the courage to invest heavily in continuing to build the platform.
    BroncoVAL and milo53 like this.
    10-09-13 03:22 PM
    The development signing keys used to cost $20 but then they scrapped those fees, not sure what percentage they have set on sales though but is a interesting idea.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 04:02 PM
    I buy BlackBerry for the security and efficiency plus it is easy to use. I really find Android the most frustrating to use and least secure. I personally have more apps than I would ever need for now, although others would not agree, this is a problem for sure for BlackBerry. Even if they focus on the business and government market, they need to offer the best selection of apps to please that market. The consumer market has merged with the business market in the way of app demand. They certainly have a uphill struggle to return to a major player. I hope they succeed. I don't like the other phone choices. In the future, I hope they focus on delivering a complete awesome product on time.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-13 02:37 PM
    I think the biggest issue is that people ain't don't know what BlackBerry 10 is. They just lump it with BBOS6/BBOS7.

So many people still tell me that the current BlackBerry phones are slow as they freeze and don't have touch screens. Someone has even gone as far to argue with me that my Z10 is not a BlackBerry and it is just a case.
    10-14-13 08:27 AM
    How about they quietly create a great product that's working properly upon release that pleases most of their targeted market. Then a week or so before it's release, they have a big marketing campaign to let everyone know about it. Do like Apple does and don't release any specs until the release day. People who like it will buy it, you can't please everyone and don't even try.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 03:14 PM
    I don't think apps are keeping people away from BlackBerry. I just think they don't know about all the amazing OS changes of BlackBerry 10. They think of there old Pearls and Curves and compare those to Apple and Android

Posted with my Z10 or my Q10 on Verizon from Philly
    10-15-13 09:19 PM
    A merger with Blok-phone would put them a very interesting spot...... has anyone seen that idea?
    10-20-13 02:45 PM
    I don't think apps are keeping people away from BlackBerry. I just think they don't know about all the amazing OS changes of BlackBerry 10. They think of there old Pearls and Curves and compare those to Apple and Android

Posted with my Z10 or my Q10 on Verizon from Philly
    or could it just be that they are happy with their Android, iOS or BBOS phone. Being beta testers (up to this point at least) is not something your average consumer wants to do.
    10-20-13 11:01 PM
    Apps are an obvious choice to get the ball rolling, but it's the bad perception of BlackBerry that needs to be addressed before anything. How? Not sure? It would have to be the best ad campaign in the history of tech. Very hard to accomplish.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 11:09 PM
    I've been saying for some time now that BlackBerry's marketing department needs a serious overhaul.
    I'm a tech geek, BlackBerry fan, and devoted Crackberry reader. I even watched the launch of Z10 live on the web.
    I wasn't able to get my Z10 until September. When I finally got it, I was astounded... not just at how awesome it is, but how much even I didn't know about its amazing features and capabilities.
    Being such a tech nerd, the fact that there were that many features I was not aware of really reflects on BlackBerry Marketing's critical failure.

Posted via CB10
    xBURK likes this.
    10-22-13 12:47 AM