View Poll Results: Should the next "Q" device have a Trackpad?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! It would help make navigating and text selection much easier, especially for former BBOS users!

38 31.67%
  • No, BB10 is designed to not need it, so BBRY shouldn't go 'back in time'!

75 62.50%
  • Indifferent; a trackpad would help, but I don't think it is essential.

7 5.83%
    Okay before anyone complains, hear me out. I am not a Q10 owner, but know several who are and have listened to their thoughts/suggestions/comments on their experience with the device so far. The biggest thing I'm hearing is that the lack of a trackpad is making the switch from BBOS7 to BB10 much more difficult than it needs to be.

Everyone I know who has a Q10 was a former BBOS7 user (they did not come from a different OS). They are a bit older and less comfortable using a touchscreen device (hence the fact they waited for the Q10 over the Z10). The single biggest difference they are finding is that they are forced to use the touchscreen for all their interactions with the screen (other than instant actions and keyboard shortcuts).

One of these people has switched back to their old Curve device for the sole fact that they couldn't get used to the touchscreen experience on the Q10. They really liked the Hub and the core features of BB10, but they just couldn't get used to not having a trackpad for precise navigation.

Keep in mind, these are older, more business-oriented users that demand quality and simplicity when emailing, browsing and editing documents. A trackpad helped offer the precision they needed, and the switch to purely touchscreen for this sort of thing has not been easy for them to adapt to.

What do you think? Should a "Q30" device include a trackpad?
    09-12-13 09:56 AM
    I don't think trackpad is needed. But better keyboard integration is (though its software issue).
    09-12-13 10:02 AM
    There was previously a thread on this
    09-12-13 10:10 AM
    Okay before anyone complains, hear me out. I am not a Q10 owner, but know several who are and have listened to their thoughts/suggestions/comments on their experience with the device so far. The biggest thing I'm hearing is that the lack of a trackpad is making the switch from BBOS7 to BB10 much more difficult than it needs to be.

Everyone I know who has a Q10 was a former BBOS7 user (they did not come from a different OS). They are a bit older and less comfortable using a touchscreen device (hence the fact they waited for the Q10 over the Z10). The single biggest difference they are finding is that they are forced to use the touchscreen for all their interactions with the screen (other than instant actions and keyboard shortcuts).

One of these people has switched back to their old Curve device for the sole fact that they couldn't get used to the touchscreen experience on the Q10. They really liked the Hub and the core features of BB10, but they just couldn't get used to not having a trackpad for precise navigation.

Keep in mind, these are older, more business-oriented users that demand quality and simplicity when emailing, browsing and editing documents. A trackpad helped offer the precision they needed, and the switch to purely touchscreen for this sort of thing has not been easy for them to adapt to.

What do you think? Should a "Q30" device include a trackpad?
    This reminds me of the DOS vs Windows arguments. "Why do I have to use this stupid mouse?"
    rthonpm and beamolite like this.
    09-12-13 10:12 AM
    They should add a "virtual" trackpad like the Origami browser for the Playbook.
    For those who don't know about it..it's a translucent square that has the same function as a trackpad (and can be turned off).
    MontoyaOscar84 likes this.
    09-12-13 10:15 AM
    YES ofcourse it should be back. Its my biggest gripe with BB10 and many others would agree. It was the killer feature that differentiated BlackBerry from the rest and made a truly one-handed experience. Also miss the call/end/back/bb hard keys. Unfortunately I don't think any of them will be back.

Theres already a bunch of threads on this topic tho.

Posted via CB10
    kyleheney and LudwigvonKast like this.
    09-12-13 10:15 AM
    The trackpad is essentially an attempt to implement a desktop interface on a mobile device, which is a broken paradigm now. I've had my Q for quite awhile now and not once have I missed the trackpad. When BlackBerry went from the scroll wheel to the trackball I thought it was a great change; when the trackball became a trackpad I thought it was a world of an improvement, now the screen is the input device, but I can still type by touch thanks to a physical keyboard: best thing ever.
    09-12-13 10:19 AM
    YES ofcourse it should be back. Its my biggest gripe with BB10 and many others would agree. It was the killer feature that differentiated BlackBerry from the rest and made a truly one-handed experience. Also miss the call/end/back/bb hard keys. Unfortunately I don't think any of them will be back.

Theres already a bunch of threads on this topic tho.

Posted via CB10
    I realize there are threads on this, but I felt this was a topic that would end up with differing opinions over time, as people used the devices. The people I know have been using the Q10 since launch and have really, honestly tried to adapt. They gave it a chance, liked it, but sorely missed the trackpad.

Oh, and please vote in the poll!

Posted via CB10
    09-12-13 10:24 AM
    No need.

Toronto Maple Leafs Channel C0001D318
    09-12-13 10:36 AM
    I vote "indifferent" mostly because I don't care either way. No one can argue it's easier to edit text with a trackpad than with the touchscreen. However, with the newer enhancements(touch on either side of the cursor and it will move the cursor one character) it isn't as impercise. But, if people are really turning away from the newer phones because of it than it's probably something they should add.

If it's implemented I would bet it won't be hardware based. We will see some software replace the functionality. As someone mentioned: maybe it would be like the Origami Browser on the Playbook with a virtual trackpad. Or, when editing text the entry area takes up all but a small part of the screen and instead of selecting text you scroll like it's a large trackpad?

Another option I can think of that might work is add a touch sensitive area to the back of the phone(similar to the back to the PSVita). When you're editing text it would act like a trackpad. Not sure what else it could do, but I'm sure BlackBerry could think of something!

My final option is to make us of the bottom bezel. When editing text you can swipe back and forth along the bottom to move the selection cursor. This might be the easiest to implement(aside from the on screen trackpad) that would still be elegant and not require something new be added to the phone. Newer models could have the BlackBerry logo on the bottom like the Q5 has and it would make the area much larger without losing screen space.

My original idea was to somehow make the metal frets touch sensitive, but I couldn't figure out how it might work without scrolling all over the place while you're typing. Only thought here would be to maybe touch the screen to bring up the cursor and then the frets would activate?

Anyway, it's obviously a valid issue people have with the Q10(not me personally). The question will be is if it's a large enough issue for BlackBerry to fix. Since you don't need the trackpad for navigating the OS it would really only have the one purpose, which is why I see the likely hood of the trackpad making a physical comeback very unlikely.
    Last edited by breakingpoint0; 09-12-13 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Forgot to finish a thought!
    09-12-13 10:46 AM
    Can't see a trackpad ever returning. Then again I can't even see BBRY releasing another device after the Z30.
    tomsobon likes this.
    09-12-13 10:54 AM
    The Trackpad with OS10 is useless,

i dont understand how people miss the trackpad after a extended period of using the Q10..

after 1week, i didn't even remember what i used the trackpad for
    09-12-13 11:06 AM
    the thing that I miss more from my previus BB its the dock, trackpad is not essential.
    09-12-13 11:24 AM
    I can't imagine using a trackpad on my Q10. It was much better for my 9900. The 9900 had a smaller screen and didn't have an OS designed for touch.The trackpad had its advantages but in reality the vast majority don't need one, hence they all left BlackBerry for other touchscreen platforms. BlackBerry should bring some keyboard shortcuts back maybe but not the trackpad. I'm not going to want one or use it. I'm already used to my Q10. It would be going backwards for me. Really if you can't live without it stick with OS7 devices. If you can adapt to a touchscreen you've opened yourself up to more possibilities. Not just BlackBerry.

But, of course, BlackBerry all the way. Lol.
    09-12-13 11:25 AM
    I would like a trackpad, but it's not my paramount concern. What I do need, however, is a physical end key. Whether that's the power button or the middle sidekey or a dedicated end key on the face of the phone. I need one on the Q15 or whatever it'll be called. If not, I'll be moving to a phone that does, even if that's a basic flipphone.
    09-12-13 11:26 AM
    The next Q phone should be outfitted with an all metal body....at least a 4" screen with more attention paid to it's width. The track pad would be nice with a light around it like the 9860. Finger print scanning would be nice....with blackberry being the leader in security how did they let Apple bet them to this.

With the added width the keyboard would be that much better with more size added to the keys. And please, please add some weight to it...I hate all of these light devices.....I love the weight of the Lumia. Add in a 1080P screen or whatever HD screen will be top by then. That should do it.....
    09-12-13 11:47 AM
    Absolutely! And it should be sold on along with the Q10. After a year, see which one should be kept in the lineup. Money talks, bs walks.
    09-12-13 11:55 AM
    this has been addressed 2billion times in various posts .... but NO....no trackpad...its over
    09-12-13 12:03 PM
    no.

MAYBE on a Y10 or R10 or some other varient, but the Q should keep the same form it already has.

click wheel -> roller ball -> track pad -> swipe/touch

It's almost like people forget the track pad would be an extra component in the phone with a possibility of breaking.
    09-12-13 12:15 PM
    Trackpad is not so important in my opinion, which can be fully replaced by the touch screen ; but keyboard shortcuts really needed, and still appreciate to add two more physical keys for phone call and hook off.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-13 12:21 PM
    I have had my Q10 for 2s hours and have come from a 9900. I have found myself going to use a trackpad but it is less and less now, so after a week, I am sure I won't miss it at all.

I do agree with the comment about it being heavier though as that is what partly drew me to the 9900 as it felt a bit more sturdy. I'm sure I will get used to it though.

Thoroughly enjoying my Q10 experience so far!

Helen
    09-12-13 12:23 PM
    if blackberry ever make another phone after the z30, and I personally would say that is by no means certain, they would do well to put a trackpad back on it, along with hardware keys. I have no doubt that they will not do so, I'm just not sure if that is down to management intransigence or that they will no longer be making phones.
    LudwigvonKast likes this.
    09-12-13 01:21 PM
    if blackberry ever make another phone after the z30, and I personally would say that is by no means certain, they would do well to put a trackpad back on it, along with hardware keys. I have no doubt that they will not do so, I'm just not sure if that is down to management intransigence or that they will no longer be making phones.
    If they should ad a trackpad, why shouldn't they add a roller wheel?
    09-12-13 01:32 PM
    If I could design the keyboard I would put a little nub like the IBM/Lenovo's had in the middle of the " GH VB " keys. It would fit fine because thats where the steel line goes across and they can even round off the corners of the bottom "GH" and top of "VB".

But yes Id like a nub or track pad.

Posted via CB Q-10
    09-12-13 01:37 PM
    If they should ad a trackpad, why shouldn't they add a roller wheel?
    well I didn't suggest it because the thread was asking for opinions - adding a trackpad is just my opinion
    09-12-13 01:38 PM
70 123