While I already own a Z10 (thanks to my big bro MidnightSociety), I can�t help but ponder on what my next device will be since I have an upgrade that I can use with my carrier. Those who know me, know that I�m a die hard BlackBerry user and I�ve been one since 2007. Although I�m not really big on apps, I would love to see some of the big name apps make it to the platform really soon. Blackberry 10 has so much to offer that the consumer does not even know about. This is due to the fact that BlackBerry, in my opinion and many others, has not effectively marketed the device properly. That in itself is another blog worthy subject, but I will spare you all this time.

Here are the specs of the Z30 (name could change, but this is what has been used across other sites as well) compared to the Z10 (source of spec breakdown from Kris of BerryLeaks) :

5″ OLED 1280 x 720 Screen (Z30) vs 4.2″ LCD 1280 x 768 (Z10)
    Dual Core CPU 1.7GHz (Z30) vs Dual Core 1.5GHz (Z10)
    Quad Core GPU (Z30) vs Dual Core GPU (Z10)
    2880mAH Battery Non removable (Z30) vs 1800mAH Battery removable (Z10)
    Both 16GB eMMC
    Both 2GB RAM
    Both HDMI out
    Micro USB A/B out (Z30) vs Micro USB B (Z10)
    Both 8mp Camera
    Both expandable storage via SD Card

To the average consumer, none of this really matters as long as the phone can do what the consumer needs it to do. The spec game has long been a key in some aspects that smartphone companies used to tout superiority over their competitors. While having the latest and greatest hardware is a key component, it is often times not the #1 thing that the average consumer allows to dictate his or her decision on which phone to purchase. One of the driving components in the day and an age is APPS. Yes, APPS! Consumers, especially the younger crowd, want to be able to download the hottest games and applications that their peers are downloading. Apple and Android have been able to build a strong user based because they have the APPS and some unique features.

So what does BlackBerry need to do with the Z30? Well, for starters, they need to have big name developers on board to really push the device and then market the heck out of the device. With 3 Billions dollars and no bank, BlackBerry needs to spend at least 1 Billion dollars and take the risk at marketing BlackBerry Operating System and the actual devices. With effective marketing and big name apps developers behind the platform, I believe that BlackBerry can start gaining back marketshare. The Z10 can be your device aimed at consumers and some business professionals, but the Z30 can be the device to take over the corporate market and even entice some consumers to purchase the device. This will set a cool factor amongst peers and colleagues. The Z30 needs features baked in the OS that makes the device have unique features that you can not have with the Z10, Q10, or Q5. As it stands right now, the Z30 is nothing but a bigger screen Z10. If there is nothing that sets the Z30 apart from previous devices, then BlackBerry will have wasted time and resources. Let�s hope that they have something up their sleeves and that the Z30 will be the must-have device to own. Samsung has done a great job, in my opinion, in setting apart the Samsung Galaxy 4 (S4) compared to the Samsung Note device (Note 3 being the latest). Although the S4 and Note device have similar features, there are some unique features that are only exclusive to those who own the Note device! BlackBerry needs to take note and do something similar. They do not have to copy Samsung, but BlackBerry definitely needs to do something to appeal to the smartphone market. Consumers are itching and desire to have the latest and greatest smartphone and tout having the best device. I believe BlackBerry has a chance to WOW the market if they can somehow convince the masses that a BlackBerry device is worth it!

What do my fellow crackberrians think?

John S.
    phuoc and playpen007 like this.
    09-11-13 10:02 AM
    The Z30 will be launching with 10.2, which means greater Android support. This should probably mean more apps, but most likely Android ports.

Apparently there are a few more 10.2 secrets we don't yet know.
    09-11-13 10:37 AM
    Thanks for responding. I agree that there are a few secrets we don't know yet.
    09-11-13 10:42 AM
    The Z30 will be launching with 10.2, which means greater Android support. This should probably mean more apps, but most likely Android ports.

Apparently there are a few more 10.2 secrets we don't yet know.
    True it would be nice for developers to build native apps but the main thing is to get apps people want and to hike up that app count. With more apps in the store and more of the apps people want developers will then port over more apps as the user base increases and they will also build native apps to take advantage of BB10 features. And if BlackBerry needs to spread some cash around to get some of those big name apps then they should do it and do it yesterday.

Posted via CB10
    felixweber likes this.
    09-11-13 10:58 AM
    BB needs to realize that the consumer views a smartphone, not as a phone so much but as an entertainment center. You are correct, apps are everything and that's coming from a guy that doesn't download.
    09-11-13 11:01 AM
    I totally agreed with you... It must have the best hardware than its competitors to survive.
    09-11-13 11:04 AM
    I think they need an image change and a wow factor. I'm not sure just a wow factor will help if their image stays the same.
    09-11-13 11:05 AM
    BB needs to realize that the consumer views a smartphone, not as a phone so much but as an entertainment center. You are correct, apps are everything and that's coming from a guy that doesn't download.
    I don't download that may apps myself. In fact since I've had my Q10 I don't think I've downloaded more than 12 apps and only paid for 1. But I know people that are heavy gamers and don't like BlackBerry because of the app selection. I also know people who love qwerty keyboards but won't switch because they only use a few key apps that aren't on BlackBerry. It's not just the super big name apps but some things like banking apps for a local bank that people use that can be the difference for a person deciding on which platform to go with.

Posted via CB10
    phuoc and TIMSHULL like this.
    09-11-13 11:13 AM
    I've been saying on other threads. In line with what the OP thinks, I do hope the Z30 has a secret wow factor/feature and/or exclusive apps/games. Thor was excited about this device and so far the leaked/rumored specs and pics are not very telling.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-13 05:53 PM
    I know of two 'new' sweet additions. One relating to call and one relating to BBM. Interesting add-ons. Z30 won't be a leap. That was Blackberry 10.

Now every model is more like a step up. I think the win factor for this apart from the tweaks and more premium feel - will actually be the battery.

Hate the fact it's non removable, but 2880 to power it up - we're easily looking 15-20 hours talktime.
    09-13-13 11:17 PM
    They need some sort of gimmick they advertise the hell out of. The Nokia Lumia has the camera. S4 has the wave to answer and that it pauses when you look away. The iPhone now had the fingerprint scanner. BlackBerry NEEDS something like that. One eye catching and sellable feature.

Posted via CB 10 on my naked Z10
    09-15-13 09:20 AM
    I agree! One probably useless but 'fun' thing that. Will get people taking about...

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 10:55 AM
    If the launch date of Oct from the rumors are true is too late to change production. BB has stated that they want to release 6 new models a year, so for this year I think were at 5 and pretty much done for now. Next year we will see the WOW factors coming out. All manufactures will start upping processors for no reason cept that Apple has a 64 bit chip now.
    09-15-13 11:40 AM
    True it would be nice for developers to build native apps but the main thing is to get apps people want and to hike up that app count. With more apps in the store and more of the apps people want developers will then port over more apps as the user base increases and they will also build native apps to take advantage of BB10 features. And if BlackBerry needs to spread some cash around to get some of those big name apps then they should do it and do it yesterday.

Posted via CB10
    Wow, you are one of the few understanding the value of Android on bb10. Don't get all the negativity about this great strategic move from BlackBerry....

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 11:50 AM
    All the phone needs is apps support . . . if the phone drops the same day a BUNCH of missing popular apps are made available then the phone will do well enough . . . but that's not likely to happen. . . we will see. . .
    09-15-13 11:50 AM
    I agree! One probably useless but 'fun' thing that. Will get people taking about...

Posted via CB10
    What about the keyboard? Think that the thing my gf likes the most about BlackBerry right now..

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 11:51 AM
    BlackBerry needs a marketing scheme, some big feature that is a gimmick but gets the ooh and the awe's out everyone
    That and a heavily improved runtime, I have no problem running android apps as long as the performance is acceptable.
    From what I have heard this new 4.2.2 runtime is suppose to help abit but doesn't totally solve the lag issues, or am I wrong?

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 12:22 PM
    They need some sort of gimmick they advertise the hell out of. The Nokia Lumia has the camera. S4 has the wave to answer and that it pauses when you look away. The iPhone now had the fingerprint scanner. BlackBerry NEEDS something like that. One eye catching and sellable feature.

Nokias gimmick is the camera, BlackBerry10's gimmick is... the Time shift camera... which also belongs to Nokia lol

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 12:28 PM

Actually, what I initially thought was most exciting and was soooooooooo eagerly awaiting is the Cinnamon Toasts that BlackBerry were looking at implementing.

I think that this would gather a LOT of much needed attention from just general reviews and news and general watercooler chatter.

Apparently BlackBerry stopped developing this because it was 'too gimicky'. I personally think that Cinnamon toasts may have 'looked' gimicky, but it is actually enhancing the ease of accessing important information, which is what BlackBerry is all about.

Maybe ofutur knows something about whatt happened to Cinnamon Toasts and if there is any indication in whether it'll be in an upcoming software build.

The BlackBerry Z30 Needs a WOW Factor-blackberry-10-cinnamon-toast.jpg

My Tech-Fleet: Q10; Z10; PlayBook; Surface Pro; Xbox 360; HP TouchPad; iPod Touch 5
    anon(3310921) likes this.
    09-15-13 01:20 PM