BlackBerry's "quoted" Features are:

Do more, every day

BLACKBERRY HUB Peek into the BlackBerry� Hub from any app to see your messages and conversations.
    Learn more BLACKBERRY KEYBOARD Type faster and more accurately on a keyboard that learns how you write.
    Learn more BBM VIDEO WITH SCREEN SHARE Catch up face-to-face and share what’s on your screen.

Learn more BLACKBERRY BALANCE [I]Access your personal email and apps, without compromising your work data and use. [/I]
    Learn more BLACKBERRY REMEMBER Organise in an instant. Group your interests, ideas and projects in one handy location.
    Learn more CAMERA WITH TIME SHIFT MODE Create the perfect shot by moving parts of your picture backwards and forwards in time.
    Learn more INTELLIGENT CALENDAR Create events and meetings effortlessly with a calendar that knows who to invite.
    Learn more SUPER-FAST BROWSING Speed around the web with fast-loading pages and a browser that makes sharing a breeze.
    Learn more Stay worry-free with renowned BlackBerry� security 1.

As we can all see "BlackBerry Balance" is the missing denominator from a complete BlackBerry experience for all BB10 users. IMO this is an important missing link that may have the potential of increasing the BB10 phone sales. The availability of BlackBerry Balance to the consumers, even if it is available in a "limited" format, will definitely set BlackBerry apart from its competitors. To my knowledge, no other phone has the separate "Work and Personal Life" combo.

At present, BlackBerry offers this 'Balance" experience only to companies or businesses that have "BES". So the crucial question is why? Undoubtedly, the "Balance" is one of the most brilliant features on BB10 phones and I can not understand why BlackBerry isn't unleashing this potent experience to all BB10 users.

BlackBerry, given its engineering capabilities, should be able to also offer the "Balance" as an app (with an access code) or "some type of consumer friendly format" on all BB10 phones and then find ways to monetize the service so it is affordable and optional for ALL BB10 consumers; may be charge an annual fee, just like other apps (DocuSign, GoToMeeting, etc).

The "Balance" feature has enormous potentials; mom and pap businesses, self employed people, professionals like doctors, "very small size" law firms and Accountants etc would want to use this feature; provided the price is right. Heck, even individuals who have sensitive "things" would be anxious to use this feature......the possibilities of its (balance feature) use is limitless. Snapchat is doing well, isn't it?

I sincerely hope BlackBerry will not miss the boat on this one, like it almost did on offering BBM across platforms. Like the "old" Workman's Compensation Board commercial said "YOU'VE GOT IT, USE IT".

OOPS!!! Title should state "BLackBery BALANCE for all users could be an essential "killer" X-Factor"
    h20work and Sallem like this.
    09-08-13 01:30 AM
    While I personally wouldn't have any use for Balance, I can really see your point. Quite some people here already were disappointed they could only get Balance with BES. Especially since BBRY didn't really tell the crowd this advertised feature would only come with the BES connection. However very small companies, freelancers or one-man jobs could make use of it, while on the other hand side they don't have a need to get the whole BES thingy.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    wincyUt likes this.
    09-08-13 01:36 AM
    I agree 100000000%. I came from an android background and the one reason, which enticed me to come to try the Blackberry 10 was the Balance concept. But even though it is missing from the unit I had, in the process became hocked to my Blackberry z10. Imagine being able to having my private items secured by let's call it lite or a Personal Balance on my unit. The limits as you have rightly stated are limitless.
    h20work and wincyUt like this.
    09-08-13 01:52 AM
    Yeap, got my new Q10 and I was asking "where is this Balance thing they were promoting". I go online only to find out it is only for Enterprise users. A bit disappointed in that but the rest makes up for it.

Posted via CB10 w/ my Q10
    wincyUt likes this.
    09-08-13 02:13 AM
    I have trouble envisaging BlackBerry Balance outside of a BYOD environment quite frankly.
    Unless of course, the previous posters are seeing the need for a 'Sandboxed' Web facing environment on their device, wherein malicious code wouldn't impact upon device settings or personal data?
    Avoiding Javascript reading the contents of your Clipboard or web servers browsing your file system, is that what you're after?

Z10 via CB 10
    09-08-13 02:37 AM
    BlackBerry "Personal" Balance - for when you want your messages with your girlfriend hidden from your wife. Lol.

But I see the OP's point, and I agree.

Make #IChooseBlackBerry10 trend on twitter!
    09-08-13 02:53 AM
    I was thinking that maybe a bit of space could be set aside for something like 'Sandboxie' where you could trial applications without them impacting upon your system's integrity.
    But yes, "Hell hath no fury, like a woman scorned".

Z10 via CB 10
    09-08-13 05:20 AM
    I have trouble envisaging BlackBerry Balance outside of a BYOD environment quite frankly.
    Unless of course, the previous posters are seeing the need for a 'Sandboxed' Web facing environment on their device, wherein malicious code wouldn't impact upon device settings or personal data?
    Avoiding Javascript reading the contents of your Clipboard or web servers browsing your file system, is that what you're after?

Z10 via CB 10
    You or BlackBerry have to think outside the box. As a Realtor and small business guy, I sincerely have a need to keep my work "dedicated " emails and documents private and safe from any accidental deletion by my pre-teen kids who often want to use my Z10 because it is awesome
    The BlackBerry Balance is feature that a lot of consumers can find "whatever " use for. BBM originally started as a messaging tool for the business types and morphed to the present state where messaging is for all purposes.
    Ironically I thought I was alone with what BlackBerry feature that peeked my interest prior to the BB10 launch; it was the BlackBerry Balance, as another writer here indicated too. You be surprised how people out there think that the BlackBerry Balance is a standard feature.
    I don't know what complexity is entailed in providing such feature for all BB10 users but I honestly think BlackBerry would have nothing to lose doing it. This feature will really set BlackBerry a part. It would be a powerful selling tool; just imagine a sales clerk popping up the "Balance " to show a potential buyer how it works.

Posted via CB10
    h20work likes this.
    09-08-13 07:46 AM
    I can see why BB don't want to offer it, it would have the potential to canabalize BES sales. But the OP is right, and these are desparate times where BYOD is the name of the game. If my work gave me a credit to buy whatever phone I wanted, would I buy 2, one for home and one for work, unlikely. However having a personal Balance would be a game changer in the BYOD market, where Apple and Android are making a killing. The only thing to make this idea better would be Dual SIM slots.
    09-08-13 07:56 AM
    I can see why BB don't want to offer it, it would have the potential to canabalize BES sales. But the OP is right, and these are desparate times where BYOD is the name of the game. If my work gave me a credit to buy whatever phone I wanted, would I buy 2, one for home and one for work, unlikely. However having a personal Balance would be a game changer in the BYOD market, where Apple and Android are making a killing. The only thing to make this idea better would be Dual SIM slots.
    I don't know much about software engineering but my question is why can't BlackBerry make a modified application ,with limited functions, of the "Balance " for mass BlackBerry users, so BES10 user base is not eroded? Why would another SIM slot be needed? Just curious or asking.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 08:26 AM
    Wouldn't having different user accounts accomplish the same thing? Before you hand your phone over, sign out and then they sign in? Seems like it would accomplish the same thing. Can't you already have different user accounts already has not some platforms?
    09-08-13 08:34 AM
    I am not sure how many, if any of you remember a little program called BlackBerry Unite. That was supposed to be a consumer version (stripped down and free) version of BES. It was an unmitigated disaster partially because of the way it was written and partially because users didn't understand the program and didn't read the instructions. There were those of us who literally spent DAYS helping people fix their phones because of that application.

And then there was also the trainwreck known as BlackBerry Connect

The idea of BlackBerry stripping down another enterprise application to make it available to the general consumer gives me a huge sense of dread.
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    09-08-13 08:42 AM
    I think the plan was to have a version of bes in the cloud, similar to Microsoft 365.
    I remember them talking about it and saying it was a year away. Probably about a year ago now that was said. Maybe January, can't remember.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 08:48 AM
    Dual SIM slots would server 2 purposes
    1) if using a "Personal Balance" You could have the home side allocated to a personal SIM and the business side to a Business SIM, thus 2 different phone numbers. You would truly keep your work life and personal life completely separate with no need to carry 2 devices.
    2) the other option is for people who travel to the US, you could have a Roam (or other US SIM) in the phone all the time and it would just start working whenever you cross the border, no need to pull the battery, swap SIM, reboot etc
    h20work likes this.
    09-08-13 08:57 AM
    I agree my company has no plans to implement BES10, but they support EAS for Android and iPhone but you give then the ability to wipe the entire phone, so I won't add that account to my Z10. Having a Balance partition without BES that would allow me to alow IT to only erase that partition would be very nice

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 09:01 AM
    The point as I see it is every fone z10q10 and q5 all boast of balance being available at no point does it say only available to bes users yes we all know this but Joe bloggs doesn't hence its misleading
    wincyUt likes this.
    09-08-13 09:12 AM
    The point as I see it is every fone z10q10 and q5 all boast of balance being available at no point does it say only available to bes users yes we all know this but Joe bloggs doesn't hence its misleading
    100% very well said!!

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 09:28 AM
    I wanted this primarily so I could use my phone to schedule work appointments that are confidential and wouldn't appear in tandem with my personal calendar.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 09:57 AM
    You or BlackBerry have to think outside the box. As a Realtor and small business guy, I sincerely have a need to keep my work "dedicated " emails and documents private and safe from any accidental deletion by my pre-teen kids who often want to use my Z10 because it is awesome
    The BlackBerry Balance is feature that a lot of consumers can find "whatever " use for. BBM originally started as a messaging tool for the business types and morphed to the present state where messaging is for all purposes.
    Ironically I thought I was alone with what BlackBerry feature that peeked my interest prior to the BB10 launch; it was the BlackBerry Balance, as another writer here indicated too. You be surprised how people out there think that the BlackBerry Balance is a standard feature.
    I don't know what complexity is entailed in providing such feature for all BB10 users but I honestly think BlackBerry would have nothing to lose doing it. This feature will really set BlackBerry a part. It would be a powerful selling tool; just imagine a sales clerk popping up the "Balance " to show a potential buyer how it works.

Posted via CB10
    Curious, as you said you're a small business type person, you have BES on your Z10, and subscribe to a business type service plan from your carrier?
    My question, what or who enables the Balance option on the phone?
    My mom has a Z10, she runs the local office of a smaller business, and has a business type service data voice plan from the phone carrier. But I noticed she doesn't have Balance on the phone, or I just can't find it? Even tho I would have thought she has BES (she had it on her previous legacy BlackBerry), and she runs work emails, and yes one address via work server onto her Z10?
    Is there some sort of non-Balance version of BES?

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 11:22 AM
    Curious, as you said you're a small business type person, you have BES on your Z10, and subscribe to a business type service plan from your carrier?
    My question, what or who enables the Balance option on the phone?
    My mom has a Z10, she runs the local office of a smaller business, and has a business type service data voice plan from the phone carrier. But I noticed she doesn't have Balance on the phone, or I just can't find it? Even tho I would have thought she has BES (she had it on her previous legacy BlackBerry), and she runs work emails, and yes one address via work server onto her Z10?
    Is there some sort of non-Balance version of BES?

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately I don't have the "Balance " and it's
    not cost feasible to have BES10. However I would love to have the Balance feature, even if it has some limitations when compared to the Balance running on BES10. I'm prepared to pay an economical subscription fees for the service, just as I do with GoToMeeting.
    I hope BlackBerry evolves with this brilliant feature and does not let history repeat itself.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 01:32 PM
    I too thought this would be available to everyone at launch. I was looking forward to the feature. It hasn't been that big of a deal not having it but from a marketing standpoint it would help.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 02:10 PM