I admit I am VERY new to this Blackberry Playbook modding. I normally work with Android, so anything I see that seems useful I bring to your guys attention. Recently, I tried plugging in my BlackBerry Playbook into my older LUbuntu based computer. It didnt have drivers, which was to be expected. So, I connected to its USB IP and got a little more than I expected. I can see the entirety of the OS files, even those that are denied access via the in-device browser. All folders and files can be seen and even opened. I assume that these are all read-only, so nothing can be over-written. But perhaps something in these files houses valuable information? Since I am clueless to this device, I will simply state how I got where I got.

In the blackberry playbook settings, I chose to connect via Windows PC mode. This bypassed the driver installation screen and hopped directly to "connected to PC" screen. I then went to about->network and got the USB IPv4. I then connected to that IP via my file browser. It was that easy, which makes me feel it is completely useless. But on the off chance that it actually is helpful, im posting it here. Im unfortunatly selling my device, and was only connecting it to grab the files off of it. I hope it helps you guys out, it would be great to see this device take off!
    09-05-13 05:31 PM
    I'm relatively certain that what you saw are files that are accessible over SSH anyway, and also using Android file browsers. Unfortunately, nothing useful has been found despite this sort of access being possible for a considerable period of time.
    09-05-13 05:57 PM
    I'm pretty sure it's not interesting, you can already access those files over SSH as SifJar said.
    09-06-13 04:36 AM
    I... got a little more than I expected. I can see the entirety of the OS files, even those that are denied access via the in-device browser. All folders and files can be seen and even opened.
    Before completely brushing you off, I'm prepared to take what you say at face value. So why don't you take a few screenshots (vol+/vol- together) and post them here so the community can have a look and make an educated decision based on what they see, rather than just flipping you the bird.
    El Bori likes this.
    10-29-13 06:24 AM
    Before completely brushing you off, I'm prepared to take what you say at face value. So why don't you take a few screenshots (vol+/vol- together) and post them here so the community can have a look and make an educated decision based on what they see, rather than just flipping you the bird.
    He is accessing the files via his PC, so taking a screenshot on the PB would show you nothing. It would show you his home screen. Or whatever apps he may have open at the time.

And no one is "brushing him off", I simply explained that what he saw is nothing special or useful, and is easily achieved via a number of routes.

Finally, this thread is over 5 months old, with one equally useless bump 4 months ago (essentially just agreeing with me, when no one had disagreed or questioned what I said at all).
    10-29-13 12:18 PM
    Oh ok,it was near the top of the threads so thats why I replied. And my bad for not realising it was his pc he was talking about. Consider my hide well and truly tanned.
    10-30-13 07:01 PM
    You can screen shot from your pc....

Posted via the Super BlackBerry Z10
    11-29-13 01:28 PM
    Can you access the Playbook as a block device?

Like /dev/sdb or /dev/disk/by-uuid

I answered a post asking about an Acronis style backup a few minutes ago. Conclusion was, not possible.

I usually grab dd or ddrescue and clone the whole disk or block device (Linux commandline).

What output do you get with when you do an

fdisk -l

(fdisk minus L lowercase for list partitions/block devices)

"No Q10?" -> "Buy from Chen... "
    03-09-14 05:58 PM