Samsung is about to release their watch, which brings smartphone to your wrists. I personally believe it is a ridiculous idea that should be mocked and will only be for tech geeks. I can't see how this will gain popularity among the average joe.

I think Google glasses is way more interesting and will gain traction.

I can't see the watch going far though. Anyone else agree/disagree?

Posted via CB10
    09-04-13 11:57 AM
    Samsung is about to release their watch, which brings smartphone to your wrists. I personally believe it is a ridiculous idea that should be mocked and will only be for tech geeks. I can't see how this will gain popularity among the average joe.

Posted via CB10
    Too bulky.

I like the Pebble better.
    Rowan M likes this.
    09-04-13 12:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    I can see a watch that connects to your phone.... for tech geeks. would I want one, think it was cool? Sure. Would I ever spend any money on one. No. Honestly, we're so attached to our phones anymore, I don't see the point in having a watch. Don't see how having a shrunken, not as full featured version on your wrist would be any more convenient that your phone in your pocket. I do think they would sell better that Google Glasses though. Even if cost was not an issue, I just do not see something like Google Glasses ever becoming common place. I could never imagine using those.

Posted via CB10
    nquyen likes this.
    09-04-13 12:02 PM
    I don't see much of a use for a watch like that. A touch screen on something that small? Why bother?
    But then again, when the ipad came out, I thought it was silly too...
    Sent from my PadFone Infinity using CB Forums mobile app
    09-04-13 12:03 PM
    10 hour on screen time = DOA

I'm not interested in charging my watch daily.

I think Apple's watch, if the rumors are true, will be the game changer.
    bekkay and mikeo007 like this.
    09-04-13 12:06 PM
    I also think apple will be the only one to get this right to where people will actually buy it. They generally do. Its not for me and it wont be for most. This is going to be a niche thing for a while.
    ankush77, bekkay, eldricho and 3 others like this.
    09-04-13 12:10 PM
    I can see utility in having nfc payment capability in a watch (or nfc door unlocking), but I can imagine it would be easy for the unscrupulous to brush by and take your money.

Posted via CB10
    SteveBB10 likes this.
    09-04-13 12:12 PM
    You may be right. I think though other companies must at least have one in the pipe line also. Thinking it won't gain traction could be short sighted. Remember the iphone was dismissed by BB.
    09-04-13 12:16 PM
    I can see utility in having nfc payment capability in a watch (or nfc door unlocking), but I can imagine it would be easy for the unscrupulous to brush by and take your money.

Posted via CB10
    That would be pretty neat.

Support your local paramedics run with scissors.
    09-04-13 12:31 PM
    I also think apple will be the only one to get this right to where people will actually buy it. They generally do. Its not for me and it wont be for most. This is going to be a niche thing for a while.
    I have to disagree. I think Steve Jobs had a proven record of implementing new products well. Tim Cook has botched new releases so far - delayed Apple Tv, the maps application being a disaster. Their phones haven't introduced anything spectacular that Cook came up with himself.

They're still milking Job's brilliant ideas. I am skeptical about the watch being successfully implemented.

Posted via CB10
    bradu1 likes this.
    09-04-13 12:51 PM
    Wait, this isn't just a second display for the phones?

Kinda stupid then.

Posted via CB10
    ankush77 likes this.
    09-04-13 12:51 PM
    Not impressed.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-13 12:54 PM
    The watch looks cool but not sure if it will catch on, also only for samsung devices
    09-04-13 12:57 PM
    I agree. Smartwatches from pebble, sony and samsung seem exactly what we expect them to be. I would like to think that apple will show us something entirely different than what we think a smart watch should be.

will see.. maybe.
    09-04-13 01:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    It's even more hilarious that you think Google Glass will gain more traction than the Gear. This is Samsung, after all. They'll sell loads of these.
    It all depends on the price, but I'm sure they won't go crazy with the pricing. They aren't BlackBerry
    kfh227 likes this.
    09-04-13 01:06 PM
    The problem with google glass is that people that currently need to wear glasses (like myself) would look even dorkier wear two sets of glasses at the same time! Galaxy gear, looks just like an overgrown watch.
    21stNow likes this.
    09-04-13 01:11 PM
    I remember when people -- self included -- absolutely mocked the incredibly stupid idea of a PDA that had telephony capabilities. Who in their right mind would not keep both functions separate?

We were right, were't we? LOL.

I'm not sold on smartwatches yet, even though I have seen some really cool uses for them. I'd rock one. For me, it's kinda like Google Glass and tablets. I wouldn't go out of my way to procure one, but would enjoy one if it fell into my lap.

Anyhoo, I've learned not to mock new things. I also agree that it will probably take an Apple implementation for it to cacth on.
    shads77, anon(5624621) and bekkay like this.
    09-04-13 01:11 PM
    The problem with google glass is that people that currently need to wear glasses (like myself) would look even dorkier wear two sets of glasses at the same time! Galaxy gear, looks just like an overgrown watch.
    There is a hack that allows you to use prescription glasses IIRC, and I believe a prescription patent has already been applied for.
    09-04-13 01:13 PM
    the watch concept is boring ,don't see it as future technology but Google glasses ,the possibility may be a better and bright
    09-04-13 01:24 PM
    google wants their own zone,bb we should have our own but reality bites???????
    09-04-13 01:26 PM
    I had a smart watch back in the early 90's. It was the Timex DataLink. It worked great for what I needed. Since I always have my phone with me now, there's no need to have both.

Samsung Shows off its new Smartwatch-download.jpg
    09-04-13 01:53 PM
    I'm test driving a Pebble smartwatch right now. First off, I don't think it will be successful in the market because it is bulky and looks ugly on your wrist. That being said, I am finding it quite useful.

1. If you find Peek useful, the notifications showing up on the watch is a super Peek. Now I only bring out the phone when I need to actually respond to a notification. Most of the time I can glance at my wrist and I'm done.

2. There are four actions you can map to the buttons on the phone. I have mine set to these four: see my next calendar appointment, check the weather, show selected stock prices, and quick SMS responses.

3. Visibility. The e-ink display is visible in bright sunlight. So I can see texts or emails come in while driving by simply glancing at my wrist. The other advantage of e-ink is that the watch only needs recharging about once a week.

4. Convenience. I have an app called Pebble unlocker. As long as my phone is in bluetooth range of the watch, the lock screen is disabled. I pull out the phone and just start using it. If I leave my phone somewhere, once I wander out of range, the phone will lock itself. This has saved me tons of time.

The uses are extendable because of you can download apps on the phone. Some people have it configured so that you can fire off a Tasker activity on the phone. For example, use the watch to click the camera shutter. Use the watch to trigger voice command.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    09-04-13 01:57 PM
    10 hour on screen time = DOA

I'm not interested in charging my watch daily.

I think Apple's watch, if the rumors are true, will be the game changer.
    The 10 hours you posted was a rumor before its release, Samsung has said it last around 25 hours.
    09-04-13 02:03 PM
    I'm test driving a Pebble smartwatch right now. First off, I don't think it will be successful in the market because it is bulky and looks ugly on your wrist. That being said, I am finding it quite useful.

1. If you find Peek useful, the notifications showing up on the watch is a super Peek. Now I only bring out the phone when I need to actually respond to a notification. Most of the time I can glance at my wrist and I'm done.

2. There are four actions you can map to the buttons on the phone. I have mine set to these four: see my next calendar appointment, check the weather, show selected stock prices, and quick SMS responses.

3. Visibility. The e-ink display is visible in bright sunlight. So I can see texts or emails come in while driving by simply glancing at my wrist. The other advantage of e-ink is that the watch only needs recharging about once a week.

4. Convenience. I have an app called Pebble unlocker. As long as my phone is in bluetooth range of the watch, the lock screen is disabled. I pull out the phone and just start using it. If I leave my phone somewhere, once I wander out of range, the phone will lock itself. This has saved me tons of time.

The uses are extendable because of you can download apps on the phone. Some people have it configured so that you can fire off a Tasker activity on the phone. For example, use the watch to click the camera shutter. Use the watch to trigger voice command.
    Good stuff. Tasker opens up the door to using it with lights, garage doors etc.

09-04-13 02:05 PM
    I think smart watches will take off, but not in the proprietary way. I think you'll start seeing regular watch companies incorporate blue tooth and NFC to be used with any phone. Proprietary will make these things very limited with where they can be sold.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-13 02:15 PM
50 12