Look no further...

(Obviously if you don't have a Playbook, this is still a steal!)

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/04/barnes-noble-nook-tablet-price-slash/

It's the Nook HD(7 inches) and HD+(8 inches) tablets for right above and right below 150$

Both of them feature a slightly upgraded version of the CPU that the Playbook has, and a waaay better than the Playbook HD screen: (1440*900 or 1920*1280)

They come with a pretty solid Nook ecosystem, and obviously full access to Android apps.

It's a STEAL at 150$ and heck, I'm thinking of getting one to supplement my iPad mini...
    09-04-13 07:51 AM
    Why wouldn't we get the full Android experience on a Nexus 7 or HiSense? And are you sure the Nook has full access to the market? My mom's does not, BUT she has an older model.
    09-04-13 12:33 PM
    Nook will disappear next year so either one you will end up with no support

Posted via CB10
    09-04-13 12:41 PM
    There is no Playbook replacement! At least in my book...
    09-04-13 12:49 PM
    love my nook HD+ with full play store access. Screen is very nice and its fairly cheap. I like having the screen slightly bigger than the Nexus 7
    09-04-13 12:57 PM
    Why wouldn't we get the full Android experience on a Nexus 7 or HiSense? And are you sure the Nook has full access to the market? My mom's does not, BUT she has an older model.
    Dunno about the US, but in the UK, the Nexus 7 is twice the price of the Nook HD 7" (both 16GB models). [Nook HD is now �99 for 16GB, Nexus 7 is �199]. The HiSense is certainly closer at about �140 (32GB, couldn't see a 16GB model?), but still more expensive than the Nook.

The Nook HD and HD+ received an update earlier this year giving them access to the Google Play Store (it hasn't been called the "market" for a few years now), so yes, they do indeed have full access to the market.

Also of note; both the Nook HD and HD+ are now supported by CyanogenMod. Neither have received stable builds yet, but both are receiving nightly builds of CM10.2 (based on Android 4.3, the latest version of Android). In other words, these tablets can certainly get the "full Android experience" if you so wish.

Also, Nexus 7 doesn't take micro SD cards, dunno about the HiSense. The Nook tablets do. (i.e. you can expand the memory cheaply and easily, and get greater capacities than are possible on the Nexus 7)

[This also covers boss_hog's point about no support; there's still support in the form of CM - there are probably also other custom ROMs out there. I'd say these devices will see at least a few "official" revisions of CM, and probably still receive unofficial ports and support from various developers after that as well. Especially with the price drop; that'll probably attract a few potential devs to the device].

In short, looks like a rather fine purchase, certainly a worthy replacement for a PlayBook IMO.
    09-04-13 01:00 PM
    get a nexus 7 and forget about your troubles
    09-04-13 01:06 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Nook HD has no camera, no GPS, and needs a $40 adapter to send HDMI out.
    09-04-13 01:37 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Nook HD has no camera, no GPS, and needs a $40 adapter to send HDMI out.
    Taking pictures with a tablet it ridiculous anyway. Most people probably have a phone with GPS. As for HDMI out; it looks like that is indeed the case, which is a little steep, but not everyone will need that feature. Even if they do, it's still going to end up cheaper than a Nexus 7. (Not saying it's better than a Nexus 7; it has a worse processor etc. - my only real focus here is usability at a low price).

EDIT: To be perfectly clear; if you can spare the extra cash, you are probably better to go for the Nexus 7 due to the superior specs and features. But the Nook HD should certainly suffice for many use cases (e.g. reading eBooks, browsing internet, checking emails, social networks, videos & music [local and online] etc.) if you're on a tighter budget or simply don't wish to pay for features you won't use (e.g. camera, GPS, HDMI out)
    09-04-13 02:42 PM
    Taking pictures with a tablet it ridiculous anyway. Most people probably have a phone with GPS. As for HDMI out; it looks like that is indeed the case, which is a little steep, but not everyone will need that feature. Even if they do, it's still going to end up cheaper than a Nexus 7. (Not saying it's better than a Nexus 7; it has a worse processor etc. - my only real focus here is usability at a low price).

EDIT: To be perfectly clear; if you can spare the extra cash, you are probably better to go for the Nexus 7 due to the superior specs and features. But the Nook HD should certainly suffice for many use cases (e.g. reading eBooks, browsing internet, checking emails, social networks, videos & music [local and online] etc.) if you're on a tighter budget or simply don't wish to pay for features you won't use (e.g. camera, GPS, HDMI out)
    The Nook HD+ which is a 9" Tablet can provide a different reading experience compared to a 7" Tablet with about 65% more screen area. True the nook HD+ requires a proprietary HDMI connection which lists for $40 and has no cameras or GPS. It is more comparable to the current Kindle HD 9". End result: The Nooks are tablets worthy of consideration but if you want to pay more to get latest technology or different features or access to a different ecosystem so do as stated above.
    09-04-13 03:21 PM
    Taking pictures with a tablet it ridiculous anyway. Most people probably have a phone with GPS.
    Count me as one who is not in the most people group. I have an old fashioned (at this point) flip phone. It has no GPS, and while it has a camera, my Playbooks camera is infinitely better. And while I have a digital camera with optical zoom that can take higher resolution pics than my PB, its video capabilities don't compare with my PB's, plus I'm much less likely to actually have it with me when I'm out and about. I'm just saying, that for me, the Nook is not a PB replacement.
    KittyBomb likes this.
    09-04-13 03:34 PM
    If I buy a new tablet, in the near future, it could very well be the new Toshiba Encore, just announced. Windows 8.1, quad core, 32GB, hdmi, micro SD. Around $399. Perfect matchup for my desktop and Windows phone.
    09-05-13 09:49 AM
    Have a Nook HD+ with Cyanogenmod instead of the stock OS.

It's pretty good for the cash (though not particularly quick with its OMAP 4470).

Lovely screen, mind.

Posted via CB10
    howarmat likes this.
    09-05-13 11:12 AM