Let me open discussion about Q10/Q5.
    I think that main problem of Q is bad keyboard integration.
    Lack of true speed dial, lack of really good shortcuts.
    I really like typing keyboard instead of touching glass.
    (Touch input was always very inconvenient for me. Never used BB phones until Q5. Was really long with various Nokia phones and last year with HTC Android.)

I think BB10 should make instant search optional, instead launch search by shortcut. In this case may useful shortcuts can be used instantly.
    flyingsolid likes this.
    09-04-13 05:04 AM
    (Touch input was always very inconvenient for me. Never used BB phones until Q5. Was really long with various Nokia phones and last year with HTC Android.)

I think BB10 should make instant search optional, instead launch search by shortcut. In this case may useful shortcuts can be used instantly.
    Look towards added functionalities through OS updates. There have been some welcome additions, such as a big one for me, multiple alarms. OSs mature over time, and BB10 will too.
    09-04-13 06:11 AM

I agree with this 100%. However, the CEO himself has said that touch screen comes first. The keyboard is an afterthought to them.

I believe that it will take them another 2 years to add in all the keyboard shortcuts that existed on their OS they released over 3 years ago...

It's incredibly frustrating.

Posted via CB10
    jose.antonio and sharepoint like this.
    09-04-13 06:44 AM
    I agree with this 100%. However, the CEO himself has said that touch screen comes first. The keyboard is an afterthought to them.

I believe that it will take them another 2 years to add in all the keyboard shortcuts that existed on their OS they released over 3 years ago...

It's incredibly frustrating.

Posted via CB10
    I completely agree that the lack of keyboard shortcuts and the missed optimization for a keyboard device is something that is bringing the Q10 down, in my opinion. Being forced to use quick search is a little bothersome. What confuses me is why there is a touchscreen dialpad if there is a keyboard dialer. Hopefully though these types of nuances be address in future updates.

Posted via keyboard bearing Q10
    09-04-13 07:46 AM
    Its not bad, its just that you're not used to the new system. Once you get used to it, it wont matter. Nothing is forever.

Sent from a BlackBerry Q10
    09-04-13 07:52 AM
    Its not bad, its just that you're not used to the new system. Once you get used to it, it wont matter. Nothing is forever.

Its a question what is more convenient to me, as BB10 Q5 user. I'm understanding that you can adopt the way its done today. But, I really like to rely on keyboard more than touch screen. I like the touch interface for other things, especially BB10 navigation (HUB peek...).
    09-04-13 08:22 AM
    Look towards added functionalities through OS updates. There have been some welcome additions, such as a big one for me, multiple alarms. OSs mature over time, and BB10 will too.
    your OS has the functionality of multiple alarms? my Q10 sure doesnt, I had to buy an app for that very purpose
    09-04-13 12:47 PM
    your OS has the functionality of multiple alarms? my Q10 sure doesnt, I had to buy an app for that very purpose
    Yes, it's in Z, 10.2.0.1047 or higher.

Attachment 198528
    09-04-13 12:52 PM
    Yes, it's in 10.2.0.1047 or higher.

Attachment 198528
    Im running 10.1.0.4181 , thats the newest version from my carrier , so I guess I shall wait
    09-04-13 12:58 PM

The new system is SLOWER. I wrote another thread on this. But it's physically impossible to be faster with a q10 than a bb7 phone.

BlackBerry needs to step up their keyboard shortcuts.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 08:43 AM
    And as far an universal search...make it optional, or triggered by pressing the s key...kind of like how bb7 worked. you could trigger different apps or functions by hitting a key.

Hitting the s key for universal search is not that bad, if it allowed hotkeys, considering it would finally get bb10 to the level of their three year old legacy os. Bb10 is nice beta software, but definitely not as efficient as bb7.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 08:46 AM
    wait, I need to get one thing clear since it might be a deal breaker for me. On Q10 I cant just start typing someone's name and call it from there?
    09-07-13 08:57 AM
    You prefix the contact name with either 'call' or 'dial' and choose the desired number (if there are several mapped to that contact). If only one number is mapped to the desired contact, that number is dialed immediately. Unfortunately, universal search fails to leverage first letter and second letter type of searches which only seem to work in the Contacts app.
    09-07-13 10:26 AM
    Yes, it is sad the true speed dial has been made an afterthought and home screen shortcuts have not been enabled. Just hit 'S' to perform a universal search. The more I dwell upon it, the more I realize how unproductive the internal productivity team at BBRY must be when using the Q10...
    09-07-13 10:31 AM
    I like the search. Shortcuts would be cool but I can just start typing what I want and the search is fast and easy so I'm just getting used to it. Sprint finally let me get mine haha

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 01:59 PM
    You can just type the persons name and see contact info, previous texts/facebook and all that stuff.. at least that's what happens on mine

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 02:00 PM
    BB10 is an entirely new direction vs. BB7 and there are wrinkles to be ironed out. Many of these features that did not make it from BB7 to BB10 will indeed come back, but nobody else has them because nobody else has a keyboard like BlackBerry. Sure, other companies make models with physical keyboards, but they're nothing like BlackBerrys. We are being pushed to re-invent how we use our mobiles and that rubs a lot of BlackBerry traditionalists the wrong way. But we'll get back a lot of those efficiency features as the OS matures and as BlackBerry hears our feedback. Patience, young Padawan learners. Patience.
    09-07-13 02:13 PM
    wait, I need to get one thing clear since it might be a deal breaker for me. On Q10 I cant just start typing someone's name and call it from there?
    Yes you can, if you want to direct call someone from the main screen you just type, call dave, then click enter and it calls, if you just type in dave it will bring up the contact, you can also do text dave or email dave as well direct from the homescreen.

Sent From Q10/HTC One
    09-07-13 02:53 PM
    I agree there are certain things like keyboard quick dialing that are lacking but there are other aspects that make up for it in small ways. The updates to the OS are ongoing and don't let the 'Sale' scare you. It won't change anything. The OS is nothing like OS7 for very good reasons and I would gladly do an extra swipe and tap to quick dial a contact then have to deal with the crap of OS7.
    09-07-13 03:59 PM
    I agree there are certain things like keyboard quick dialing that are lacking but there are other aspects that make up for it in small ways. The updates to the OS are ongoing and don't let the 'Sale' scare you. It won't change anything. The OS is nothing like OS7 for very good reasons and I would gladly do an extra swipe and tap to quick dial a contact then have to deal with the crap of OS7.
    This is where I disagree with you. I'd rather move to Android than deal with BB10 and bb7. Bb10 doesn't have anything unique vs the other guys now.

And I'd pick bb7 over bb10 if given the choice again.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 07:44 PM
    It does seem that BB 10 OS's defining feature is the hub. There really isn't anything else unique in the software. There are people who will live in the hub and for them BB 10 OS would be ideal. For those folks the Q phones are the perfect match.

There are a whole bunch of other people who will see no unique value in the hub. I'm not sure what would drive them to BB 10 OS.
    09-09-13 09:44 PM
    This is where I disagree with you. I'd rather move to Android than deal with BB10 and bb7. Bb10 doesn't have anything unique vs the other guys now.

Posted via CB10
    x2. I need to reconsider the situation again as the 9900 keyboard is dying. Unfortunately, it appears BB hasn't updated the OS10 software enough to bring back the keyboard shortcuts yet.

This means I should repair the 9900 than to migrate to a Q10 or Q5.

If Android had a physical keyboard phone, I'll definitely give it a shot!
    09-09-13 10:08 PM
    If these suggestions are indeed good and are what the users desired, BlackBerry will make it happen. That is the beauty of BlackBerry 10 OS. BlackBerry controls the OS and controls the hardware. So they can keep OS upgrades for exiting devices unlike Android crap.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 10:26 PM
    I agree with the OP, I think BlackBerry 10 doesn't make full use of the physical keyboard on Q series devices.

How about universal search remain as it is by just typing. Then allows actions to be programmed to the keyboard, activated via a long press. You can assign actions such as speeddial, launching apps, creating a new message, toggle settings, etc?

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 12:56 AM

Posted via CB10
    Not only do I agree with you I put my money where my mouth (fingers) is. I dumped my new Q10 and bought a new Bold 9930. What a joy to have a fully funtional phone again. And for the snobs out there my first BlackBerry the pearl was more advanced than (os wise) OS10.

For those of you who need a real phone I encourge you to reactivate your old phone or buy a brand new one. There are really good prices out there. I got my new Bold 9930 for $225. Refurbished ones are even cheaper. In a few years OS10 might catch up, if BlackBerry survives. Its also great having my playbook back again.

I do disaree with you about Android though. Had two of them and even BBOS 7 runs circles around them.
    09-10-13 01:31 AM
26 12