I've had a BB Style (flip phone) for about five years and like it very much. The only problem I've ever had with it is that sometimes calls don't ring. I like that it's small and I like the flip cover, which prevents b-u-double-t dialing. Before that I had a BB Pearl, but I like the Style better.

I use my phone for texting, email, taking pictures, and yeah, making phone calls. I back it up religiously and have saved hundreds of text messages that I want to keep. I don't keep emails, but I also don't want them deleted from the server. I do that manually from my computer. I don't use Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, any other social media apps, or any games on the phone or on my computer. I don't have any music on my phone at all. I only use two apps, a weather app, and BB Traffic to give me travel times to my regular destinations. I carry my kindlefire with me and use that for reading, watching videos (rarely), and doing anything on the internet. (I'm a simple woman.)

So...maybe the Q10 is too much smartphone for me. What do y'all think?

What other BBs use OS10? What might be a better fit for me, phonewise-speaking? Thx.
    09-01-13 07:09 PM
    well there is no BB traffic. You have Blackberry maps that will have to work. A 9900 might also be something to look at if you arent quite satisfied with the q10 and BB10.
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    09-01-13 07:26 PM
    I've had a BB Style (flip phone) for about five years and like it very much. The only problem I've ever had with it is that sometimes calls don't ring. I like that it's small and I like the flip cover, which prevents b-u-double-t dialing. Before that I had a BB Pearl, but I like the Style better.

I use my phone for texting, email, taking pictures, and yeah, making phone calls. I back it up religiously and have saved hundreds of text messages that I want to keep. I don't keep emails, but I also don't want them deleted from the server. I do that manually from my computer. I don't use Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, any other social media apps, or any games on the phone or on my computer. I don't have any music on my phone at all. I only use two apps, a weather app, and BB Traffic to give me travel times to my regular destinations. I carry my kindlefire with me and use that for reading, watching videos (rarely), and doing anything on the internet. (I'm a simple woman.)

What other BBs use OS10? What might be a better fit for me, phonewise-speaking? Thx.
    Well there is the Q5 which is essentially a toned down q10, if you use the camera a fair amount you might not enjoy the Q5's 5 megapixel shooter. On a positive note the q5 is cheaper off contract and for most cases on contract. It will fulfil your needs and then some (hopefully). If you can try out Q10, Q5 and the full touchscreen Z10 and decide which one best suits your needs and price. TIP: Z10s are selling fairly cheap on craigslist and kijiji, and are great pieces of hardware
    09-01-13 07:29 PM
    Thanks, y'all for the comments. The price really isn't an issue. I'm thinking I might be buying a 747, when what I need is a little Cessna, kwim?

Also I'm with Sprint, and their inventory of BBs is limited. They have the Q10, the Curve 8530, and the Bold 9930.
    09-01-13 07:50 PM
    You can find Sprint BB9650 models out there used for $100 or less. I've been trying to sell one for a while as I'm no longer with Sprint. While I believe the 9930 was the best BlackBerry made (up to the BB10 devices), it was larger than the 9650. It really all depends on your personal taste.
    09-01-13 08:02 PM
    I loved my Style! But I would encourage you to go for the Q10. There will be an initial learning curve period and you'll get frustrated while getting used to it, but within 2 weeks you'll freakin' love it! Go for it!

Posted via CB10
    moody and anon(4086547) like this.
    09-01-13 08:42 PM
    BB10 is the future. Yes, BlackBerry is still supporting BB7 and even released a new BB7 device - The 9720: BlackBerry 9720 - Full phone specifications

I love my Q10. In fact, I love it so much I decided to try a Z10 as well for comparison.
    09-02-13 08:37 AM
    Definitely go with the Q10. The new OS is great and you don't have to use anything you don't want to. I use BlackBerry maps all the time and occasionally a sideloaded Google Maps. Good luck! The Q10 is awesome.

Posted via Q10
    09-02-13 09:18 AM
    You should still get the Q10 . Some of todays cars are wired and sensored like the space shuttle. Doesnt make them a space shuttle, they are still just cars.
    09-02-13 09:20 AM
    Try the Q10 worst case in 14 days you can exchange it for a legacy BlackBerry but my guess is you won't.

CB10- BlackBerry Z10 - 10.2.0.1047
    09-02-13 09:31 AM
    Maybe you should get a feature phone?
    09-02-13 09:34 AM
    You had me at "I am a simple woman".............A few months ago I bought a new-in-box Style because I liked the phone so much. I'm not against going back in time to simple pleasures once in a while. Just keep in mind that the Q10 and BB10 is totally different from your Style and BB6. If you are expecting typical BB on the Q10 you will be disappointed. If you go into it knowing it will be a new experience with a learning curve, you may like it. Many complain about the lack of this and that on BB10 because they were expecting their old BB experience with a flare but that is not the case. As others have suggested, you may be better off with a BB7/Legacy device like the 9930 since it is similar to what you are accustomed to using. Personally, I have not found a good reason to use BB10. My 9930 does everything you claim you do with your Style only a little faster, slicker and with a touch screen.
    Legal Eagle and phuoc like this.
    09-02-13 09:51 AM

Based upon your needs and the fact that you love your "Style", I would not recommend upgrading to Q10. I stil have my Style (on Page Plus/Verizon) active. I also have the BB9900 and BB9930 active on TMO postpaid. The last two are great phones. I then bought both the Z10 (love it due to the big screen) and the Q10 (hate it compared to the BB9900 or 9930. I will save the Q10 for future whatever.. My daily drivers are the Z10 and BB9900 (alternated with BB9930). I get bored with my phones once in a while and go back to the "Style" and I like that I can close the cover over the keys and screen. I have my Style on Page Plus which runs on the Verizon lines. But again, I would recommend you sticking with your Style. Of course you will make the final descision. Why not try the Q10 for example for about a week to see if you like it?
    09-02-13 10:50 AM
    Go q10

Posted via CB10
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    09-02-13 11:59 AM
    The 9930 is more basic than the Q10, but it's also two years old. The Q10 in general is a better device. I had the T-Mobile variant of the Bold 9930, and when I switched to BlackBerry 10, it took me a couple days to really get used to the gestures. But after I got used to them, I couldn't imagine going back to an OS7 device, like my Bold or my Torch.

If all you use your phone for is calling, texting, weather and traffic, the Q10 will be more than enough. The stock weather app is great, but BeWeather Pro is like a work of art. It's $4.99, but it's well worth it. Like someone else said, BlackBerry Traffic isn't available, but BlackBerry Maps does the same thing but shows you better visuals, and comes preloaded.

You might not use your phone for many things, but the Q10 allows you to leave the door open in case you ever do want to use your phone for more. And I think on Sprint, it's only $99 on a two year contract. It doesn't get much better than that.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-13 12:30 PM
    I have both. The Style I picked up with Sprint just 2 years ago and the Q10 with Verizon just 2 months ago. Loved the Style and while we are similar(text,talk,email and no social apps), I would recommend the Q. Spend an hour in a Sprint store working the Q doing what you do with the Style, then decide. Its what I did, total upgrade. Going with the 9900 bbos7 series would be a lateral movement from the bbos6.
    09-02-13 12:31 PM
    I'd say the Q10 would be worth it if for nothing else, the battery life. I'm a heavy user, (4hrs talk, 2 hours+ browsing, fb, text, e-mail all day) and I get about 36 hours on a full charge.. My Bold 9900 struggled to reach 1 day with light use and closing every app when I was through with it.
    09-02-13 01:09 PM
    For your needs I defnitely agree with the comments here that you could easily just stay with your Style, or upgrade to a 9930. I'll sheepishly throw in the mix that, if you really like Blackberry in general and their solid reputation for business and practical use - THEY could really use you to go for a Q10 $99 on a new contract with Sprint. You can return it within 14 days (I believe) if it's just not for you. It is an outstanding phone that mixes the old with the new. Like was already said, there *is* a learning curve to any smartphone, whether it's an iphone, a Galaxy, a new Berry, it doesn't matter, there will be a learning curve to using the device. But the benefits do really outweigh the disadvantages, even if you're not really using apps or facebook, etc. I think you'll find it's fun and there are fun ways to use it while still mostly using it as a practical phone.
    NtotheK likes this.
    09-02-13 01:31 PM
    My last BlackBerry prior to the Q was the last non touch (first trackpad) variant of the Bold (Verizon). I loved the build of the device, email, text, BBM functions as well as phone call quality, but for browsing, OS updating, and backing the phone was problematic, and IMHO outweighed the advantages. So much so I went to android OS (didn't like that any better). I then went to iPhone and boy did I see the advantages right away. While the build of the phone was certainly excellent, and I was able to convince myself over the short tern that an all touch device was fine, ultimately I grew frustrated trying to type anything even half as long as this post.

I was able to justify adding a line to my account and dedicating it solely to business and picked up the Q. Everything people say pro and con is right ultimately you have to nake the call. I have to say that while BB10 may be more OS than you need, you might find yourself using the device in ways that actually make a difference in your day. Additionally, the new OS is obviously a from scratch and different build of the software so sayong they are similar isn't quite right. What is right is to say there is plenty of the old functionality we all experienced in the legacy OS but in a more stable and powerful OS. And more of the old enhancements and shortcuts are on the way.

There is really little question where the future of the platform is. I would argue that you bite the bullet on the new OS and within a short while it will feel just as comfortable as the old one.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-13 02:02 PM
    Maybe you should get a feature phone?
    What do you mean by "feature phone"?

You had me at "I am a simple woman".............A few months ago I bought a new-in-box Style because I liked the phone so much. I'm not against going back in time to simple pleasures once in a while. Just keep in mind that the Q10 and BB10 is totally different from your Style and BB6. If you are expecting typical BB on the Q10 you will be disappointed. If you go into it knowing it will be a new experience with a learning curve, you may like it. [snip] Personally, I have not found a good reason to use BB10. My 9930 does everything you claim you do with your Style only a little faster, slicker and with a touch screen.
    I don't anticipate being disappointed; I'm just thinking I may not need/want/bother with all the bells and whistles. I'm not put off by the idea of a "learning curve," and generally I adore electronic gadgets and like learning new things.

Maybe I'll just run over to the Sprint store and play around with the Q10 for a while.
    09-02-13 02:07 PM
    What do you mean by "feature phone"?

I don't anticipate being disappointed; I'm just thinking I may not need/want/bother with all the bells and whistles. I'm not put off by the idea of a "learning curve," and generally I adore electronic gadgets and like learning new things.

Maybe I'll just run over to the Sprint store and play around with the Q10 for a while.
    A phone that isn't considered a smart phone but does all the things you do.
    09-02-13 02:11 PM
    I'd say the Q10 would be worth it if for nothing else, the battery life. I'm a heavy user, (4hrs talk, 2 hours+ browsing, fb, text, e-mail all day) and I get about 36 hours on a full charge.. My Bold 9900 struggled to reach 1 day with light use and closing every app when I was through with it.
    Battery life is definitely a consideration. I have to charge my Style not just every day, but keep it plugged in when I'm in the car and at my work. (My work is in a Sprint "dead zone," so my phone burns up a lot of battery power just looking for a signal.)

These are all excellent posts, and I thank y'all for your helpful thoughts.
    09-02-13 02:12 PM
    And I think on Sprint, it's only $99 on a two year contract. It doesn't get much better than that.

Posted via CB10
    I'll sheepishly throw in the mix that, if you really like Blackberry in general and their solid reputation for business and practical use - THEY could really use you to go for a Q10 $99 on a new contract with Sprint. You can return it within 14 days (I believe) if it's just not for you.
    I've been with Sprint for almost 20 years. When I go to the website and put in my phone number to see my eligibility for an upgrade, I'm told I'm eligible as of yesterday, but the Q10 is priced at $199 with a 2-year contract (I'm perfectly willing to sign a contract). Where's the $99 deal?
    09-02-13 02:20 PM
    I went to the Sprint store to see the phone up close and personal and the guy said, "They haven't launched the Q10 in the stores yet." Grrr...
    09-02-13 08:16 PM
    Your loss haha

Posted via CB10
    09-02-13 08:31 PM
38 12