Well... recently we got to read some news about Verizon talking to investors to get something like 130 billions to purchase Vodafone, If I remember it right they were seeking for 10 billions from many different sources.

So... what if BlackBerry could get 5 investors to put 5 billions each... we could have that 25 billions.

Then: invest it all on apps!

I think all that money would put a real big dent on the way things are done today. Just imagine a budged of 25,000 per app and a total of 1,000,000 native apps done before the year ends.

I understand we need the "big names" ones like IG, but I believe they'll only come with a large user base. That user base, in today's world, can easily come from a big and high quality app catalog. With one million top premium (and free) apps there is no way the OS could go unnoticed by the media. The marketing issue we have today would be gone in a blink of an eye if BlackBerry could have one million apps developed with that much quality. The carrier problem would just disappear with so many people interested on buying the devices because of the apps.

Let's take the BlackBerry Travel for instance. It's an outstanding app. I wish all my apps had that quality and I really believe a small team is behind it. If BlackBerry could invest 25 billions in apps and manage "cells" of ninja-quality and expert devs around the world to focus on a specific segment and group of apps, then BlackBerry could make one million "BlackBerry Travel quality" apps in a short period of time. Sure it all would have to be very organized and collaborative, but it could be done with the tools, know-how and assets BlackBerry have today. Imagine better versions of every single relevant app from iOS and Android developed by BlackBerry if the original dev refuses to go native and support the platform (after proper contacted and offered the budged and support to do it).

This is about taking chances and risks. Steve Jobs himself took a lot of them. A huge and unexpected maneuver like this "plan" could really wow the market and bring better days for our beloved company.

Posted via CB10
    Gearheadaddy and Elite1 like this.
    09-01-13 01:29 AM
    Whether or not they could come up with an investor with 5 billion dollars or even 2 billion dollars, or just have the money they have now, they just need some bold maneuvers like this... and they need 'em yesterday.
    Throw more money at whatever, more ads, more press releases, just more, more, more.
    Now that's a Hail Mary, not this or that device.
    Last edited by elite1; 09-01-13 at 04:04 AM.
    09-01-13 03:53 AM
    I'm sure there are lots of investors around that A) have $5 billion in spare cash laying around and B) think it would be financially prudent to invest $5 billion in a company who is trending in the wrong direction and is seeking strategic alternatives due to their struggles.

On a related note, I'm also sure someone will come along in the next week and give me enough money so I can retire for the rest of my life too.
    09-01-13 07:34 AM
    $25 billion dollars... and spent ALL on apps? Not research and development, or production of better devices, or advertising, or doing whatever is necessary to fully realize the potential of all of the acquisitions made in the last decade or so, or fixing the rest of the problems that got them here? Who would sign up for this?

1,000,000 native apps? Seriously? Please tell me you misspoke and meant native AND 3rd party (although even with that distinction 1,000,000 is a huge stretch)

On your last point, I agree that BBRY needs to take some chances and make some of their own luck but they don't have a Steve Jobs type...they have Steve Urkel.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 09-01-13 at 08:56 AM.
    09-01-13 08:31 AM
    You don't understand the value of money, if you think 5 billion is just thrown around. Esp on creating apps ahhah

Posted via CB10
    09-01-13 08:40 AM
    You don't understand the value of money, if you think 5 billion is just thrown around. Esp on creating apps ahhah

Posted via CB10
    Or that you can build and support an app for $25,000.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-13 08:50 AM
    I think they need to do like Apple and roll out every year a new more powerful model of Z10 and Q10.

So they can stay up to date with all others big names apple, Samsung et invest in ads, the carriers don't want to push out the blackberry models ? So advertise, people will come buy blackberry despite the opinions of the sale reps.

And give bonus to the store owners for each blackberry selled !!!
    Elite1 and BBVegasGirl80 like this.
    09-01-13 10:46 AM
    Apple is on the position they are today because they have a great product. They can dictate and impose their way because they have that good product.

BlackBerry has done the most difficult part of it all: have a great OS. The OS is what it is, an Operating System and needs layers of applications to be really useful. If BlackBerry could reverse the so-called "app gap" and take a leading position in that area then this game could change.

My main point on this "plan" was to bring a lot of "ifs" so we can just think about it. I'm no CEO and have no clue on how to manage a multi billion dollars company. I understand 1 billion is a lot of money and 25 of them are even more absurd but "what if" we could take the app problem off of the equation? Is the app situation the main concern? What if BlackBerry got some money like that, should it all go to marketing instead?

Posted via CB10
    09-01-13 11:13 AM
    Apple is on the position they are today because they have a great product. They can dictate and impose their way because they have that good product.

BlackBerry has done the most difficult part of it all: have a great OS. The OS is what it is, an Operating System and needs layers of applications to be really useful. If BlackBerry could reverse the so-called "app gap" and take a leading position in that area then this game could change.

My main point on this "plan" was to bring a lot of "ifs" so we can just think about it. I'm no CEO and have no clue on how to manage a multi billion dollars company. I understand 1 billion is a lot of money and 25 of them are even more absurd but "what if" we could take the app problem off of the equation? Is the app situation the main concern? What if BlackBerry got some money like that, should it all go to marketing instead?

Posted via CB10
    I think apps are a huge part of the problem BB has. But I don't know that how they fix it. In fact, I don't think they can at this point. And I don't think anything related to BB would attract a 25 billion dollar investment.
    09-01-13 11:32 AM
    What if BlackBerry got some money like that, should it all go to marketing instead?
    All? No but a considerable portion should go not just to marketing but BETTER marketing. Start with firing the CMO and paying whatever it takes to get someone with a proven track record to actually do the job. Provide that CMO with a huge budget and clear directions. Let him determine who in his department are stars (retain) and who is deadwood (toodles).

The reality is the app gap is not as large as it is made out to be. Yes, there are some notable titles missing and we all would like to see them come BUT all the apps in the world are not going to make a difference if they are to be run on a device(s) that people don't know much about, don't want to buy, and are continually maligned in the press and on forums. Effective marketing reverses that and make no mistake it has to be reversed, because as long as the situation is as it is now you are going to be hard pressed to get the bulk of developers to even consider BBRY as a viable platform unless you are willing to spend foolishly (i.e. throw ridiculous amounts of money at them).
    Elite1 likes this.
    09-01-13 11:39 AM
    ...Start with firing the CMO...
    OK... I see... first things first.. Frank must go!

Posted via CB10
    09-01-13 05:12 PM