View Poll Results: Does the presented evidence warrant investigation?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

51 40.80%
  • No

74 59.20%
    The BlackBerry stock crash of 2008 coincided, to the day, with the US House of Representatives signing of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978 Amendments Act of 2008.

This act would go on to establish what we all know today as the NSA's PRISM/PRISON system.

Its been made public that BBRY wouldn't participate in the spying. The day of the signing was the high point of BBRY's stock. Within 4 months, the share price had dropped $100 and the company had shed $50 billion in market value.

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark...
    Last edited by morlock_man; 08-29-13 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Title change
    08-29-13 09:34 AM
    The BlackBerry stock crash of 2008 coincided, to the day, with the US House of Representatives signing of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978 Amendments Act of 2008.

This act would go on to establish what we all know today as the NSA's PRISM/PRISON system.

Its been made public that BBRY wouldn't participate in the spying. The day of the signing was the high point of BBRY's stock. Within 4 months, the share price had dropped $100 and the company had shed $50 billion in market value. The only real reason RIM stock increased in 2008 was in anticipation of the Storm, which turned out to be a real fiasco.

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark...
    Except that the RIM stock started it's downward plunge in 2007. The subsequent 2008 plunge was due solely due to really bad execution. There were so many bad things coming out of RIM at the time, most notably the BlackBerry Storm.
    08-29-13 09:47 AM
    Except that the RIM stock started it's downward plunge in 2007.
    Except that is not true.

The drop you see in 2007 was a 1-3 split in the stock. Google just hasn't reported it since they changed from RIMM to BBRY.
    08-29-13 09:49 AM
    Creepy thought.
    08-29-13 09:50 AM
    Except that is not true.

The drop you see in 2007 was a 1-3 split in the stock. Google just hasn't reported it since they changed from RIMM to BBRY.
    You're right, I had to look up a history of it since it had been so long.

However, I still wouldn't interpret any conspiracy. 2008 was a really bad year for BBRY. The fall in 2008 also coincides with the disastrous BlackBerry Storm (and the Pearl flip didn't help matters much), and the headaches of BBOS 5.x. Followed on the heels with the Tour which also was a disaster at it's initial release. TruePress/SurePress didn't impress either.
    08-29-13 10:01 AM
    You're right, I had to look up a history of it since it had been so long.

However, I still wouldn't interpret any conspiracy. 2008 was a really bad year for BBRY. The fall in 2008 also coincides with the disastrous BlackBerry Storm (and the Pearl flip didn't help much either), and the headaches of BBOS 5.x. Followed on the heels with the Tour which also was a disaster at it's initial release.
    I wouldn't have either. Except for the exact timing of the high point followed by such a huge drop. Even Apple's recent plunge from 700 to below 400 doesn't compare to the rate at which BBRY shed value during those 4 months.

And all while BBRY was still a growing company and turning a profit. The quarter previous to that one saw record growth, with sales and profits doubling over the same quarter of the previous year.

Why would a company experiencing record growth suddenly shed about 70% of its value over the release of a few weak products?
    08-29-13 10:08 AM
    Wow, it had to add up somewhere! Good find OP

Posted via CB10
    08-29-13 10:09 AM
    The 2008 fall had more to do with the release of the iPhone in 2007 and Android in 2008 and the fact that BlackBerry did not provide the user experience that these devices were capable of. The STORM release around this time as an iphone Killer was a HUGH mistake that in the long run cause many to HATE the name BlackBerry.
    08-29-13 10:49 AM
    The 2008 fall had more to do with the release of the iPhone in 2007 and Android in 2008 and the fact that BlackBerry did not provide the user experience that these devices were capable of. The STORM release around this time as an iphone Killer was a HUGH mistake that in the long run cause many to HATE the name BlackBerry.
    Still doesn't make sense. The Storm wasn't released until November and December of that year, after the $100 stock collapse that ended in October. The phones hadn't even gone on sale at that point.

Also, why go straight to HATE?
    08-29-13 10:54 AM
    Still doesn't make sense. The Storm wasn't released until November and December of that year, after the $100 stock collapse that ended in October. The phones hadn't even gone on sale at that point.

Also, why go straight to HATE?
    Yes, but the iPhone was gaining steam becoming popular and having incredible sales. Android was released, and the market was waiting to see how RIM would respond.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    08-29-13 10:59 AM
    5 year manipulation is quite the feat

Posted via CB10
    kevinnugent likes this.
    08-29-13 11:05 AM
    Yes, but the iPhone was gaining steam becoming popular and having incredible sales. Android was released, and the market was waiting to see how RIM would respond.
    Android wasn't released until October of that year.

Sales of a phone that's not even on the market yet shouldn't create a 70% drop in a growing company.

Apple didn't even open their App Store until July, which was after the June decline from the high point.

All these companies knew about PRISM, they just weren't allowed to talk about it. Matters of national security. But they still knew about it and HEDGED their bets accordingly.
    08-29-13 11:06 AM
    July 11, 2008 - iPhone 3G goes on sale. (iPhone 3G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

July 14, 2008 - Apple announces 1 million iPhones sold since July 11, 2008. (Apple - Press Info - Apple Sells One Million iPhone 3Gs in First Weekend)

September 25, 2008 - RIM reports 6.1 million BBs sold. (Research In Motion Reports Second Quarter Results - Press Releases)

October 21, 2008 - Apple reports 6.8 million iPhones sold. Steve Jobs: "We sold more phones than RIM." (Apple - Press Info - Apple Reports Fourth Quarter Results)

Could it be that the stock cratered because Apple passed them in quarterly sales in its 6th quarter of selling phones? At a minimum, you should be able to establish that this was not the cause.
    08-29-13 11:12 AM
    explains why the media in north America are trying to kill BB
    FSeverino and mike869 like this.
    08-29-13 11:21 AM
    Please.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc.
    08-29-13 11:22 AM
    Please.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc.
    Loosely translated: "After it, therefore because of it." In other words, it's a causation fallacy.
    MERCDROID, jegs2 and kevinnugent like this.
    08-29-13 11:24 AM
    Loosely translated: "After it, therefore because of it." In other words, it's a causation fallacy.
    I accept that, aside from the timing of the first double top.

It was, to the day, when the House of Reps signed off on the FISA Amendments that re-classified BBRY as possibly aiding the enemy.

Bush signed it into law the day before the iPhone 3G went on sale.
    08-29-13 11:28 AM
    I have a confession to make - I've been orchestrating a manipulation of BBRY stock for the past 5 years. I've been shorting it the entire time but have been so greedy that even though the stock has gone down from $100 to $10, I'm still at it. However, now I'm ready to cover all of my short positions and buy more because the stock is really worth $100 and I can rake it in again when it bounces back. Don't tell anyone.
    08-29-13 11:33 AM
    I accept that, aside from the timing of the first double top.

It was, to the day, when the House of Reps signed off on the FISA Amendments that re-classified BBRY as possibly aiding the enemy.
    It was also exactly one day before the iPhone 3G launched. I have to believe that investors (who set stock prices after all) were far more aware of the iPhone launch than they were the particular bill you describe.
    app_Developer likes this.
    08-29-13 11:34 AM
    It was also exactly one day before the iPhone 3G launched. I have to believe that investors (who set stock prices after all) were far more aware of the iPhone launch than they were the particular bill you describe.
    I'm saying at this point they all had insider information.
    08-29-13 11:37 AM
    Who had insider information, and what information did they have?
    08-29-13 11:39 AM
    If investors believed that every branch of the US government would drop BB because of this amendment, then I could see a small drop. However that would be offset by every IT manager in private industry would would applaud BB for sticking it to the man and keeping security high.

I chalk it up to the iPhone coming out in 2007, the global crash of 2008 (didn't Apple stock tank to $99 during that time?) and RIM's ineptitude during the iPhone release to come up with any intelligent response to the threat.
    08-29-13 11:50 AM
    Who had insider information, and what information did they have?
    Apple, AOL, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, etc. Any company that participated in PRISM voluntarily handed over any and all emails originating from outside the US as part of the FISA Amendments.

Things like this don't just happen in companies without someone taking notice.
    08-29-13 11:51 AM
    Rim thought the iPhone was a lie. They thought a full touch screen with all the features would have no use full battery life. I think they were in denial for a few years before the caught on.

Posted via CB10
    kevinnugent likes this.
    08-29-13 11:54 AM
    No, RIM likely thought the iPhone would be insecure. And it was and still is.

But that doesn't matter when the government just wants to horde a digital record of everyone's personal lives.
    08-29-13 11:56 AM
211 123 ...