I was going to say 'by Storm' but realised that was not a good idea...!

A few days ago ove rin the Z10 forums I posted this rather irony packed (which was lost on many) reply to those who say Blackberry is finished: Apple, Samsung, HTC, Windows Phone, All Doomed, I'm Afraid...

The discussion has got me thinking back to when BB10 was first launched and I, like many others, were glued to our computers waiting to see what this amazing new OS was going to be. Many journalists claimed Blackberry needed to come up with something no one had ever seen before, just to survive. Many were left disappointed as there was no new amazing feature to the phone that blew everyone else out of the water.

Now, I have a Z10. It's a world away from anything Blackberry have ever done before and IT IS AWESOME. A colleague of mine has a Q10. If I didn't have the Z10 I would die for it. IT IS AWESOME.

But. So far Blackberry have taken everything everyone else has done and made it 110% better. In product terms (NOT marketing terms) they have inched ahead of the rest as the Z10 & Q10 are, just about, the best phones on the market right now. Not because they don't have the apps, just in what they do straight out of the box because they do what you would expect a phone to do better.

However, other than to BB fans such as myself, they didn't come up with just one killer feature that in 5 seconds made the world sit up (such as Apple did with the first iPhone) and say WOW, I WANT ONE.

As has been demonstrated in in CB time and time again, give a BB10 device to an owner of a phone of another platform for more than 15 minutes and they will be rather unbelieving of what they have just witnessed as it really does do everything they want their phone to do better than their phone currently does it. Which is great but wouldn't it be fantastic to have ONE exclusive killer feature you could show off in 10 seconds?

Since then, Samsung released the SG4. It was an upgraded SG3 with some fancy wavy hand stuff and eye watchy but no real use frankly stuff. Oh, and chunky specs to handle bloated OS stuff. It was clear they weren't sure either but expected SG3 owners to just 'want one'.

And now, iPhone is to introduce some sort of BB swipe stuff combined with fingerprinty stuff which doesn't seem to be enough to me.

The market seems stuck as a whole so, let's let our creative juices flow. What would be the ONE absolute KILLER feature ANY smartphone could do that would make you sit up and go 'WOW!!! Can a phone really do that??' in 5 seconds?
    Speedygi likes this.
    08-25-13 05:45 PM
    Killer features...

Being able to Have native (or any really) APPS. Yesterday I went to TGI Friday they have a new discount program.. but no BlackBerry App and after spending time trying to find, convert and then Sideload the android version.... I find it doesn't work.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 05:55 PM
    One that could use any app from any platform right out of the box with out any sideloading.
    And of course one that that prints money for you...........
    other than that I dont see anything that really grabs me.
    jaylysf and bekkay like this.
    08-25-13 06:18 PM
    Interesting question. I'm going to enumerate some of the things that the industry is talking about as the next big things.

Anticipatory computing - when BlackBerry was tyring to advance the state of the art with a keyboard that anticipates the next word you type, Google took the approach of anticipating what you would do and avoid typing together. An excellent writeup of this is in wikipedia's article on Ambient intelligence.

Wearable computing - smart watches, smart eyeglasses, biometrics. This is about to explode. In the fall months in all of the electronic trade shows, this will consume many news cycles. If the rumored iWatch is true, then double down on that.

"Internet of things" - cars, connecting to other mobile devices, smart TV, smart home. BlackBerry has cars but they have yet to make it work with a smartphone. Whatever Apple does here will completely overshadow QNX. Google has cars that drive themselves, but that is still a long way to consumerization.
    MasterOfBinary and richardat like this.
    08-25-13 06:31 PM
    Interesting question. I'm going to enumerate some of the things that the industry is talking about as the next big things.

Anticipatory computing - when BlackBerry was tyring to advance the state of the art with a keyboard that anticipates the next word you type, Google took the approach of anticipating what you would do and avoid typing together. An excellent writeup of this is in wikipedia's article on Ambient intelligence.

Wearable computing - smart watches, smart eyeglasses, biometrics. This is about to explode. In the fall months in all of the electronic trade shows, this will consume many news cycles. If the rumored iWatch is true, then double down on that.

"Internet of things" - cars, connecting to other mobile devices, smart TV, smart home. BlackBerry has cars but they have yet to make it work with a smartphone. Whatever Apple does here will completely overshadow QNX. Google has cars that drive themselves, but that is still a long way to consumerization.
    After the recent revelations or better said confirmations, this is definitely not a future desired by many people.
    08-25-13 07:02 PM
    IMO, the two most important things to be released in the cell phone world recently are

- Google Now (Android 4.1 and later)
    and
    - always-on Voice Control (currently only on the new Motorola phones)

Google Now is a huge game-changer that many people don't yet understand. It figures out when you're going to need key pieces of information and just preemptively gives it to you in an easily-usable format. It's at its best when you are traveling, as it can keep you updated your flight or train departures/arrivals, show you gate changes, and even display your electronic boarding passes and car rental info. But the key is that it UNDERSTANDS what all of those pieces of data are, and gives them to you AS YOU NEED THEM. Nearly everything in the consumer-level computing world prior to this was a REaction to the user's needs, while Google Now is PROactive.

Always-on Voice Control means that there will be lots of situations where you can control your phone totally hands-free and still get the info you need and initiate the tasks you want to accomplish without tying up your hands. Another rarely-talked about aspect of this that also shows Google's advanced computing prowess is Contextual Search. When you can ask your phone "how far away is Los Angeles" and it knows that you mean "from my current location", that's pretty cool, but when you can ask "and how long will it take to drive FROM HERE TO THERE" and it understands, from previous context, that you mean "from MY CURRENT LOCATION to LOS ANGELES", that is amazing, especially when you think what this means for the future. Again, that's a paradigm shift that I don't think people quite appreciate yet, but I'm convinced will become the norm a couple of years from now.

Obviously both of these technologies feed into the next big thing, which is Google Glass and other advanced wearable accessories. I will include smartwatches as a concept, though I don't think any existing ones fully realize their potential, despite getting partway there.
    08-25-13 07:08 PM
    I was going to say 'by Storm' but realised that was not a good idea...!

A few days ago ove rin the Z10 forums I posted this rather irony packed (which was lost on many) reply to those who say Blackberry is finished: Apple, Samsung, HTC, Windows Phone, All Doomed, I'm Afraid...

The discussion has got me thinking back to when BB10 was first launched and I, like many others, were glued to our computers waiting to see what this amazing new OS was going to be. Many journalists claimed Blackberry needed to come up with something no one had ever seen before, just to survive. Many were left disappointed as there was no new amazing feature to the phone that blew everyone else out of the water.

Now, I have a Z10. It's a world away from anything Blackberry have ever done before and IT IS AWESOME. A colleague of mine has a Q10. If I didn't have the Z10 I would die for it. IT IS AWESOME.

But. So far Blackberry have taken everything everyone else has done and made it 110% better. In product terms (NOT marketing terms) they have inched ahead of the rest as the Z10 & Q10 are, just about, the best phones on the market right now. Not because they don't have the apps, just in what they do straight out of the box because they do what you would expect a phone to do better.

However, other than to BB fans such as myself, they didn't come up with just one killer feature that in 5 seconds made the world sit up (such as Apple did with the first iPhone) and say WOW, I WANT ONE.

As has been demonstrated in in CB time and time again, give a BB10 device to an owner of a phone of another platform for more than 15 minutes and they will be rather unbelieving of what they have just witnessed as it really does do everything they want their phone to do better than their phone currently does it. Which is great but wouldn't it be fantastic to have ONE exclusive killer feature you could show off in 10 seconds?

Since then, Samsung released the SG4. It was an upgraded SG3 with some fancy wavy hand stuff and eye watchy but no real use frankly stuff. Oh, and chunky specs to handle bloated OS stuff. It was clear they weren't sure either but expected SG3 owners to just 'want one'.

And now, iPhone is to introduce some sort of BB swipe stuff combined with fingerprinty stuff which doesn't seem to be enough to me.

The market seems stuck as a whole so, let's let our creative juices flow. What would be the ONE absolute KILLER feature ANY smartphone could do that would make you sit up and go 'WOW!!! Can a phone really do that??' in 5 seconds?
    It is so easy for you to dismiss the new features of S4 and upcoming IPhone and proclaim Z10 is 110% better. You're view is no different from Blackberry management and not surprisingly, the company is in limbo. Z10 is not 110% better than other phones. Work on the basics first before you look for that magic formula.
    08-25-13 07:18 PM

How???? Because of the Hub? Its just another notification center which iOS and Android both have? Because of the web browser? Nope, iOS and Android (high end) have equally as good and imo a better web browser because BB10 has trouble rendering some pages. Call quality? Nope, the speakerphone on the Z10 is terrbile. Battery life? Don't make me laugh. Build Quality? Not even close. Media selection and integration into the phone? Way way way behind iOS. Email handling? Nope, all three do push email and do it well. Camera? Not even remotely close.

So in what way is the Z10 or Q10 110% better or improved any existing phones out there? Answer, they haven't. They have some unique features but nothing any of the other platforms can't do in their own way.
    richardat likes this.
    08-25-13 07:25 PM
    Well that is an idea i already had on an iOS forum i used to frequent for the 6 years of my iphone mania (don't ban me i now prefer my Q10 by a long shot).
    What would be a killer feature for a smartphone?
    With intensive use of internet and instant messaging eating part of sms market it appears to me that a 'free' (or with a small annual fee) connection to internet would be a main asset for any manufacturer.
    I once heard Apple was interested in Fon community (free wifi sharing community well spread in Spain, France and other countries).
    If you had a phone with internet access wherever you are you wouldn't be tied to carriers who bill you excessively when you change country (i frequently pass the frontier between France and Italy and the 3? for a service that's slow and sometime not even working..).
    For those more sedentary who don't leave their country it would still be a way to bypass carriers' dictatorship who could focus on their original business: quality call and reliability of their network.
    I really think that the first smartphone coming with universal internet access right out of the box would be THE killing device.
    And of course international buzz would be assured.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 07:45 PM
    But. So far Blackberry have taken everything everyone else has done and made it 110% better.
    Please expound upon this. No...seriously... Give examples.
    08-25-13 08:01 PM
    After the recent revelations or better said confirmations, this is definitely not a future desired by many people.
    That you would have this opinion comes as no surprise at all. Everyone has their own limits for being able to adapt to technological change. There's nothing wrong with that. It's clear from your postings that your high water mark happens to be the technological marvel that is the BlackBerry Bold (2010).
    08-25-13 08:09 PM
    Well there's obviously only one feature left that will take the market by storm, a fingerprint scanning home-bwahahahaha! I couldn't even get that all the way out! Lmao!

As someone that has to use biometric devices every day, and see's how slow they are in the real world, you know, when you get dirty and whatnot, and see's how high quality apple's home button is already... oh my, this will be the ultimate epic fail!

And to the guy up there that said ios and androids browser is comparable to bb's? Try picking up a BlackBerry device before commenting on it again. There is absolutely no comparison. This is desktop browsing on your phone. Android and ios don't even come close.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 08:19 PM
    A phone with more intelligence behind its senses.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 08:34 PM
    Well there's obviously only one feature left that will take the market by storm, a fingerprint scanning home-bwahahahaha! I couldn't even get that all the way out! Lmao!

As someone that has to use biometric devices every day, and see's how slow they are in the real world, you know, when you get dirty and whatnot, and see's how high quality apple's home button is already... oh my, this will be the ultimate epic fail!

And to the guy up there that said ios and androids browser is comparable to bb's? Try picking up a BlackBerry device before commenting on it again. There is absolutely no comparison. This is desktop browsing on your phone. Android and ios don't even come close.

Posted via CB10
    If a tree falls in the forest and there's no one there, is there a sound?
    Alex_Hong and richardat like this.
    08-25-13 08:48 PM
    If a tree falls in the forest and there's no one there, is there a sound?
    A resounding yes. It would be a bit egotistical to think the laws of nature do not apply if we are not there to witness it.

Posted via CB10
    The Aficionado likes this.
    08-25-13 08:58 PM
    A resounding yes. It would be a bit egotistical to think the laws of nature do not apply if we are not there to witness it.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly!
    08-25-13 09:07 PM
    Depends on which definition of "sound" you use. The first definition requires the presence of a human or animal witness.
    shahyaz likes this.
    08-25-13 09:12 PM
    the ability to call people.

we as a society overlook the basics and forget what phones are REALLY supposed to do. text & call people. if you can read emails alongside, great! and we get far too caught up in fanboyism. at the end of the day they're all capable phones there need not be stupid and useless (yes those are the marketable ones) features

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    08-25-13 09:52 PM
    the ability to call people.

we as a society overlook the basics and forget what phones are REALLY supposed to do. text & call people. if you can read emails alongside, great! and we get far too caught up in fanboyism. at the end of the day they're all capable phones there need not be stupid and useless (yes those are the marketable ones) features

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    By that line of logic... smartphones shouldn't be as valuable as they are. Dumbphones would still be all the rage.

Myself personally, I like that my smartphone can order a pizza from Pizza Hut, or a sammich from Jimmy Johns, and have them delivered. And given the choice, I'd purchase the phone that could before I'd purchase the one that couldn't.
    08-25-13 10:01 PM
    Well if QNX is so connected to cars I want to further replace my set of car keys with my BlackBerry.

Car should sense like my keys do when I'm near the car and unlock. Further, memory settings should tie to the specific phone so it knows my radio presets and where my power seats should be as well as my mirrors.

Similarly they should get the major credit cards to tie in through whatever means and after you put in a pin you just show the cashier your phone and they scan it with the hand gun scanner.

Ttc and metrolinx should allow you to use your phone as a presto card.

For me it's about having as much usability for daily things as possible.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 10:13 PM
    #1 Killer Feature

Hub with social networking integration

Posted via CB10
    The Aficionado and bradu1 like this.
    08-26-13 01:04 AM
    That you would have this opinion comes as no surprise at all. Everyone has their own limits for being able to adapt to technological change. There's nothing wrong with that. It's clear from your postings that your high water mark happens to be the technological marvel that is the BlackBerry Bold (2010).
    Some people always have to chase the latest technology without considering the consequences for humans and nature.

I'll ask you this, show me a book or movie placed in the near or far future where technology and the "mobile computing" vision doesn't come back to bite people in the arse. Yet some people want it regardless of all the warnings.
    08-26-13 02:34 AM
    Some people always have to chase the latest technology without considering the consequences for humans and nature.

I'll ask you this, show me a book or movie placed in the near or far future where technology and the "mobile computing" vision doesn't come back to bite people in the arse. Yet some people want it regardless of all the warnings.
    But that's after a few years with these sex robots right? We get a few good years before they try to kill us?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bradu1; 08-26-13 at 03:12 AM.
    08-26-13 02:36 AM
    I think being able to effortlessly integrate the major 3rd party apps natively into the os would be perfect. (Eg. Current box and Dropbox file manager integration, evernote, etc.) Wouldn't it be great also if Instagram integrated seemlessly with the camera app? Or if you could use the same phone dialer to make a Skype, Google voice call? Just type and connect.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 02:48 AM
    I think being able to effortlessly integrate the major 3rd party apps natively into the os would be perfect. (Eg. Current box and Dropbox file manager integration, evernote, etc.) Wouldn't it be great also if Instagram integrated seemlessly with the camera app? Or if you could use the same phone dialer to make a Skype, Google voice call? Just type and connect.

Posted via CB10
    Legacy OS does this lol, I use an app called Vopium and as soon as I dial an international number it takes over. On other platforms you have to go to the app first and dial from within the app.
    08-26-13 02:51 AM
81 123 ...