And why "I dont need apps, Ill just save a web page to my home screen" is a ridiculous answer to app-lack. And rarely a replacement.

Presenting: Stud Find!

iPhone App Actually Locates Wall Studs | ENR: Engineering News Record | McGraw-Hill Construction

The app that takes the guessing out of finding wall studs... It's a mini metal detector!

This is the kind of awesome and creative tools app can be. And why people want them!
    cckgz4 and nyplaya610 like this.
    08-25-13 02:28 PM
    Yes, there are some things that need to integrate device hardware into the app to work, and a web browser isn't very good for that.

But, when most people say apps they mean Angry Birds, Vine, Instagram, Skype, Netflix, and other services that primarily require Web connectivity that you shouldn't need an app for.
    08-25-13 02:39 PM
    Yes, there are some things that need to integrate device hardware into the app to work, and a web browser isn't very good for that.

But, when most people say apps they mean Angry Birds, Vine, Instagram, Skype, Netflix, and other services that primarily require Web connectivity that you shouldn't need an app for.
    I couldn't see anyone using an HTML5 Web based vine tbh. Maybe Netflix, but the rest nope.

douevenCB10?
    ankush77 likes this.
    08-25-13 02:45 PM
    What hardware does the iPhone have that enables it to do this? It has a magnometer?

Is the touch screen that sensitive? Considering even thin gloves block any function, something seems off

Swipe, swipe it good...via CB10 from my Z10
    08-25-13 02:50 PM
    What hardware does the iPhone have that enables it to do this? It has a magnometer?

Is the touch screen that sensitive? Considering even thin gloves block any function, something seems off

From the article:

"The iPhone's three-axis magnetometer is an instrument that measures magnetic forces. Internal Apple software uses the instrument to position the phone's 360� orientation. Stud Find uses the magnetometer as a metal detector."
    08-25-13 02:52 PM
    Hum, just did some digging...apparently you can use a magnet meter for multilayer proximity sensing.....who knew

Learn something new every day

08-25-13 02:54 PM
    Pretty much every mobile device made today has a mangetometer. That's what used to detect wall studs (granted... it'd be less useful on walls with wooden studs, unless you can find nails/screws in the studs).
    ankush77, Mecca EL and wincyUt like this.
    08-25-13 02:55 PM
    I couldn't see anyone using an HTML5 Web based vine tbh. Maybe Netflix, but the rest nope.douevenCB10?
    Right, why would anyone use html5 to upload a video to a website? /sarcasm
    08-25-13 02:56 PM
    Pretty much every mobile device made today has a mangetometer. That's what used to detect wall studs (granted... it'd be less useful on walls with wooden studs, unless you can find nails/screws in the studs).
    That's why I questioned it. App Would be more of a party trick as any contractor worth his weight in salt would not use his phone to find studs with any regularity.

Still clever use of the hardware in the device

sgt_snacks-64 likes this.
    08-25-13 03:01 PM
    That's why I questioned it. App Would be more of a party trick as any contractor worth his weight in salt would not use his phone to find studs with any regularity.

Still clever use of the hardware in the device

I'd imagine that a lot of DIYers would get some good use out of it though. :shrug:
    08-25-13 03:03 PM
    It is an astonishingly creative use for the hardware. I read on gizmodo that a liver operation was performed, with an app on an ipad - the app interfaced with the camera and showed the surgeon where the capillaries were situated, ie where to cut and what to avoid. All in 3d. (the ipad was in a bag, lots of blood :-s)

Additionally, hospitals in texas are trialing using the iphone camera to measure biometrics, blood pressure. Saw that on a BBC iplayer documentary.

It just goes to show the kind of thing that can be done.

I'm certain this is the kind of thing that BlackBerry have in mind, when they talk about a mobile computing future. These things have value; augmented reality, using the sensors in interesting ways. Apps can be useful.

Though most people do equate apps with instagram etc. The mobile phone is a powerful computing device.

BlackBerry has a solid platform - it needs the time to mature; and for enterprising developers to utilise the functionality of the hard/software.

I hope they get the chance.

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    08-25-13 03:15 PM
    Here is another example of a useless "fart" app

Fraunhofer iPad app guides liver surgery through augmented reality
    08-25-13 03:18 PM
    I hate apps. Most of them just spyware.
    08-25-13 03:19 PM
    Here is another example of a useless "fart" app

Fraunhofer iPad app guides liver surgery through augmented reality
    Yes, that's what I was on about - astonishing!

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    08-25-13 03:26 PM
    Yeah, there are a lot of apps that are available for many different professionals to do their jobs on Android and iOS.

Which is why I've never understood why people around here still go around saying "Tools, not toys" or "Get Things Done". Or why they always feel the need to bring up "fart apps" and gaming apps and fail to mention the actual "Tools" that are available on the other platforms.
    08-25-13 03:30 PM
    I will ALWAYS stand on my opinion that a website should not have an app. With responsive development, there's no need for it. The only reason why many websites have an app is because Apple's lack of a good mobile browser when first launched.

And let's me explain what I mean by websites. CNN WSJ Yahoo, Google...simple websites that doesn't present special features.

The mobile browser should be strong enough to handle a website flawlessly.

Games and utility apps, still need.

Posted via CB10
    mkelley65 likes this.
    08-25-13 03:32 PM
    Yeah, there are a lot of apps that are available for many different professionals to do their jobs on Android and iOS.

Which is why I've never understood why people around here still go around saying "Tools, not toys" or "Get Things Done". Or why they always feel the need to bring up "fart apps" and gaming apps and fail to mention the actual "Tools" that are available on the other platforms.
    Because Blackberry told them so and there is nothing else to cling to.
    08-25-13 03:33 PM
    Just a quick search got me the following as well:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/trig...mt=8&at=10l3Vy
    https://itunes.apple.com/US/app/id38...%3D4&at=10l3Vy
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lumi...%3D4&at=10l3Vy
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d=com.squareup (I use this one every now and then)
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/barm...mt=8&at=10l3Vy ($1,000!!!!)

Anyway, all those who think apps are useless and all you need is a browser probably never knew what apps are capable of.
    08-25-13 03:33 PM
    I will ALWAYS stand on my opinion that a website should not have an app. With responsive development, there's no need for it. The only reason why many websites have an app is because Apple's lack of a good mobile browser when first launched.

And let's me explain

Posted via CB10
    An app let's you do many things a website can't. For example, providing you with real-time notifications and app-to-app or app-OS integration.
    pantlesspenguin and Bbnivende like this.
    08-25-13 03:35 PM
    An app let's you do many things a website can't. For example, providing you with real-time notifications.
    Read the rest of my post.

However, that's a valid point. Maybe the only valid point.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 03:37 PM
    However, that's a valid point. Maybe the only valid point.
    Not really. Again, you are missing app-to-app and app-OS integration and ability for an app to work in the background (with minimal resources and no need for a GUI window).
    08-25-13 03:44 PM
    Well, apps are definitely necessary for any platform to succeed. But one can see that the BB10 platform still is lagging behind in sheer lead time to the rest of the platforms, and in time I'm sure you will start to see bigger name apps appear. The Android runtime on the platform is a nice touch, but not all apps are usable this way, and it is a short term fix at best.

Problem is: how do we get these big name players to budge?
    08-25-13 03:45 PM
    I think it is harder to convince some people that apps are important than to convince the developers to support the BB10
    08-25-13 03:48 PM

And let's me explain what I mean by websites. CNN WSJ Yahoo, Google...simple websites that doesn't present special features.

The mobile browser should be strong enough to handle a website flawlessly.

Games and utility apps, still need.

Posted via CB10
    even if you find out later that u were wrong?
    08-25-13 03:53 PM
    The you-don't-need-apps argument makes me imagine a conversation Henry Ford might have had with an unbelieving possible buyer...."why do you need these newfangled machinery??? my horse and buggy can get me to the church on Sunday just fine....This is the work of the devil and it will never sell...."
    08-25-13 03:58 PM
99 123 ...