Hi all,

I've had the z10 since February with Telus.

One thing that has always confused me is the lock screen.

I lock my screen using the power button on the top of the phone. When I do this, the phone is completely locked obviously, but there is a blank screen

My questions:

Why is the screen, after I press the button at the top of the phone to lock it, completely blank? Shouldn't at least the time show up?

Also, the only way I can unlock the phone is to press the power button again at the top. This brings me to my home screen. However, to unlock from there, I have to swipe up from the bottom.

Am I lockung/unlockung my phone properly!

Posted via CB10
    08-24-13 11:36 PM
    No top button needed. You just swipe while on the black screen. I find that a soft swipe will take you to the lock screen, while a stronger swipe will open everything up completely.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 baby!!
    08-24-13 11:46 PM
    no, when the phone is locked, the screen is totally black and nothing, such time etc shows up !
    There is no need to press the power button to unlock the screen, swiping from the bottom will unlock it anyway.
    08-24-13 11:46 PM
    If you go into settings/Display you have 3 options you can choose from under the screen lock timeout

The second one ''Allow power/Lock Key to Unlock device'' might do what you want
    08-24-13 11:47 PM
    Ok thanks everyone!

I think I get it.

But the only thing is if I want to avoid using the power button to unlock I have to allow for gestures while on the locked screen.

Also, to block it immediately, I still have to use the power button I suppose.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-13 11:53 PM
    I always wanted to be able to swipe all the way down to lock the phone. Basically the reverse motion of swiping up to unlock the phone. That why, there would be no button pressing at all.
    08-25-13 12:00 AM
    What drives me nuts is that when the phone is locked, I don't see the time! Isn't it kind of stupid for there to be no clock on the lockscreen?

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 12:02 AM
    What drives me nuts is that when the phone is locked, I don't see the time! Isn't it kind of stupid for there to be no clock on the lockscreen?

Posted via CB10
    You can see the clock when you put the phone on bedside mode,
    08-25-13 12:16 AM
    Ok thanks everyone!

I think I get it.

But the only thing is if I want to avoid using the power button to unlock I have to allow for gestures while on the locked screen.

Also, to block it immediately, I still have to use the power button I suppose.

Posted via CB10
    yes, power button to bock it immediately.
    08-25-13 12:17 AM
    Thanks again.

It seems this whole locking thing could have been made easier!

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 01:02 AM
    Now that you have enabled gestures and the phone is locked you can see the time by swiping up half Inch and
    Release your finger right away and time shows up its still in the locked mode and will go back to sleep based on the setting you have your display set for

Or you can hit the top Button again to dim it

Try the gester up half Inch and release takes a few tries once you master it you will see your clock

Posted via CB10. BlackBerry Z10
    punbb likes this.
    08-25-13 01:16 AM
    i have a prolem something similar. I use a bb flip case.
    My settings are :
    1. screen lock timeout = 20 secs
    2. allow gestures when locked = on
    3. allow power button to unlock the device = off

when i flip open my case there are times, not always that the screen would suddenly go blank in 1/2 secs. i would have to flip back again and it would come up. this happens very often these days, and is quite frustrating.
    i DO NOT get the problem if I use naked. i already have a small scratch and thus want to use a flip case to protect it.

any thoughts?
    08-25-13 01:34 AM

Posted via CB10

U can do a half swipe from the locked screen to see time and msg count.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 03:52 AM
    i have a prolem something similar. I use a bb flip case.
    My settings are :
    1. screen lock timeout = 20 secs
    2. allow gestures when locked = on
    3. allow power button to unlock the device = off

when i flip open my case there are times, not always that the screen would suddenly go blank in 1/2 secs. i would have to flip back again and it would come up. this happens very often these days, and is quite frustrating.
    i DO NOT get the problem if I use naked. i already have a small scratch and thus want to use a flip case to protect it.

any thoughts?
    1: verify that the magnet on your flip case is putting your phone into standby
    In a dark room have your phone on and when you place it in the holster it should go off right Way. Repeat a bunch of time to confirm that the holster works

08-25-13 07:52 AM
    U can do a half swipe from the locked screen to see time and msg count.

Posted via CB10
    now that's cool didn't know that. and go back down and it will go out cool.
    08-25-13 08:20 AM
    Now that you have enabled gestures and the phone is locked you can see the time by swiping up half Inch and
    Release your finger right away and time shows up its still in the locked mode and will go back to sleep based on the setting you have your display set for

Or you can hit the top Button again to dim it

Try the gester up half Inch and release takes a few tries once you master it you will see your clock

Thanks! I tried this and I do see the time but I see my home screen. I was hoping this half gesture would show only the time. But it is a good work around.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 09:24 AM
    Thanks! I tried this and I do see the time but I see my home screen. I was hoping this half gesture would show only the time. But it is a good work around.

Posted via CB10
    Use this method to set up a different lock screen picture and then that should solve all your issues

http://crackberry.com/dear-berry-how...and-homescreen

08-25-13 09:38 AM