BlackBerry likes to brag about the flow and speed of use OS10 provides, but whatever happened to mnemonic dialing? It's frustrating to search contacts or manually enter a number when I want to make a call to a number that is in my contacts. What's really bad about it is that it was listed as a feature for OS 10.1 at one point, then pulled for some reason. This is an absolutely vital feature that other OSes have. We need it. I need it.

I used my Z10 to create this CrackBerry madness!
    08-24-13 04:22 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong...mnemonic dialing is when your spelling out words with the numbers correct? like 1800-eat-here? ( I doubt that's a real number, just the only thing I could think of). With our dialing now being done with a standard telephone dial pad instead of an overlay on physical buttons, how would that even work? I think even on the q the standard touch dial pad comes up on screen correct?

Posted via CB10
    08-24-13 04:30 PM
    Exactly. On the Z10, it recognizes the letter orientation on each number entered and as you touch more numbers it eliminates possible contacts and narrows it down to what you're looking for. For example, you want to call "Tommy ". You would dial 8-6-6-6-9, and that would pull up the contact, and then you just tap the contact to call.

08-24-13 05:26 PM
    Why don't you just press T-o-m etc..

I'm sorry. I don't understand. You'd rather hit numbers than letters?

Posted via CB10
    08-24-13 07:03 PM
    On your dial pad screen, the screen where you dial telephone numbers, each number has alphabet letters attached to them. Think old school text messaging. This way, you don't have to use a search feature to look through the phone, you just start dialing, and the contacts pop up on your dial pad screen. Can't explain it more specifically than that.

08-24-13 10:47 PM
    Ok. Hopefully they add it.

But I don't think I'd ever use it. Lol

When you open the phone, it defaults to calls right? Then I click on contacts and just start typing someone's name with letters, it pops right up. You're just wanting the same thing to occur but with dial pad? Well, I'd never say no to another feature.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-13 10:55 PM
    I know exactly what you mean, it's rather annoying not to have such a feature. Nowadays, I no longer get into my contacts and just use the search function ans simply type: "call xxx" and the number is right there.
    08-25-13 03:37 AM
    Bradu...if you click on the phone Icon on the home screen, a list of all calls appears as normal. With Mnemonic dialing, the next step would be to touch the "dial pad" button on the bottom right to open the dial pad. Now, without opening contacts, I start dialing either a phone number or enter digits as if text messaging old school way, and above the dial pad, possible matches appear from either my contacts or all calls. Then you just click on the correct match and the phone dials. Much faster.

08-25-13 08:06 AM
    Vector, your suggestion is the closest thing I guess we will get to mnemonic dialing. Thank you for passing that along. I didn't really use the search feature much to begin with and totally missed that capability

08-25-13 08:10 AM
    As I have said in a previous post, my 10 year old HTC Apache did that and it was a wonderful feature. I dearly miss that functionality and wish BB would add it. I too now use the search function instead of the contacts in the phone.
    08-26-13 08:47 AM
    Does the Z10 not have a middle tab for calling people in the address book? You should be able to do your mnemonic search without opening the Contacts app.

Mnemonic Dialing-img_00000914.png

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    08-26-13 09:15 AM
    Not quite the same as mnemonic dialing, but yeah, I have that on the Z10 and it's still not as efficient. Adds two extra steps over mnemonic dialing.

08-26-13 01:50 PM
    Just talked to Michael Clewley on Twatter. It's coming!!!

08-26-13 02:04 PM
    Just talked to Michael Clewley on Twatter. It's coming!!!

Nice! Awesome!

That's such a nice resolution to your issue (and many others I'm sure) that I won't even crack a joke on Twatter. Tehee

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 02:17 PM
    That's great to hear.

I've been using my Z10 after using my Q10 for the last few months. The thing that I've found annoying is when you hit the phone button, it brings you to your recently called list and then when you click on the contacts icon the keyboard doesn't automatically appear. I think this should be changed so the keyboard pops up and you can start searching for whatever contact you want to call.

I'm gonna have to suggest this on the Beta Zone.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 05:44 PM
    Awesome I have been wondering why BlackBerry left this out of all the os leaks. This is so standard on other os, and man does it help!!

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 05:51 PM