So as the title says, who's staying in Team OldBerry aka Legacy OS and why have you given BB10 a miss?

My feelings are well known by now and I won't bore you with them again but I'd like to hear from other people.

No matter how much they might want it I think the BB future is not in BB10 or "Mobile Computing" but in the old OS that can provide a more basic smartphone experience and a reasonable price. I think more and more people are realising that smartphones are not making life easier and that it keeps them from enjoying those important moments in life and a "back to basics" trend is gonna start soon if it hasn't already.

A friend just told me he wants a dumb phone again, just calls and sms. Somebody once called it "smartphone fatigue"

Here's a video making this point very clearly:

08-24-13 09:22 AM
    So as the title says, who's staying in Team OldBerry aka Legacy OS ....

A friend just told me he wants a dumb phone again, just calls and sms. Somebody once called it "smartphone fatigue"
    Ahh, belfastdispatcher you must have been talking to my hubby - he wants his tiny flip phone back! (he has the Galaxy S3 and is ready to fire it thru a window)
    Yes life was easier when a phone was just a phone.
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    08-24-13 09:34 AM
    I'm still using my Curve 9350 because the Q10 doesn't release on Sprints network until the 30th of this month.
    Jon Tessler likes this.
    08-24-13 09:36 AM
    Thanks for sharing this, OP. It makes me think about a party I went to last night, but I spent most of the time on my Z. I should've forced myself to put my Z down and be more sociable. I love my Z, but I know I spend too much time on it. Phones shouldn't be our whole lives, but they have. I wasn't the only one there fixated on my phone. I'm glad you made me think about that today.

Sent from my sexy white hot Z10 in Sin City ;-)
    08-24-13 09:42 AM
    I think this crazy smartphone race will come to an end soon, there will come a time when people will be actively seeking to disconnect more and more.
    revtech likes this.
    08-24-13 10:08 AM
    That's a great video OP, and it's so true.
    08-24-13 10:15 AM
    I think this crazy smartphone race will come to an end soon, there will come a time when people will be actively seeking to disconnect more and more.
    Hmmm...I think you are right in a certain way.
    I doubt that people will go back to the old phones like we know them. I'm thinking more about a transition to a new technology that people will not need to touch or even see. I think Google glass as a part of the answer to the future of smartphone but not yet all of it. The smartphone industry as we know it will not necessarily dissappear but evaluate into something else. Something, as you are thinking, more simple.

Ps: DUDE! Where have you been ?!
    Anw, welcome back on CB

Posted via CB10
    08-24-13 10:29 AM
    I seriously do not mean to sound disrespectful just to clarify before some quick trigger mod blasts me!

...but what world do you live in?

Swiped On My Zed10
    habs_fan likes this.
    08-24-13 10:33 AM
    I seriously do not mean to sound disrespectful just to clarify before some quick trigger mod blasts me!

...but what world do you live in?

Swiped On My Zed10
    The real world? The moment of realization is worth a thousand prayers as they say, and when you realize you spend half your awake life on your smartphone.............that's where the penny drops and it's time for a change. Every hour on your smartphone is one hour not living your life.
    revtech likes this.
    08-24-13 10:40 AM
    Me! Why? My contract with Bell Mobility officially expires in August 2014. I'm waiting for the Z30 to be released and see how it plays out. Meanwhile, I'm still rocking my Torch 9860. The only concession to progress is, because Bell has not updated the 9860 OS past 7.1.0.267, is to have downloaded and installed Vodafone's OS 7.1.0.825 which, despite its greater size, has made my phone a little more stable and faster.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    08-24-13 10:48 AM
    Hmmm...I think you are right in a certain way.
    I doubt that people will go back to the old phones like we know them. I'm thinking more about a transition to a new technology that people will not need to touch or even see. I think Google glass as a part of the answer to the future of smartphone but not yet all of it. The smartphone industry as we know it will not necessarily dissappear but evaluate into something else. Something, as you are thinking, more simple.

Ps: DUDE! Where have you been ?!
    Anw, welcome back on CB

Posted via CB10
    That will never happen with the majority of the population, there will be a small number of tech geeks willing to wear it but that's it, it will never be mainstream. Plus they're not even out yet and they're being banned from certain locations or even from driving with them on.

I just took a little break from CB after a temp ban
    BerryWizard likes this.
    08-24-13 10:50 AM
    I just don't see where u are coming from Belfast. I mean, you're suggesting that people spend so much time on their phones that they're "not living" but I think it's just the opposite. They are living. They're more connected than ever to others and the people they care for. I personally think the people who would actually give up their smartphone and go back to a dumb phone for just calls and messaging is a extremely small group. I believe you're more likely to see people simply make the conscious effort to put their phone down than to just go to a device and not have all these features at their disposal.

Not trying to turn this into a war between BBOS and BB10 but I feel like that's all I did on my 9900 was message (I hate being on the phone lol). Since upgrading to my Z10, it just made me realize that my 9900 had nothing exciting about it. I agree with u that BBOS definitely does certain things more efficiently than BB10 in certain aspects but in my opinion I'm Ok with that because I get soooo much more in return with BB10.

Not knocking anyone that still loves BBOS. If u are a person that truly just enjoys messaging and calls and doesn't need bells and whistles, then I can see how it appeals to those people but I think a majority expect more and more out of their smartphones these days to the point that "mobile computing" (whatever it is) may really be the next step. Going back to a dumb phone is just something I can't see many people doing

Posted via CB10
    08-24-13 11:22 AM
    I have considered it, not gonna lie. But it would need to have a full qwerty keyboard. I don't care what level of capabilities so long as I can text easily. I considered it cause its so cheap month to month!
    08-24-13 11:33 AM
    I'm still using my Curve 9350 because the Q10 doesn't release on Sprints network until the 30th of this month.
    Same! except i have the 8530
    kidplanet likes this.
    08-24-13 11:41 AM
    There have been times when I missed my old BlackBerry Curve, but realised how good the Z10 is when my call to the credit card company was put on hold and I could reply to a mail, send out a BBM, open a news app, share a contact on BBM and check the Internet for some information, true multitasking!

Posted via CB10
    08-24-13 11:50 AM
    People is more powerful in the digital world. The human body, materiality, space and time, impose strong limitations to humans. I expect the digital world to take more and more of people's time. The culture and the brain is adapting to this new form of life, It's an evolution of the specie. The mind helped humans to manage the material world, now is time to create new worlds with new rules.

A sign of how strong is the digital world is Apple ditching skeoymorphism, the brain of the humans and the culture doesn't need the material metaphor anymore.
    08-24-13 12:11 PM
    Every technology seems to run full circle at some point and I think the smart phone thing is going to do the same thing. People start to pine away for "the good old days" when simplicity was real and still had "Wow factor". The honeymoon is over for smart phones. It was all nice and and full of, "wow! it can do that!?" but I think people will start laughing about the ridiculousness and needlessness of most of technology in general (not to mention the useless amount of high tech in phones) and start to embrace "the good old days". I know I've been looking at my 9670 remembering when I didn't want or need super fast internet or touch screens or phones that monitored my eye movement. I look at my old 35mm film cameras and think the same thing.
    08-24-13 12:14 PM
    There have been times when I missed my old BlackBerry Curve, but realised how good the Z10 is when my call to the credit card company was put on hold and I could reply to a mail, send out a BBM, open a news app, share a contact on BBM and check the Internet for some information, true multitasking!

Posted via CB10
    Sorry to break it to you but Legacy has been doing that since the 9000 on 3G and even longer on the 2G legacy models that had wifi.

I really don't know why you thing the Z10 was the first BlackBerry to do this multitasking.
    sevoman likes this.
    08-24-13 12:18 PM
    Every technology seems to run full circle at some point and I think the smart phone thing is going to do the same thing. People start to pine away for "the good old days" when simplicity was real and still had "Wow factor". The honeymoon is over for smart phones. It was all nice and and full of, "wow! it can do that!?" but I think people will start laughing about the ridiculousness and needlessness of most of technology in general (not to mention the useless amount of high tech in phones) and start to embrace "the good old days". I know I've been looking at my 9670 remembering when I didn't want or need super fast internet or touch screens or phones that monitored my eye movement. I look at my old 35mm film cameras and think the same thing.
    Dude, that's exactly how I feel down to the 35mm camera(or 5 of them). Analogue photography is making a big comeback. I started a few month ago with one film camera and now I have 5, I develop my own b&w film and hire a dark room from a local organization to do some wet printing(Belfast Exposed)

I think you're exactly right, a large number of people are on the verge of the U-Turn back to the "old days" when you slow down, relax, and re-learn to enjoy the simple things in life.

Edit: here's a couple of pics taken with a camera built in 1960, Zeiss Ikon Symbolica
    Attached Thumbnails So who's still on Team OldBerry wnd why?-img234.jpg   So who's still on Team OldBerry wnd why?-cnv00019.jpg  
    Mecca EL likes this.
    08-24-13 12:24 PM
    9550 and won't think about dumping it until Bridge works with BB10.
    08-24-13 12:29 PM
    Belfast: agreed, but try doing what I did on a legacy device, and then on Bb10. There's a world of difference.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-13 12:34 PM
    I spent 4 months living off the grid because I got tired of technology. I got sick and tired of people calling me all the time, sending me texts, iMessages, emails, etc., etc. I gave away my phone and laptop and went to a monastery.

That said, it's not a trend. Smartphone growth is now being driven by emerging markets and China. To many people in those places, things like the internet are very new and their demands for both communications and information are growing at an incredible pace. In a lot of places, a smartphone is a person's only connection to the internet, and all it has to offer. The past 2 years have seen phenomenal smartphone adoption as prices have dropped enough so a smartphone is no longer a luxury good in emerging markets. I don't see these people getting tired of tech any time soon.
    08-24-13 12:36 PM
    Belfast: agreed, but try doing what I did on a legacy device, and then on Bb10. There's a world of difference.

Posted via CB10
    Oh I have, believe me Legacy is a lot faster to multitask between apps, for example I can toggle between two or more apps by simply holding alt and pressing back button, lightning fast compared to swipe up/tap/swipe up/tap
    08-24-13 12:38 PM
    People is more powerful in the digital world. The human body, materiality, space and time, impose strong limitations to humans. I expect the digital world to take more and more of people's time. The culture and the brain is adapting to this new form of life, It's an evolution of the specie. The mind helped humans to manage the material world, now is time to create new worlds with new rules.

A sign of how strong is the digital world is Apple ditching skeoymorphism, the brain of the humans and the culture doesn't need the material metaphor anymore.
    Deep down we're still animals with basic needs
    08-24-13 12:46 PM
    I don't see a correlation between using Blackberry legacy devices helping someone
    stay off their phone less. Blackberry legacy devices are a primary reason why people's
    faces are buried into their phones.
    08-24-13 12:49 PM
63 123