BlackBerry sales have declined in several key markets as consumers ditch the once-iconic brand in favor of handsets made by rival Samsung, Middle East retailers say.

One large UAE-based electronics chain says its revenues from selling BlackBerry handsets are a little above half what they were a year ago, with the much-heralded BlackBerry 10 (BB10) range having failed to revive the fortunes of the struggling Canadian brand.
    The UAE and a handful of other emerging markets had been a glimmer of hope for BlackBerry over recent years, despite its share of the global smartphone market declining, which led to this month�s admission that the company is up for sale.

But several UAE retailers say they are selling far fewer BlackBerrys compared with a year ago, suggesting that the brand is falling behind. Some say this trend being felt across other key markets such as Saudi Arabia. Ashish Panjabi, chief operating officer for electronics retailer Jacky�s, based in the UAE, reports a drop in BlackBerry sales over the last year.

�In terms of revenue, it�s a little over half it was for last year,� Panjabi told Al Arabiya. �At the same time last year [BlackBerry] was the number-two brand for us. Now they�re number three. The primary gainer has been Samsung,� he added.
    http://english.alarabiya.net/en/busi...wer-sales.html
    08-23-13 02:47 AM
    Ugh......too early to get depressed....

But thanks for the article....
    08-23-13 03:00 AM
    Ugh......too early to get depressed....

But thanks for the article....
    Hear hear...
    08-23-13 03:04 AM
    It actually does get more depressing, MS has taken second place in Latin America but I will be let someone else post about it.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 4
    08-23-13 03:04 AM
    Ugh...*pulls covers over her head and hjides*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    08-23-13 03:12 AM
    It actually does get more depressing, MS has taken second place in Latin America but I will be let someone else post about it.

You're killing us man.
    08-23-13 03:37 AM
    You're killing us man.
    The fault lies with blackberry not cgk.
    kbz1960, h20work, soren203 and 5 others like this.
    08-23-13 04:21 AM
    The fault lies with blackberry not cgk.
    No I can't do it... it's time for me to come clear... I'm actually... Mike Lazaridis
    08-23-13 04:32 AM
    I saw lot of comments in other blogs of UAE and emerging markets consumers complaining about high price of Q5. They were expecting US$150 to $200, not $400. Maybe a price drop will jump start sales.
    phuoc likes this.
    08-23-13 04:40 AM
    I saw lot of comments in other blogs of UAE and emerging markets consumers complaining about high price of Q5. They were expecting US$150 to $200, not $400. Maybe a price drop will jump start sales.
    Won't matter. Once bbm hits cross platform.
    That's the fat lady singing.
    kevinnugent and JeepBB like this.
    08-23-13 04:59 AM
    Here you go - Windows Phone is the number two OS in Latin America

Windows Phone is the number two OS in Latin America

On Thursday, Microsoft made note of the fact that the latest report from IDC shows that in Latin America, Windows Phone is the second most used mobile OS in the region. For Microsoft and Nokia, this is confirmation that they have been on the right track in some markets by using a combination of low prices and plenty of features on phones like the sizzling hot Nokia Lumia 520.

Last year, Windows Phone was in fourth place in Latin America, but has grown sharply over the last year. On a sequential basis, the platform grew 12% from the first quarter. The Nokia Lumia 520 has become the best selling Windows Phone model and in emerging markets this one device is being lauded for contributing to the strong growth of Microsoft's mobile OS in the area. The Redmond based company mentioned Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Peru as countries where Windows Phone is showing outstanding growth.

Nokia has been using a two pronged strategy depending on the region. In emerging markets like Latin America, the Finnish based manufacturer has been concentrating on offering low-end models priced accordingly, but with enough features to attract buyers looking for more than just a cheap handset. In the U.S. and other developed markets, Nokia has been using phones like the Nokia Lumia 920, Nokia Lumia 925, Nokia Lumia 928 and Nokia Lumia 1020 to focus (no pun intended) on the line's ability to take great pictures in low-light conditions.
    08-23-13 05:00 AM
    No I can't do it... it's time for me to come clear... I'm actually... Mike Lazaridis
    Who isn't?
    08-23-13 05:00 AM
    Who isn't?
    Apparently Thorsten Heins...
    08-23-13 05:01 AM
    Something I've been wondering about - we keep hearing that there are Blackberry strongholds outside of the USA - but they shipped @4.8 million bb07 devices to 40/50+ countries? So I can't put the two together.
    08-23-13 05:10 AM
    Figures lie and Liars figure...
    (Not directed at you cgk!)

At least they didn't call the 520 the Best Launch Ever with Long Lines and Sell Outs
    helio9965, cgk, h20work and 5 others like this.
    08-23-13 05:20 AM
    Didn't I tell you this the other day in the post when someone posted about Nokia being the top seller in the ME I said it's because of their low margin phones and I said BB is losing market share at a rapid share. Our company only a month ago allowed for other brands to be given to employees after years of BB exclusivity.
    More people here in UAE now carry other brands and Samsung seems to have the market lead but other brands are also taking shape. Low end Nokia phones mostly used for low income labour etc. I have never seen a high end Lumia used by anyone although I'm sure there are some around. Lack of apps and being behind with hardware specs are leading to all the troubles for BB..

Sent from my HTC One using CB Forums mobile app
    cgk likes this.
    08-23-13 05:33 AM
    More people here in UAE now carry other brands and Samsung seems to have the market lead but other brands are also taking shape. Low end Nokia phones mostly used for low income labour etc. I have never seen a high end Lumia used by anyone although I'm sure there are some around. Lack of apps and being behind with hardware specs are leading to all the troubles for BB..

Sent from my HTC One using CB Forums mobile app

I think WP has a weird problem in that unless you are really into cameras for most people the high-end devices don't provide enough of a difference experience because the low-end are pretty good.
    Fuzzballz likes this.
    08-23-13 05:35 AM
    Something I've been wondering about - we keep hearing that there are Blackberry strongholds outside of the USA - but they shipped @4.8 million bb07 devices to 40/50+ countries? So I can't put the two together.
    Neither can blackberry for that matter.

Blackberry's market share is eroding in developing countries.

Once BBM lands on iOS and android, expect the deterioration to increase rapidly.
    cgk likes this.
    08-23-13 05:40 AM
    I think WP has a weird problem in that unless you are really into cameras for most people the high-end devices don't provide enough of a difference experience because the low-end are pretty good.
    Well I don't see it as a negative to be honest
    08-23-13 05:43 AM
    Let's move to South Africa and reboot
    08-23-13 05:49 AM
    Well I don't see it as a negative to be honest
    Oh it's not from a consumer side, it's fantastic and I got my father-in-law a 520 for that very reason but it makes it harder to sell the higher margin items I would think. I might switch back to WP but it will be mid-range at best because the top-ends don't offer anything particularly different.
    08-23-13 05:50 AM
    And speaking about the Nokia 520, looking on UK hot deals this morning, you can pick it up for �59 on a pay-as-you-go upgrade...
    08-23-13 06:36 AM
    The Q5 is another epic mis-step. They need to price that device near cost, within $50 or so. Keep it VERY close and get them in the hands of everyone out there they can. Offer them for $200-$250 and actually get sales. Free on contract etc. BlackBerry needs to build their BB10 base, they need to hit that 5million a quarter shipped for JUST BB10, and continue to expand it.

I have said it many many times, let HTC build a low end BB10 device and price it to SELL. Like the Lumia 520 or bargain bin Android devices.
    08-23-13 06:42 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong - unlike developed markets, large Apps ecosystem is not a significant feature in developing countries so BlackBerry management has less excuse to fail in this sector with BBM so widely used.
    08-23-13 06:44 AM
    Great! I've been wanting to talk to you for a long time, because I value your insight due to your experience and knowledge.

Which is better, Dunkin Donuts or Krispy Kreme? And do you know what the best place is to buy Dove Bars by the case?
    08-23-13 06:46 AM
167 123 ...