BlackBerry Branding at this point in time, is Mud.

If BB, were to entertain licensing the BB10 OS software platform, to third party manufacturers, I feel that using the " Powered by QNX " branding, rather than the "Powered by BlackBerry or BB10" would be a major advantage to BB in the consumer space and allow the 3rd party manufacturers, to gain some well needed profile to compete against the likes of Samsung and Apple.

Just for clarity, I am not saying to rebrand "BlackBerry" as "QNX"

What i am saying is, if BlackBerry agrees to license BB10 to other 3rd party manufactures, the could have printed on that device (Say a Sony Xperia Device) Powered by QNX, nice and small at the bottom of the device someware, something like how ASUS put their branding on the Nexus 7 tablets at the back.

BlackBerry 10 Branding BB10 made handsets, would still exist unchanged.

The positive side for BlackBerry, is that they will be aided by improved marketing from their partner manufactures ( who will have loyal customers primarily interested and supporting their brand ) much in the way Android partners, increase the profile of the Android platform.

Public perception to BB is not at a high, as you all know, but QNX is the foundation BB10 and is relatively unknown to the average consumer, which can work to BlackBerry's advantage, taking the pressure off of BB10 branding and platform struggles, leaving the likes of Sony, Asus, Huawei and others, to do what they do best, Create compelling hardware and marketing campaigns, aimed at winning over the general public and improving BlackBerry's position in the smartphone/devices market.
    Last edited by keypad; 08-20-13 at 05:17 AM.
    08-20-13 04:32 AM
    Why replace a well-known brand with a acronym no-one knows and which doesn't really sound that cool? There are enough unknown mobile platforms already (Firefox OS, Sailfish, Tizen) and throwing QNX in that puddle won't help.
    08-20-13 05:00 AM
    Why replace a well-known brand with a acronym no-one knows and which doesn't really sound that cool? There are enough unknown mobile platforms already (Firefox OS, Sailfish, Tizen) and throwing QNX in that puddle won't help.

My simple answer is:

Re-read my post for my answer.
    08-20-13 05:06 AM
    Although the BlackBerry brand may not hold much appeal in the world's major markets, BlackBerry is still quite an attractive brand in many emerging markets. You know.... places like Indonesia and Nigeria, the places where BlackBerry is still performing strongly. Basically, the idea is to introduce a completely new brand to the world, and completely alienate your customers where you're still a significant player. Not a good idea. Trying to reclaim a brand's value is tricky business. In the late 90's Apple's name was synonymous with expensive and crappy, but they stuck with it and now it's a license to print money. BlackBerry's best chance is to rehabilitate their image. They should hire some consulting firms to help them do it. Perhaps they can get some ideas because the ones they're coming up with are..... no so good.
    mathking606 and keypad like this.
    08-20-13 05:31 AM
    Although the BlackBerry brand may not hold much appeal in the world's major markets, BlackBerry is still quite an attractive brand in many emerging markets. You know.... places like Indonesia and Nigeria, the places where BlackBerry is still performing strongly. Basically, the idea is to introduce a completely new brand to the world, and completely alienate your customers where you're still a significant player. Not a good idea. Trying to reclaim a brand's value is tricky business. In the late 90's Apple's name was synonymous with expensive and crappy, but they stuck with it and now it's a license to print money. BlackBerry's best chance is to rehabilitate their image. They should hire some consulting firms to help them do it. Perhaps they can get some ideas because the ones they're coming up with are..... no so good.
    I agree with you on the BlackBerry branding being strong in the emerging markets.

without writing an enormously long post, im just concentrating on the western market for want of a better word i.e UK, US, Canada, Europe etc.

Im not saying rebrand the whole company again, from BlackBerry to QNX.

Just the branding used, when licensing the OS, when used on 3rd party hardware, such as Asus or Sony smart-devices.

BlackBerry 10 will still be the main brand and only used on BlackBerry manufactured devices.
    08-20-13 06:00 AM
    Agree. BlackBerry = slow, locked down device with no apps that just does e-mail and voice well in most peoples minds
    QNX, or anything else would be unknown and have a chance to be accepted.
    keypad likes this.
    08-20-13 09:06 AM
    Agree blackberry is a bad word in a lot of places. I don't know that QNX wants to tarnish their name by putting it on the phones either.
    MasterOfBinary and keypad like this.
    08-20-13 09:10 AM
    Good luck on getting anything unknown to catch on. It's not that most people don't like Berry it's also that they payed fir apps on either Droid or Berry
    keypad likes this.
    08-20-13 09:14 AM
    Next thing someone in the Windows Phone forum will suggest: Windows Phone 8, powered by WinCE. Let's stop confusing the big boy pants world of business with the flash in the pan trends of the consumer market: BlackBerry still has cache in the business world, which is where any licensing deal is going to be made. Bringing QNX into the mix is no different than if Nokia were to try and improve adoption of Windows Phone by marketing WinCE (Compact Embedded) since it doesn't have the negative connotation of Windows 8.

On a side note, whoever it was that first started using the term 'powered by' needs to be sent packing to a desolate island for exile. Last I checked, all of my electronics were powered by just that: electricity. Stupid buzz words and useless phrases... (Rant ends here)
    keypad likes this.
    08-20-13 09:22 AM
    A rebranding campaign would cost BB BILLIONS of dollars in marketing that it does not have, even if it was a good idea (and I don't think it is). No one but folks here on Crackberry are impressed by the QNX brand, which makes sense since it was a small company making embedded software for machine control and the like.
    MasterOfBinary and keypad like this.
    08-20-13 11:28 AM
    A rebranding campaign would cost BB BILLIONS of dollars in marketing that it does not have, even if it was a good idea (and I don't think it is). No one but folks here on Crackberry are impressed by the QNX brand, which makes sense since it was a small company making embedded software for machine control and the like.
    Would not cost a thing.

No marketing needed.

QNX logo already exists and has been recently updated also.

Slap QNX on the back of 3rd party manufactured phones, job done.

Have another read of my post, I think you may be over thinking the implementation.
    08-20-13 01:07 PM
    But what does QNX really mean to anyone?

Posted via CB10
    keypad likes this.
    08-20-13 04:36 PM
    But what does QNX really mean to anyone?

Posted via CB10
    For most it means nothing. So making up a new name, like Pineapple Punch, would be 100% as good.

But there are some people that do know what QNX is, and seeing the name used on a phone OS wouldn't make them think too much of it.
    Troy Tiscareno and keypad like this.
    08-20-13 05:26 PM