The recent announcement from BlackBerry stating that they are pursuing strategic initiatives I believe is the final nail in the coffin for BlackBerry.

Before I get into my rant, I own a Z10. I think it is an amazing phone, albeit, with a few features and apps still missing.

BlackBerry has been failing of several levels for quite some time. Let's recap the past few months. BB10 delay. Z10/Q10 launch delay. U.S. launch delay. Marketing failures - the neon bikes, cartoon superheros, superhero super bowl ad. 30 second Z10 ad that had 5 seconds of Z10. Pricing the Z10 on par with iPhone and S4/S5. Minimal carrier support at launch, especially in the U.S. Biggest brand name apps still refuse to support BB10. Playbook fiasco. BES10 challenges (software is still buggy). Less than 5 million BB10 units sold through Q1/FY14. Leaked A10/Z30 specs that are below current S5 specs. Overpriced Q5. And now they announce a strategic review with very little indication of what direction they're heading....

Well, I can tell you where they're going and it isn't pretty. Announcing a strategic review pretty much killed the very little momentum BlackBerry had. The reinvigorated trolls that love bashing BlackBerry have been given new life. It gave Jonathan Gellar the wettest dream of his life. Gave the "I told-you-so" people a new reason to live. And all this unneeded, unnecessary negativity is going to result in sales falling off a cliff (or the small hill they were on). App development is going to freeze. What ever carrier support they had will change to a fire/discount sale mode. Consumers perception of the brand is tarnished further, making any future sales that much more difficult. BlackBerry is effectively now a rudder-less/engine-less ship in the ocean, adrift until some form of certainty re-emerges.

What I hope for is a strong financial buyer to come in - and fire, in epic fashion, filled with expletives, the entire Board and senior executive team - none of whom deserve to be there. Hold off launching the A10/Z30 until they properly spec it up. Fire the marketing department and hire a group of people who can inspire consumers and businesses to buy a proper BlackBerry again. Convince carriers around the world that BB10 is an amazing platform with the best phones and then maybe after 30 or 40 million units are sold, we won't need a forum to request an app, because it will already be there.
    08-19-13 04:56 PM
    Carriers fault , still?

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 05:01 PM
    I am sick and tired of this ****. Go to bed.
    MERCDROID and mujahid 10 like this.
    08-19-13 05:02 PM
    I've been hearing this since 2009 but this might be the time?
    08-19-13 05:05 PM
    It amuses me how all the "BlackBerry is doomed" posters feel they need to recap the last few years, months, etc.

Like really? No has mentioned that yet, no one thought of that! You make total sense now that we see it from your enlightened point of view!

Sent using Mobile Nations mobile app
    mk2234 and collinc93 like this.
    08-19-13 05:07 PM
    I've been hearing this since 2009 but this might be the time?
    Their saving grace has historically been their service revenue. It's about to fall off a cliff. They used to sell 12+ million phones per quarter. They're now selling less than 7 and new phones don't guarantee service revenue.
    08-19-13 05:08 PM
    The recent announcement from BlackBerry stating that they are pursuing strategic initiatives I believe is the final nail in the coffin for BlackBerry.

Before I get into my rant,
    I'm going to stop right here because I am almost positive your rant will be the same as others have been posting for the last four years.
    pmccartney likes this.
    08-19-13 05:08 PM
    I'm going to stop right here because I am almost positive your rant will be the same as others have been posting for the last four years.
    Thank you for not stopping to leave your comment...
    08-19-13 05:10 PM
    Thank you for not stopping to leave your comment...
    Any time
    08-19-13 05:12 PM
    As soon as a buyer is confirmed blackberry will take off and become a major player once again. The company has to many assets and a great OS so I don't see it going away any day soon.
    08-19-13 05:14 PM
    "Hold off launching the A10/Z30 until they properly spec it up."

But, wouldn't this be a delay?
    08-19-13 05:16 PM
    As soon as a buyer is confirmed blackberry will take off and become a major player once again. The company has to many assets and a great OS so I don't see it going away any day soon.
    Aside from it's cash (which it will start burning through soon) and it's patents (which are not worth nearly as much as people think) which other assets fall into that "too many" category?
    08-19-13 05:20 PM
    My wife just told me she is looking at strategic alternatives to being married to me. I don't see why I should be worried about that either.
    rodan01, john_v, MERCDROID and 7 others like this.
    08-19-13 05:24 PM
    Over 70 million subscribers for one and Id you did your homework and look closer at the company they are not lacking for cash at all. What they need is another company like Samsung or Google to give them a jumpstart back into the smartphone market. There is no doom and gloom at this point and time but they need to react to their failing business model.
    08-19-13 05:24 PM
    "Hold off launching the A10/Z30 until they properly spec it up."

But, wouldn't this be a delay?
    Have they announced a launch date yet?
    08-19-13 05:26 PM
    I tired these issues are!
    08-19-13 05:26 PM
    You are right, this can't be good for Blackberry. I was thinking of buying Z10 handset(s) for my family but it seems the company is going under. I have been wavering between Windows 8 and BB10 since I like supporting underdogs. I guess this makes my decision simpler. BB10 is an awesome OS but this management sucks big time. I feel bad for those engineers who developed this OS. Now because of these idi*ts at the top, this OS is going to be most likely thrown in the garbage.
    08-19-13 05:27 PM
    Over 70 million subscribers for one and I'd you do your homework and look closer at the company they are not lacking for cash at all. What they need is another company like Samsung or Google to give them a jumpstart back into the smartphone market. There is no doom and gloom at this point and time but they need to react to their failing business model.
    Stop quoting 70 million subscribers. It's giving you and others a very false sense of security. That number is about to fall off a cliff along with the associated cash flow. Look at post #6. BlackBerry's cash is about to start decreasing very fast. Developers only care about BB10 installed base which is 5 million.
    08-19-13 05:29 PM
    They don't even give sub info now. Must be bad because we know only 2.7 bb10 shipped. And suddenly they act as of the market is so saturated with z/qs that simple addition can't give us a user number.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 05:31 PM
    facepalm...
    08-19-13 05:31 PM
    My wife just told me she is looking at strategic alternatives to being married to me. I don't see why I should be worried about that either.
    Possible merger.... nice!

Posted via CB10
    Jahcure and cjcampbell like this.
    08-19-13 05:36 PM
    They don't even give sub info now. Must be bad because we know only 2.7 bb10 shipped. And suddenly they act as of the market is so saturated with z/qs that simple addition can't give us a user number.

Posted via CB10
    Well I guess we will see what happens in the near future and hopefully blackberry becomes a stable company again.
    08-19-13 05:39 PM
    Haha. BB has plenty of cash on hand. Generating 2 Billion annually with little to no debt, yes a sale or partnership may be in the works, but there will be BlackBerry phones for years to come! Obviously BlackBerry has to take a lot of blame for poor BB10 marketing!..
    However posts like this, biased online reviews and poor carrier promotion just make the climb that much steeper.

Posted via BlackBerry Z10
    08-19-13 05:40 PM
    The only thing I can see happening at the moment is developers won't want to put time into creating apps for BlackBerry if there's an uncertainty about what is happening with regards to this 'strategic approach'

Just my 2 cents, may be totally wrong but just what I think may happen.

Posted via CB10
    Etios and kbz1960 like this.
    08-19-13 05:50 PM
    At least once per day, a preacher thread is born......yawn
    Jahcure and mk2234 like this.
    08-19-13 06:04 PM
58 123