I hope this isn't a stupid question?

The Z30 is the Aristo, correct?

Well, if the Z30 is uber spectacular and makes the Z10 look like childs play, then why did the Z30 not launch first?

I mean, this comeback was extremely important for BlackBerry, so why launch the Z10 with bare bones, basic features??
    Why not deliver the Aristo as the debut device for OS10??

Does BlackBerry read this forum?
    They should if they don't already.

They just still seem so out of touch with consumer needs.

I'm NOT putting them down, but I was shocked they still only gave us a single alarm setting. Most OS's have a multi-alarm function-years ago.
    That is one reason why I'm curious if they lurk here.

I just don't understand what they are doing anymore.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 11:56 PM
    Why didn't the S4 launch first?
    08-19-13 12:11 AM

The Z30 is the Aristo, correct?

Well, if the Z30 is uber spectacular and makes the Z10 look like childs play, then why did the Z30 not launch first?

I mean, this comeback was extremely important for BlackBerry, so why launch the Z10 with bare bones, basic features??
    Why not deliver the Aristo as the debut device for OS10??

Does BlackBerry read this forum?
    They should if they don't already.

They just still seem so out of touch with consumer needs.

I'm NOT putting them down, but I was shocked they still only gave us a single alarm setting. Most OS's have a multi-alarm function-years ago.

Posted via CB10
    Well it is a stupid question. It's like asking why they didn't launch the Z10 in 2007 when apple came out. It's a building process. Your next product, always have to be better than your previous one.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 12:13 AM
    But, the Z30 was already in place. Why not launch it as the Z10?

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 12:34 AM
    But, the Z30 was already in place. Why not launch it as the Z10?

Posted via CB10
    Lol the Z30 was no where near in place

Posted via my Q10 | BerryLeaks Co-founder
    08-19-13 12:44 AM
    Hmmmm I knew about the Aristo long before the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 04:36 PM
    I think I understand the OPs point which I take to mean hold off on delivery of the Z10 until after getting the Z30 to market. The Q10 would have been released on schedule so the BB10 OS would not have been technically delayed.

I also realize there are problems with that scenario not the least of which would be missing another release target. That being said though it is an interesting idea to have put all the energy into releasing the better specced Z30 and then treating the Z10 as the more "budget friendly" cousin.
    08-19-13 04:44 PM
    I'm not sure the Z30 market is as big as the Z10 market is. Anybody have any numbers showing market by device screen size?
    08-19-13 04:50 PM
    For one I don't think it would matter with the same release OS that would've been on it.
    08-19-13 04:54 PM
    I think the OP thinks about screen real estate.
    08-19-13 05:29 PM
    Perhaps it's not that the Z30 should have released first - perhaps BlackBerry 10.2 should have been released, as the starter os.

Sadly, BlackBerry were in a position where they had to release something and we got what we got. The os was considerably more stable with the Q, and 10.1, and - if the leaks are anything to go by - 10.2 is better still!

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    08-19-13 05:37 PM
    Thank You. You latter posters understand what I am trying to say.

Maybe 10.2 would have helped initially from the beginning, but yes, my point was why not release the better model instead of the Z10 first.

It just makes more sense to me I guess.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 09:52 PM

Posted via CB10
    you can have as many alarms as you want using the calendar
    08-21-13 02:33 AM
    Hmmmm I knew about the Aristo long before the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    That's you, that's not the reality of what happened. The Z10 was in development long before the Z30.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 03:01 AM
    I'm not sure the Z30 market is as big as the Z10 market is. Anybody have any numbers showing market by device screen size?
    This seems to be the most likely assessment. Z10 was the model most likely to make the biggest bang among BB users wanting a full touch device and users of other devices. I have no scientific evidence, but among the devices I see in use every day, very few of them are of the 5" variety. Tons of iPhones and Androids in the 4" area, and not much else. I'd bet dollars to donuts that was the basis of the decision to launch the Z10 first.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    08-21-13 07:00 AM
    I simply doubt the Aristo was ready to go back then. All we heard was the name and that it would be the top-tier flagship - one of the reasons why many people are somewhat disappointed by the latest, leaked specs of that device, which aren't cutting-edge anymore nearing the end of 2013. I am pretty sure Apple already has basic plans for the iPhone 7 or Samsung for their Galaxy S6, but that doesn't mean they'll release those very future devices first.

The Z10 however most likely would've always been the initial launching device and it did fairly well. There are multiple reasons: The specs have been good for early this year, not spectacular, but good. That 4.3" screen is not too small, yet not too big. Many people consider the 4.2-4.5" as the "sweet spot" in terms of screen sizes. So BBRY could avoid interested users who would be yelling "This thing is too big!", which most likely have been more users than the other way around, complaining about a screen which is way too small. Basicly the Z10 most likely appealed to a larger user base, unlike the Z30.

There might be more reasons: BBRY also held back the Q10, although it seemed to be "ready to go" when it was first shown back in January, but they wanted to get 10.1 done first. So they might hold the Aristo off, till they have finished 10.2. Another reason might be getting the required parts. There have been some reports about shortages in single smartphone components and that "smaller" customers (like BlackBerry is today) simply have to wait longer, while some prime costumers like Samsung or Apple get the stuff first - due to ordering higher amounts of parts.

At the end of the day it seems like the Z30 might not really match the hype anyways, so far it seems to be a slightly updated Z10, with the prime-feature being a larger display.
    08-21-13 07:28 AM
    Lol the Z30 was no where near in place

Posted via my Q10 | BerryLeaks Co-founder
    Well technically speaking we have heard of the Aristo before the Z10 or BB10 for that matter was released

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 12:00 PM
    ^^^^True story.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 12:19 PM
    Well technically speaking we have heard of the Aristo before the Z10 or BB10 for that matter was released

Posted via CB10
    This is true.
    But the z10 was being developed during that time.
    My bet is the z30 was one of the devices that they paused on developing

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 12:23 PM
    This is true.
    But the z10 was being developed during that time.
    My bet is the z30 was one of the devices that they paused on developing

Posted via CB10
    You're probably right about that. Still confused on how they went from 1.5 GHz Quad core and a 4.7 inch screen to 1.7 GHz dual core and a 5 inch screen. It might be possible that the Aristo was scrapped and then brought back to life once BB10 was finalized and running on the Z10 and Q10. I'm guessing they realized they probably didn't need Quad core, but wanted a device with a screen size more standard in the market.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 01:57 PM
    If the Aristo launched first, it would have probably been priced at $800-$1000, and they probably would have sold even fewer units.
    08-21-13 02:08 PM
    You're probably right about that. Still confused on how they went from 1.5 GHz Quad core and a 4.7 inch screen to 1.7 GHz dual core and a 5 inch screen. It might be possible that the Aristo was scrapped and then brought back to life once BB10 was finalized and running on the Z10 and Q10. I'm guessing they realized they probably didn't need Quad core, but wanted a device with a screen size more standard in the market.

Posted via CB10
    They were never confirmed specs tbh.
    People Just got carried away over a leaked spec sheet.
    For all we know by the time that sheet had leaked they probably had settled on what it is now.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 05:13 PM
    If the Aristo launched first, it would have probably been priced at $800-$1000, and they probably would have sold even fewer units.
    This.
    The aristo coming first would have been a disaster

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 05:14 PM
    This.
    The aristo coming first would have been a disaster

Posted via CB10
    +1

I still believe that 70% of the market is Z10 size or smaller. You have to earn a seat at the table by offering something that targets the current market or how you think the market will be over the next 8 months. Then stretch into these sub-categories. BTW, I held the new Samsung Super Mega Gigantor or whatever it is and it is too much. That market is way to small to target right now, at least for BB.
    08-21-13 07:46 PM
    +1

I still believe that 70% of the market is Z10 size or smaller. You have to earn a seat at the table by offering something that targets the current market or how you think the market will be over the next 8 months. Then stretch into these sub-categories. BTW, I held the new Samsung Super Mega Gigantor or whatever it is and it is too much. That market is way to small to target right now, at least for BB.
    I won't touch the z30 because of its size.
    The z10 is as big as I want to go. I realise that there are plenty of people who want the bigger phone but I'm not one of them and there are plenty others like me!

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 02:57 AM
27 12