Caisse de Depot et Placement du Quebec is some sort of Calpers from Quebec. They have just announced that they are open to take a position in BlackBerry. Seems the Canadian Pension Plan is also interested....

Here's the relevant part of the article, just out on Bloomberg. Haven't seen it in other threads, so here's the update on the BlackBerry serial

"The CEO of Caisse de Depot et Placement du Quebec, Canada?s second-largest pension-fund manager, said today he?d consider investing in BlackBerry, though he knows of no deal in the works.
    ?We?d be open to looking at it,? Michael Sabia told analysts on a conference call today. ?Our judgment of it would depend on what the specific conditions were -- the returns, the structure of the deal.?

Pension Interest?

Sabia?s comments echo those made by other pension funds, including the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board, which last week said it would consider investing in BlackBerry if the opportunity arose. Caisse de Depot oversaw assets worth about C$185.9 billion ($180 billion) as of June 30.
    ?Whether we do it or not, I can?t tell you,? Sabia said. ?I have no idea because that?s not something that?s on the table as we speak.?
    End of quote, link further below ...

Having a sound financial base will help BlackBerry go all out with the marketing and licensing.

Lack of money tells competitors / negotiators / suppliers that BlackBerry would have to accept poor terms.

The CPP / CDQ option may indeed be the best together with Premier.

Whoever owns the shares, please get a great marketing team. With 10.2 we finally have a competitive OS.

The North American customers want a few headline apps. The rest of the world does not have access to Netflix or Hulu, etc on any device at all and doesn't buy handsets for these apps. So the problem is not that big to solve.

http://washpost.bloomberg.com/Story?...MFIAB9OAVEFUOQ

Posted via CB10
    theRock1975 likes this.
    08-16-13 03:13 PM
    Most business people when asked will give you a generic non-committal answer to any similar questions.

These article with pension managers saying they would "consider it" or they would "be interested", mean very little. Perm stepping down is the ONLY thing that has me wondering what is going on.
    theRock1975 likes this.
    08-16-13 03:18 PM
    Prem stepping down and Canadian pension plans expressing their interests is just telling the American companies that if you want BlackBerry you will have to offer fair market value or else Canadian interests will take it private. Those biased US media bashers think they are fooling anyone but themselves? The world is moving away from the US and I think BlackBerry should do the same. BlackBerry needs to look to the future and that is Asia.

Posted via CB10
    theRock1975 and Forj77 like this.
    08-17-13 07:33 AM
    Everyone is interested, at the right price.
    nquyen likes this.
    08-17-13 06:50 PM
    I would LOVE the blackberry story to unfold this way.

Cpp, Caisse, RBC, Scotia, Fairfax chip in and buy the shares driving it up to $20.

BlackBerry assets worth a fortune stay in Canada.
    BlackBerry products keep rolling out.
    Bbm becomes the #1 messenger.
    Negative stock talk ends for good.
    Shorts get massively burned.
    Statcounter US & worldwide data is true and Q2 is a success.
    Sony partners with blackberry and we get Bb10 on Sony tablets!
    Sony TV's run qnx and our awesome bb10 phones bridge very nicely with the TVs and we can run our apps directly on the TV.

Posted via CB10
    Geeoff and Ribes Nigrum like this.
    08-17-13 08:31 PM
    Mr Freetruth You make a lot of sense. Short and powerful statement, thanks
    08-17-13 10:02 PM
  7. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Stay tuned in the days ahead... looking forward to seeing Prem and the canadian heavyweights take blackberry private...

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 03:41 PM
    Should be good. The CPPIB made a massive profit when they sold their interest in Skype to Microsoft.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 04:00 PM
  9. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Lots of valuable assets at blackberry. Should be interesting...

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 04:12 PM
    Do you think the heavyweights will wait after the ER in Sept. to make the move or before that? I would expect after the ER.

Lots of valuable assets at blackberry. Should be interesting...

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 09:34 AM
    Hrmmmmm

I wonder if Prem is considering a debt offerring so Fairfax can be the only owner?

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 10:08 PM
    I would LOVE the blackberry story to unfold this way.

Cpp, Caisse, RBC, Scotia, Fairfax chip in and buy the shares driving it up to $20.

BlackBerry assets worth a fortune stay in Canada.
    BlackBerry products keep rolling out.
    Bbm becomes the #1 messenger.
    Negative stock talk ends for good.
    Shorts get massively burned.
    Statcounter US & worldwide data is true and Q2 is a success.
    Sony partners with blackberry and we get Bb10 on Sony tablets!
    Sony TV's run qnx and our awesome bb10 phones bridge very nicely with the TVs and we can run our apps directly on the TV.

Posted via CB10
    I Second that!

CB10 on the Z10
    08-20-13 08:49 AM