Hello all. With the recent government snooping and invasion of privacy, I was thinking of hosting a bes for my family. I'm aware of the 100 dollar a year license per device. But what I'm unclear on and can't really find any info on is how much is the software for bes10.1? I can just buy the license for the software then install on my own server correct? Any information or pointing me to this would be much appreciated it.

And yes, I'm wearing a foil hat. I don't have anything to hide but I'm tired of losing freedom and privacy so I'm hoping to buy some back. Take care all.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 11:22 AM
    Hello all. With the recent government snooping and invasion of privacy, I was thinking of hosting a bes for my family. I'm aware of the 100 dollar a year license per device. But what I'm unclear on and can't really find any info on is how much is the software for bes10.1? I can just buy the license for the software then install on my own server correct? Any information or pointing me to this would be much appreciated it.

And yes, I'm wearing a foil hat. I don't have anything to hide but I'm tired of losing freedom and privacy so I'm hoping to buy some back. Take care all.

Posted via CB10
    Download BESX, if you're that paranoid... Just know you can't hide...
    08-16-13 11:24 AM

Posted via CB10
    There is a 60 day free trial. I'm sure there will be specifics if you sign up.

Mobile Device Management (MDM) - Manage BYOD Devices - US
    08-16-13 12:07 PM
    From my understanding, there is no cost associated with the BES10.1 software (free usage). You just need to spend money on the CAL purchase for your Blackberry devices.
    08-16-13 03:55 PM
    Yes. BES is free. Licenses are annual or perpetual. I won't solicit here but there are a few places online you can get the licenses

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 07:18 PM
    ...and I'm not positive on this, but I believe perpetual CALs are available for BB10 devices. That $99 a year may only apply if you're using iOS/Android devices.
    08-16-13 07:33 PM
    So the software is now free and you pay a one time 100 fee? This doesn't seem like a good business strategy. Unless you have to have a special server to run the software.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 09:58 PM
    So the software is now free and you pay a one time 100 fee? This doesn't seem like a good business strategy. Unless you have to have a special server to run the software.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, it isn't so bad. When you consider that a company with 1,000 users might have a couple of hundred iOS/Android devices, that's $20k in annual revenue to BB right there.
    08-17-13 02:54 AM
    I think BlackBerry is going to annual with all their licensing. BDS and UDS. There has been so much confusion with licensing going back to BlackBerry Mobile Fusion, as BlackBerry has changed what they wanted to do with CALs.

The annual licensing makes sense... only problem is someone MDM space is going to get crowded bow with everyone offering some solution.

We have been selling perpetual licenses for 10 years and I can tell you people. Right now are gun shy about investing in licensing. The market is confused somewhat.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-13 07:11 AM
    If you are really wearing the tinfoil hat you should know that you are more likely than not to pop up on the government's radar if you do start to use encryption. The NSA will start storing all your traffic for future use and you will be entered into a database. NSA: If Your Data Is Encrypted, You Might Be Evil, So We'll Keep It Until We're Sure | Techdirt

Posted via CB10
    08-17-13 03:37 PM
    If you are really wearing the tinfoil hat you should know that you are more likely than not to pop up on the government's radar if you do start to use encryption. The NSA will start storing all your traffic for future use and you will be entered into a database. NSA: If Your Data Is Encrypted, You Might Be Evil, So We'll Keep It Until We're Sure | Techdirt

Good. They will still have to do extra work just to see the conversations about my family's animal crossing new leaf towns and my mom's 60th birthday bash.

Auto Corrected by BlackBerry 10 via CB10
    danprown likes this.
    08-19-13 02:50 AM
    Just expect that the NSA is listening to your calls anyways. I personally have nothing to hide so I am not worried.
    08-19-13 05:23 AM
    Only animals do not have anything to hide. Except squirrels I guess... Cardinal Richelieu said "If one would give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest man, I would find something in them to have him hanged."

Just expect that the NSA is listening to your calls anyways. I personally have nothing to hide so I am not worried.
    08-19-13 08:14 AM
    Just remember, that no matter what you have on your end, if an email goes to an email server outside of your control, it's readable by the Governments, unless PGP etc is involved.

Aas for nothing to hide, I think the best thought there is "I have nothing to hide from people I trust."
    08-19-13 11:04 AM
    To confirm all BES10 licenses going forward are annual licenses (apart from the corporate BES5 trade-up program and the current 2 for 1 offer).

Do you host your own Exchange server for email? If not, BES almost certainly won't work for you.
    Of course it then only adds Blackberry layer encryption between the BES and your device. There's a lot of email infrastructure outside of that relationship.
    08-20-13 05:17 AM
    we will be firing up an Exchange server obviously so we can host our own email between the family. It's nice having the entire family back on BlackBerry hahaha. Hosting a family BES will be pretty cool. Out of curiosity. When you buy a CAL, I assume that they are tied to the device, so if I wanted to upgrade a phone I would have to use another CAL to activate that device on the BES or can you transfer to another device? I heard about them dropping perpetual license so I need to buy while I can still find them.
    08-25-13 10:53 PM
    Hello all. With the recent government snooping and invasion of privacy, I was thinking of hosting a bes for my family.Posted via CB10
    What specifically do you think the BES is going to get you in regards to security over a normal device that has both the main storage and SD card encrypted (data at rest)? Normal ActiveSync will use HTTPS for synching email (data in transit) , so your email will be encrypted on both fronts. The only real difference when you have a BES is you have a separate work side on the device (which is pointless for protection if you are encrypting the personal side) and a secure connection from your BB back through BlackBerry to your BES to your Exchange server. Honestly though the government isn't going to try and break your encrypted HTTPS ActiveSync conversations, and if they wanted your email that badly they would break into your email server or go through BlackBerry to get it (but that's an awfully large foil hat concept).

So don't deploy a BES because you think it is going to help you protect your data from the government, because it isn't really going to provide you any additional benefit for the headache of running it and paying for the CALs.

Don't forget any email leaving your home Exchange server to external email domains will be scannable because it's clear text SMTP, unless you encrypt the message contents but this is a client function and has nothing to do with a BES.
    sparkaction and deiop like this.
    08-31-13 02:23 PM
    Sounds like you may benefit from simply using an encryption technique, such as PGP. SMTP is a non-encrypted transport. Also, if you're using BBM, that traffic goes through RIM.

From what I can tell, UDS CALs are renewing, EMM CALs are perpetual, but then you need a third party MDM solution.
    09-03-13 09:10 AM

From what I can tell, UDS CALs are renewing, EMM CALs are perpetual, but then you need a third party MDM solution.
    All BES CALs (BDS & UDS) are annual now. There are no BES10 CALs that you can buy that are perpetual (you can only get perpetual BES10 CALs via the trade-in program).
    09-04-13 04:47 AM
    Only animals do not have anything to hide. Except squirrels I guess... Cardinal Richelieu said "If one would give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest man, I would find something in them to have him hanged."
    i believe that quote is disputed as whether it can be attributed to him or not, but regardless, your point is spot on. if we all wait for the violation of our privacy that offends us the most before becoming concerned, we will only finally act long after it is too late. The 21st century has been quite a disappointing time in that regard.
    09-04-13 03:43 PM
    UDS CALS are annual. BDS CALS are still available for purchase on the BB site (5 min. ago) as perpetual.

V
    mkelley65 likes this.
    09-04-13 03:51 PM
    I expressed my concern in another thread as well. Given the situation Blackberry is in right now, their pricing is just too expensive and will drive existing customers to other MDM solutions which are much cheaper. They'll have to lower the price to compete.
    09-19-13 09:07 PM
    I expressed my concern in another thread as well. Given the situation Blackberry is in right now, their pricing is just too expensive and will drive existing customers to other MDM solutions which are much cheaper. They'll have to lower the price to compete.
    ? What MDM is cheaper than 19$ a year?

Posted via CB10
    higherdestiny likes this.
    09-24-13 03:23 AM
    What specifically do you think the BES is going to get you in regards to security over a normal device that has both the main storage and SD card encrypted (data at rest)? Normal ActiveSync will use HTTPS for synching email (data in transit) , so your email will be encrypted on both fronts. The only real difference when you have a BES is you have a separate work side on the device
    Not quite. BES will always provide significantly enhanced protection compared to pure ActiveSync over HTTPS.

For the paranoid -
    * use EMM Regulated mode to ensure all data is transmitted over encrypted channels to the BES,
    * ensure that you perform a wired activation for each BB10 device when first activating
    * tighten up IT policies
    * Secure your exchange server!

No use having a rock solid secure BES when your exchange server is the weak spot. Make sure that's secure. At the very least you'll have rock solid secure comms between family members
    09-26-13 12:14 AM

Posted via CB10
    Software is free.
    09-26-13 07:08 AM