My primary concern right now, given the news and updates related to the direction Blackberry is taking in the market, that I might personally not be able to upgrade to a new Blackberry phone in two years. I haven't had any problems doing this in the past, they have had their ups and downs but I have always been able to walk into whatever carrier I was with come upgrade time and purchase a new Blackberry phone. Each time I have gotten one it has come with a well supported ecosystem of apps that has only gotten better every purchase.

That being said, if they sell or partner with another company what is it going to be like in two years? Will we all have to buy androids or apples even if we don't want to? At this point I could personally care less about the "you know what" measuring contest as long as the new phone I want is available for purchase come upgrade time. I don't want this to end up like webOS.
    08-15-13 07:54 PM
    From what people are saying, more than likely the brand will still be here in a few years. I don't think we will be forced to go to another platform. If I had to, it would be a sad day for me, as well. I'm hoping that even if the BlackBerry name is taken from the phones that the OS and way it operates remains the same and I can still get one like my Z10.
    bob_tn, mzceetee, shaleem and 1 others like this.
    08-15-13 07:58 PM
    My primary concern right now, given the news and updates related to the direction Blackberry is taking in the market, that I might personally not be able to upgrade to a new Blackberry phone in two years. I haven't had any problems doing this in the past, they have had their ups and downs but I have always been able to walk into whatever carrier I was with come upgrade time and purchase a new Blackberry phone. Each time I have gotten one it has come with a well supported ecosystem of apps that has only gotten better every purchase.

That being said, if they sell or partner with another company what is it going to be like in two years? Will we all have to buy androids or apples even if we don't want to? At this point I could personally care less about the "you know what" measuring contest as long as the new phone I want is available for purchase come upgrade time. I don't want this to end up like webOS.
    Impossible to tell what will happen in two years, though. And you're not locked to an iPhone or an Android device. There are always the Nokias, the 1020 looks nice.
    eldricho and shaleem like this.
    08-15-13 08:01 PM
    I'd personally start a petition to raise money for BlackBerry before switching to another device
    08-15-13 08:13 PM
    In two years we might have Tizen, Firefox, Ubuntu, Sailfish etc. not to mention WP8. I don't anyone will be "forced" to use Android / iPhone if thay don't want to.
    08-16-13 08:58 AM
    I would just get a home phone. Lol

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry_Boss likes this.
    08-16-13 09:00 AM
    I would just get a home phone. Lol

Posted via CB10
    What's that? Lol

Z10
    Blackberry_Boss likes this.
    08-16-13 09:09 AM
    I am sure the Gestaphone police will force you to something ancient and horrible...maybe like an old Nokia 5110 aka a 1998 phone. The phone freedom fighters will use a tin cans and string.
    08-16-13 09:17 AM
    That's a question I have in mind, too. Either way, it'll be probably horrible. Today I'd go like this:

Android > iOS/WP8 (can't decide which one of the latter two is the worst)

But in fact I wouldn't be satisfied with any of those by today's state.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 09:26 AM
    you will all be using arirangs in 2 years, just you wait and see

in all seriousness though, its 2 years away, so id advise a `cross that bridge when you come to it` approach. Also even if BlackBerry does get bought, we have no idea if it will go the way of Motorola, or the way of palm, or another way.

on the other hand, Thorsten can make a call on the tablet market 5 years from now, so maybe he could predict it for ya lol
    08-16-13 09:29 AM
    If I had to chose I would go with a HTC phone but I don't plan on it any time soon

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 11:10 AM
    always been a fan of the qwerty keys over touching glass, does anyone else make a qwerty phone any more thats worth a damn? I mean Motorola has that Droid line of slide out horizontal keyboards with big enough screen real estate, but Google bought out Motorola and I don't know where the Droid line goes from here? Also I have never been a fan of Android devices that are impractical with horrible battery life.

Its sad that we may be forced to all use one type of slab device. I mean I think a lot of that is perception by the consumer and lack of marketing on qwerty devices. Also much of this falls on Blackberry's shoulders for taking far too long to get with the program and updating their OS. Now Blackberry has updated the OS and is slowly building a new ecosystem, but as good as BB10 as an OS, it could be too late now to change public perception.

I find it amusing that people will say, "You bought a Blackberry, they are a dying company". Well if you only sign a 2 year contract, every phone you use, you will move onto a different one on the next contract, so what difference does any of that make unless you are an investor in the common stock?
    08-16-13 11:18 AM
    My hand was forced earlier than others when my firm decided at the beginning of the year that it was not going to get a BES10 server or otherwise support BB10. I bought a Note 2. It was no big deal. The world didn't end. The sun still rises every morning. I'm happy with the phone (very happy!). Life goes on. Sh-t happens, and wherever you go, there you are.
    Air Force One, travaz and TgeekB like this.
    08-16-13 11:19 AM
    My hand was forced earlier than others when my firm decided at the beginning of the year that it was not going to get a BES10 server or otherwise support BB10. I bought a Note 2. It was no big deal. The world didn't end. The sun still rises every morning. I'm happy with the phone (very happy!). Life goes on. Sh-t happens, and wherever you go, there you are.
    I have the note2 as well... What an awesome device. Can't wait to see the note 3.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using CB Forums mobile app
    JasW and TgeekB like this.
    08-16-13 12:33 PM
    I am as big a BB fan as anyone on here. I am looking at getting a new Moto X because I currently can't get the apps that i need on my Z10. I love the Z10 but it's about getting Sht done and I cant on my Z10.
    08-16-13 01:18 PM
    I don't think that BlackBerry will be out of the market in the future.
    There's certainly a market space for another OS in addition to IOS and Android that now dominate the market.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 01:25 PM
    If apps are still lacking in 8 months from now (or so), will go to latest Android or iOS to try it.. I love my Q10 but BB needs to step up fast with BBW
    08-16-13 01:30 PM
    I will be forced to eat an Apple. BB till the end!

Sent from my sexy white hot Z10 in Sin City ;-)
    08-16-13 03:58 PM
    I'd go with the Ubuntu Edge! Runs Android and a full Ubuntu Linux OS!

It's still in the lab, but is looking awesome so far.

That being said, if a miracle occurs and BlackBerry is still making handsets in 2015, I'll stick with BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    08-17-13 12:25 AM
    I'd say there is a very very good chance, in my opinion, that you will not be able to buy a new BlackBerry phone in two years. Not a phone produced by the company now known as BlackBerry and maybe not even one running BlackBerry 10, or 11 or 12 made by any company.

At the very least you should watch the earnings report at the end of September. If the non US sales numbers are bad you can pretty much count on BlackBerry getting bought. And the new buyer will want patents, BBM, BES, the NOC, QNX etc. BlackBerry 10 would have less value in that case since it would have failed to sell on devices.

Just my opinion. Let's hope things turn out a lot better.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-13 03:38 AM
    Well, if you're a Verizon customer, you'll have a very narrow range to choose from. Because of their network, I highly doubt you'll see Tizen, Sailfish or Firefox OS phones on big red here in the states. No, we're stuck with the stuff they want us to have. As for Blackberry, I really see a small market future for them with niche Q-series keypad phones. The Z's cannot compete with Apple-droid. Not possible.

But a line of high-quality (think Rolls Royce quality) phones with the popular apps, formatted by BB for the small screen can.

Think BlackBerry...think Keypad. Its the only way
    08-17-13 11:44 PM
    If it ever does come down to it I would grab a sailfish or Windows Phone, or the Ubuntu if they ever get the funds to start up.

Z10? Why yes it is.
    08-17-13 11:52 PM
    I will get a windows phone since Microsoft is my most respected US company and I don't want to see the mobile platform is dominated by just one (Android). BTW, iPhone platform is too old and boring and not cool.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 12:15 AM
    Well, if you're a Verizon customer, you'll have a very narrow range to choose from. Because of their network, I highly doubt you'll see Tizen, Sailfish or Firefox OS phones on big red here in the states. No, we're stuck with the stuff they want us to have. As for Blackberry, I really see a small market future for them with niche Q-series keypad phones. The Z's cannot compete with Apple-droid. Not possible.

But a line of high-quality (think Rolls Royce quality) phones with the popular apps, formatted by BB for the small screen can.

Think BlackBerry...think Keypad. Its the only way
    You may have a point there.
    08-18-13 02:03 AM