So what would happen if BlackBerry went away? Do you honestly think it will happen?

Give DealNews your 2-cents!

VIDEO: What Happens if BlackBerry Goes Defunct?
    08-15-13 07:44 AM
    What happens if the sun implodes and our universe collapses on itself? I like these crazy hypothetical games about doomsday scenarios.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-13 07:47 AM
    So what would happen if BlackBerry went away? Do you honestly think it will happen?

Honestly? The world as we know will last for approximately 8.9 seconds and then reality will cease to exist.

What happens if the sun implodes and our universe collapses on itself? I like these crazy hypothetical games about doomsday scenarios.

Posted via CB10
    OMG You knew that TOO?!
    anon(2353369) and Bowlegz like this.
    08-15-13 07:47 AM
    CrackBerry will die, at least the bbry part of mobile nations and everyone moves on and makes dumb threads and complain on the other forums about their new crappy device or how they should've changed a long time ago because they didn't know what they were missing.
    08-15-13 07:49 AM
    Seriously now, companies come and go.

Ask the guys that had Palms what they have done: They moved on.

For us consumers it MATTERS NOT. We have options out there (sadly one less option if BB sinks), but it will be business as usual.

For governments, it will mean having to risk critical data on not so safe devices.

For employees, investors, pension fund people and the likes... That's gonna be a world of hurt. I doubt many of us fall in that last category. Those are the guys that should be worrying.

And lastly... Go read Chris Umiastowski's posts. This isn't the end of the BerryWorld. It's just another blown out of proportion story. Sales, mergers, partnerships, going private... None of these things are synonyms of doom. They can all lead to awesome stuff.
    08-15-13 07:50 AM
    As consumers, nothing happens. We will switch to another platform and that will be that. From an economic standpoint a lot of people would lose jobs while the high level people at BB ride off into the sunset super rich without a care in the world.
    08-15-13 07:55 AM
    Seriously now, companies come and go.

Ask the guys that had Palms what they have done: They moved on.

For us consumers it MATTERS NOT. We have options out there (sadly one less option if BB sinks), but it will be business as usual.

For governments, it will mean having to risk critical data on not so safe devices.

For employees, investors, pension fund people and the likes... That's gonna be a world of hurt. I doubt many of us fall in that last category. Those are the guys that should be worrying.

And lastly... Go read Chris Umiastowski's posts. This isn't the end of the BerryWorld. It's just another blown out of proportion story. Sales, mergers, partnerships, going private... None of these things are synonyms of doom. They can all lead to awesome stuff.
    LOL. I did and I still have one of mine around here ....somewhere.

@OP, the world will not end, fanboys won't commit suicide Berrycide and consumers will B & M......and move on. We did.
    08-15-13 08:03 AM
    If BlackBerry goes...I will continue to wake up, get dressed, go to work, possibly with a new device if my Q10 gives up the ghost in years to come...that's about it...or at least until I retire that is...then I will just get up, get dressed, complain about the younger generation and all their too technical devices that I cannot get to grips with

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q10
    Fnen90, earlym and Bonnie Bonzai like this.
    08-15-13 08:13 AM
    Well, life goes on without a BlackBerry I suppose. We will move on without batting an eye.

08-15-13 08:20 AM
    Well, life goes on without a BlackBerry I suppose. We will move on without batting an eye.
    No.. Noo.... KBZ is right on this one. We'll bat eyes, ***** and moan...

It's the same with any kind of breakup. 4 Stages of Grief.

BUT FOR THE MOMENT >>> ROCK THE Z10 I WILL!
    08-15-13 08:26 AM
    The BlackBerry 5 Stages of Grief will manifest itself:

1) Denial and Isolation - All over BlackBerrystan (yeah, I made up a country) there will be a normal and predictable denial of reality. To lessen the shock people will hide from the facts as an attempt to minimize the shock and pain of impending loss.

2) Anger - Once the D&I passes all that will be left is anger. Anger at BlackBerry, anger at ourselves, anger at Jonathan Geller, anger at analysts, anger at Apple, the mailman, the pudgy kid next door, the lady on the bus that smells of Ben-Gay, bergamot, moth ball and AVON Field of Flowers and even GAWD! almighty.

3) Bargaining - In an attempt to regain some control we start the bargaining process: If only BlackBerry had marketed better, if only Apple had been attacked by terrorists, if only we had converted more people, that sort of thing.

4) Depression - self explanatory and I have to tell you all that a lot of you are screwing this process up by skipping ahead. You should not be here yet.

5) Acceptance - The realization that the loss is real, there is no changing it and the only thing we can do is move on. Oddly, at the same time sales of Apple, Nokia and Samsung experience an unexpected uptick.
    08-15-13 09:00 AM
    everyone moves on and makes dumb threads and complain on the other forums about their new crappy device
    New crappy device from a carrier and company along with a created consumer-culture that bit the hand that fed. BlackBerry essentially invented the smartphone. I don't care what mistakes they've made. They don't deserve to die.

~STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2025 TMO US
    08-15-13 09:02 AM
    The BlackBerry 5 Stages of Grief will manifest itself:

1) Denial and Isolation - All over BlackBerrystan (yeah, I made up a country) there will be a normal and predictable denial of reality. To lessen the shock people will hide from the facts as an attempt to minimize the shock and pain of impending loss.

2) Anger - Once the D&I passes all that will be left is anger. Anger at BlackBerry, anger at ourselves, anger at Jonathan Geller, anger at analysts, anger at Apple, the mailman, the pudgy kid next door, the lady on the bus that smells of Ben-Gay, bergamot, moth ball and AVON Field of Flowers and even GAWD! almighty.

3) Bargaining - In an attempt to regain some control we start the bargaining process: If only BlackBerry had marketed better, if only Apple had been attacked by terrorists, if only we had converted more people, that sort of thing.

4) Depression - self explanatory and I have to tell you all that a lot of you are screwing this process up by skipping ahead. You should not be here yet.

5) Acceptance - The realization that the loss is real, there is no changing it and the only thing we can do is move on. Oddly, at the same time sales of Apple, Nokia and Samsung experience an unexpected uptick.
    For me #5 is the realization that I'd almost rather use a Jitterbug and give up smartphones altogether, rather than become apart of the iOS, Android, and Windows Phone contemporary culture.

sklotz2000 likes this.
    08-15-13 09:04 AM
    If that happens I would be sad but I'd move to iPhone, I'm an apple fan but I don't like iphones and I totally wouldn't get an android I just hate them, they make me so angry
    Fnen90 likes this.
    08-15-13 09:06 AM
    I don't know...if I will really need a mobile device, I will have to pick one...
    But I know one thing for sure...IT WILL NEVER BE APPLE!!!!
    Rather go back to sending smoke signals...
    08-15-13 09:25 AM
    If BlackBerry dies as a company, it will be born a yet another tech cult group

Posted via CB10
    08-15-13 09:31 AM
    Android...can't bare the thought.

Windows Phone...Microsoft what has gone wrong with you after Windows 7 release? THC in the development offices' air vent systems?

First Apple product I'd ever buy. And I'm dreading every minute of it...make that second!

Unto the path of iThorns...

1. Email and calendar setup...what a f*** up. This ain't no BlackBerry and here's my first big reminder of that, right up my rear.

2. Swipe up, let down.

3. Keypad, so sad.

4. No troubleshooting, just double looting...for Apple that is. Send it in. Nothing you can do. Designed for the willfully ignorant and tech geek wannabes.

5. Sync with iTunes, more like hell runes...Link was a dink but I prefer no Apple software on my hardware, tyvm.

6. Separate apps, piece of crap...I'd rather be a blub with my BlackBerry Hub than a stud with an iPhone going in and out of separate communication apps...among going in and out of other things...

7. No Peek, eek! For the entity known so widely as the inventor of gestures, they sure have done very little with it.

8. Notification pane, more like house of pain...no widgets, no active frames, nothing of the sort. I'm sure they'll eventually copy from BlackBerry 10 on some of these, but it won't be as good.

9. Your old cable, it's off the table! Come on, this is Apple...they've got something special for you. Our way, or the highway.

10. Oh, but apps! I can finally use Netflix. No subscription...oops. I can finally use Instagram...no interest, oops. I can finally play modern games? They're already on BlackBerry 10...oops. I can finally play ported classics like DOOM...yep, on BlackBerry 10 almost since launch. Oh, but I can resume depositing checks by taking a picture of them! Yeah, but at this point I'm more likely to take a picture of my special finger and send that to my bank instead. Thanks for BlackBerry 10 support...not!

11. But at least I'm free from BlackBerry discrimination and hate talk...right? Now I can use a smartphone in peace because it has been accepted by society as "cool". But on the other hand, I'm miserable using it. I've been forced to conform (more like succumb) to the social norms deemed acceptable by technological zeroes. Moreover, I have been forced against being myself, as I deeply consider BlackBerry as being apart if who I am...

...but I can't wait to become one of the cool kids...hardly.

Don't worry, if BlackBerry does fade, I will personally make sure they are not forgotten. The iSheep and Droidbergs that are unfortunate enough to know me IRL will never hear the end of it.

:-3 *sadistic grin*

Last edited by STV0726; 08-15-13 at 09:47 AM.
    08-15-13 09:37 AM
    Well, I don't believe BlackBerry will go away anytime soon. They have enough clients that needed their secure network to keep them afloat.
    08-15-13 10:04 AM

Posted via CB10
    No more Blackberry?
    BBVegasGirl80 and fragment137 like this.
    08-15-13 10:06 AM

Well we could all buy up as many BlackBerry smartphones as possible and hoard them so we'll always have Blackberries even if the company bites the dust.
    BBVegasGirl80 and fragment137 like this.
    08-15-13 10:06 AM
    Are they going somewhere?..didn't get the return "out of the office on vacation" notice, if anything, that's what it'd be, regroup 'away' time, to come back with a vengence .
    BBVegasGirl80 likes this.
    08-15-13 10:28 AM
    Life would go on..
    I would still drink my starbucks 3x a day
    Eat my breakfast, eat my lunch, eat my dinner...
    Maybe there would be less negativity going around and world peace?
    08-15-13 02:06 PM
    I tried to post this as a stand-alone thread, as it's a legitimate question...I'm not trying to stir the pot, and I really don't care for the flood of "don't worry...BlackBerry isn't going anywhere" responses. Such responses are of no use to me. Regardless of what the OP's intentions were, this thread appears to have become another "for-or-against" thread. Nonetheless, a mod insisted I move my question here, so here goes...

Perhaps I�m completely out to lunch, here, but I�ve been reading a number of threads that question the effects of a sale or merger of BlackBerry on various aspects. While I realize that it�s premature to be anticipating such a change, the reality is that all options are being considered by management; that�s simply a fact.

Some of the discussions center around whether BB users will switch to other platforms, with the inevitable response being that such a switch would be stupid, as �a handset will still work the same, no matter what happens to the company behind it.� I�m not convinced that�s strictly true, as things such as customer support, etc. might be compromised. In any event, human nature is such that, unless one is speaking of collector�s items, buyers tend to shy away from �final runs� and old inventory from dying companies (again, I�m not saying BB is dying�I�m pointing out my assessment of human nature generally).

Some of the responses touch on an area I don�t know enough about; specifically where members state that there�d be no effect on handsets if Blackberry were to change/disappear, since BIS/BES is not needed anymore. Again, I don�t know about such things. I know that my company moved to ActiveSync when they went BYOD, so I presume this to be true.

However, don�t some things, such as BBM still go exclusively through BlackBerry�s own servers? Isn�t that why there have been those well-known outages which affected everybody, and not just users with certain companies or providers?

And if that�s the case, isn�t the loss of BBM a very real concern if (and again, big IF) BlackBerry were to disappear or be swallowed up? Further, doesn�t that throw the whole idea of bringing it cross-platform into jeopardy, firstly because the loss of the servers loses the functionality, and secondly because the fear of such event would stand in the way of uptake?

Or am I raising irrelevant questions?
    08-15-13 02:12 PM
    I think BlackBerry disappearing would be a complete waste. There is lots of potential in that company, even as a partner or subsidiary of another company.
    BBVegasGirl80 and QuickDime like this.
    08-15-13 02:52 PM
    I honestly would be sad being forced to switch devices, I don't like my iPhone and I'm pretty excited about getting a Q10
    BBVegasGirl80 likes this.
    08-15-13 07:03 PM
37 12