OK guys I know I've seen a couple of threads like this but I totally don't understand them. So please help and bear with me, also note that I am only 14.
    I have learnt basics in HTML(which was a long time ago). I don't want to learn something that won't be useful for anything else, because I have plans for Unity, being able to make these apps/games available on other platforms and more

I just ask from you:
    1. What to learn first
    2. Tutorials, links to videos, whatever is ok
    3. What will I need to download
    4. Someone I can ask for help if I'm ever stuck or confused.

Thanks a load guys!

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 03:09 PM
    Good on ya to already be looking into App development especially at 14. I'm fairly new to app development as well ( currently working on a grocery store app for an independent grocer i've worked at since i was 15 [im 20 now])

If you're looking to make cross platform apps, you might want to take a look at building HTML5
    cross platform games are a slightly different matter as HTML5 isnt really going to work.
    i'd suggest looking into learning C++ and Java for games that way you can write a more object oriented approach to your games.

For downloads take a look at each platforms developer sites they provide SDKs for you to use to build your app.
    both Blackberry and Android are in an eclipse IDE environment not sure about iOS as i haven't ventured into iOS dev yet. I'm sure someone else will reply to this thread that is much more educated than I.

Don't be afraid to reach out to the platform's Dev Relations teams. Blackberry's by far is THE MOST accomodating ( they have to be)

and lastly start with sample apps that are open source / publically published these provide a great sense of how other Devs are creating simple solutions that you can try to manipulate.
    Start by manipulating background colours, add an image etc. these small teidious tasks will greatly improve how you understand the language, syntax and environment.

Best Of Luck
    08-14-13 03:22 PM
    Good on ya to already be looking into App development especially at 14. I'm fairly new to app development as well ( currently working on a grocery store app for an independent grocer i've worked at since i was 15 [im 20 now])

If you're looking to make cross platform apps, you might want to take a look at building HTML5
    cross platform games are a slightly different matter as HTML5 isnt really going to work.
    i'd suggest looking into learning C++ and Java for games that way you can write a more object oriented approach to your games.

For downloads take a look at each platforms developer sites they provide SDKs for you to use to build your app.
    both Blackberry and Android are in an eclipse IDE environment not sure about iOS as i haven't ventured into iOS dev yet. I'm sure someone else will reply to this thread that is much more educated than I.

Don't be afraid to reach out to the platform's Dev Relations teams. Blackberry's by far is THE MOST accomodating ( they have to be)

and lastly start with sample apps that are open source / publically published these provide a great sense of how other Devs are creating simple solutions that you can try to manipulate.
    Start by manipulating background colours, add an image etc. these small teidious tasks will greatly improve how you understand the language, syntax and environment.

Best Of Luck
    iOS isn't very important to me, my first approach is BlackBerry 10 then Android.

Can I use java or C++ for both games and apps and will it be compatible on BlackBerry 10 or Android?

I'd like a language that is useful for both games and apps, does anybody know/can explain what native and cascades is and if it can be used for both games and apps?

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 04:01 PM
    iOS isn't very important to me, my first approach is BlackBerry 10 then Android.

Can I use java or C++ for both games and apps?

I'd like a language that is useful for both games and apps, does anybody know/can explain what native and cascades is and if it can be used for both games and apps?

Posted via CB10
    Ignore this please and could somebody delete this please

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 04:03 PM
    Anybody?

Posted via CB10
    08-17-13 10:59 AM
    I'm in the same boat as you. I want to learn how to develop, specifically for BlackBerry 10. I've downloaded the native SDK (10.1), and I kind of don't know where to start :/ YouTube isn't much of a help either... Because I don't know what I need to learn...
    08-17-13 12:52 PM
    Same situation here. I'm only 13 and need to know more about developing
    08-17-13 01:08 PM
    Hi Boys, BlackBerry has excellent learnings tutorials for cascades ( Native) and html5 ( Web Works) here http://developer.blackberry.com/blac...b_training.htm, but depending on your skills you would like to learn C++ first by example here http://www.learcpp.com for native bb10 or html5 for Web works.. Good look!

Posted via CB10
    kye2000 likes this.
    08-17-13 01:50 PM
    If you want to make cross-platform apps and games HTML5 is a good way to go, you can have an app running in pretty much all the OS's without changing a single line of code, the only downside is that if you wanna make something CPU-intensive is not going to run that fast.

The other option is to learn all the native SDK's, Android uses Java, iOS uses objective-C and BlackBerry uses C++(and Javascript a bit), if you don't know that much about programming I'd recommend learning JavaScript before jumping into C/C++ or Java. I'm willing to provide assistance via PM or BBM, although I still consider myself a newbie, I've been programming since I was 13(I'm 17 now) and I've been developing for BB10 for the past six months or so.
    Brandon_oma692 likes this.
    08-20-13 08:12 AM
    If you want to make cross-platform apps and games HTML5 is a good way to go, you can have an app running in pretty much all the OS's without changing a single line of code, the only downside is that if you wanna make something CPU-intensive is not going to run that fast.

The other option is to learn all the native SDK's, Android uses Java, iOS uses objective-C and BlackBerry uses C++(and Javascript a bit), if you don't know that much about programming I'd recommend learning JavaScript before jumping into C/C++ or Java. I'm willing to provide assistance via PM or BBM, although I still consider myself a newbie, I've been programming since I was 13(I'm 17 now) and I've been developing for BB10 for the past six months or so.
    I'd love your help through BBM, could you also provide links or tell us how you started off?

The Gamer's Network- C00015A3 || From my Z on .1047
    08-20-13 12:42 PM
    Hi Boys, BlackBerry has excellent learnings tutorials for cascades ( Native) and html5 ( Web Works) here http://developer.blackberry.com/blac...b_training.htm, but depending on your skills you would like to learn C++ first by example here http://www.learcpp.com for native bb10 or html5 for Web works.. Good look!

Posted via CB10
    Thanks I'll check that out as soon as I can use my computer(im upgrading it)

08-20-13 12:44 PM
    Links sure, BlackBerry Developer is a good place to start, you can choose what language fit your needs, a good JavaScript book is Eloquent JavaScript: A Modern Introduction to Programming it assumes that you have no knowledge of programming and introduces concepts like variables, functions, objects, is a really cool book. Also good places to ask stuff are http://www.opensourcebb.com(they have really good examples and tutorials) and their subforum here on CB.

I started by making a "Hello World" in C lol, I started with easy things and then moved into harder/complex things. Feel free to add me on BBM(just specify that you're farteater from cb forums lol)
    08-20-13 03:20 PM
    Links sure, BlackBerry Developer is a good place to start, you can choose what language fit your needs, a good JavaScript book is Eloquent JavaScript: A Modern Introduction to Programming it assumes that you have no knowledge of programming and introduces concepts like variables, functions, objects, is a really cool book. Also good places to ask stuff are http://www.opensourcebb.com(they have really good examples and tutorials) and their subforum here on CB.

I started by making a "Hello World" in C lol, I started with easy things and then moved into harder/complex things. Feel free to add me on BBM(just specify that you're farteater from cb forums lol)
    Thanks! Just by the way, have you learnt C++?

08-20-13 03:44 PM
    Yeah, I have, my apps are mostly Cascades so I use QML for the UI and C++ for the logics
    08-20-13 04:38 PM
    Yeah, I have, my apps are mostly Cascades so I use QML for the UI and C++ for the logics
    Alright thanks! I'm probably gonna start with Java script as soon as I'm don't upgrading my PC(all I need is a graphics card)

08-20-13 05:21 PM
    Will C# be a good go? Because my brother suggested it, he also found very, very good tutorials on it and Unity supports it

09-08-13 03:42 PM
    Well, you can't make apps with C# as far as I know, you could use Unity and make cross-plaform games yes. It depends on what you wanna do, if you want to make apps for BB10 then C# is not an option, if you want to make games using Unity then is definitely the way to go.
    09-12-13 01:07 PM