Some may take offense to the message, but I thought this was a very thoughtful and accurate take on the death of BlackBerry:

BlackBerry, founded in 1984 by a pair of engineering students, Mike Lazaridis and Douglas Fregin, was for years one of the world�s most innovative builders of communications products like two-way pagers and e-mail devices. But the story of its past six years has been one of missed opportunities. First, the company failed to recognize that the iPhone could hurt it. Then it overlooked the threat of low-cost competitors in Asia. Finally, and most recently, executives threw the company�s little remaining energy into a new line of high-end smartphones that failed to resonate with consumers, having arrived far too late with too little to offer.

BlackBerry, of course, wasn�t the only company that made the mistake of ignoring the iPhone and the revolution it portended: engineers at Nokia, which, years earlier, had introduced a one-pound smartphone, dismissed the iPhone because, among other reasons, it failed to pass a test in which phones were dropped five feet onto concrete over and over again, the Wall Street Journal reported last year. Microsoft C.E.O. Steve Ballmer actually laughed at the iPhone. �It doesn�t appeal to business customers because it doesn�t have a keyboard,� he said. Nokia and Microsoft, which are now building smartphones in partnership with each other, have, like BlackBerry, seen their share of the market shrink.

As early as 2009, BlackBerry�s share price had fallen to less than fifty dollars, from its high of two hundred and thirty-six dollars in the summer of 2007. The �consumerization� of business technology was already underway, and the company had failed to come to grips with it: when BlackBerry users returned home and pulled off their ties, they picked up iPhones, which were a lot more fun to use. Soon, they wanted to use iPhones at work. Simultaneously, companies realized that workers would be happier and more productive buying the device of their choice, and the firms themselves, spared the expense of providing their employees with phones, would save money.
    How the iPhone and Bad Decisions Killed BlackBerry : The New Yorker
    08-13-13 02:16 PM
    08-13-13 02:24 PM
    I do agree that the release of the iPhone was the first nail in the coffin.

Mike and Jim had their "plan" and it didn't involve having to compete against Apple or Google in any way. They stuck to that plan WAY too long, I think Verizon had to force them to build the STORM. But by then Android was there and those devices weren't crippled like the BBOS devices on BIS were.

Now Thor has a plan that he thinks will lead BB back to relevance. The problems with having a fixed plan, is there is always something that will disrupt that plan. If you aren't flexible and capable of make quick changes... things can go very badly, very quickly.
    08-13-13 02:27 PM
    I do agree that the release of the iPhone was the first nail in the coffin.

Mike and Jim had their "plan" and it didn't involve having to compete against Apple or Google in any way. They stuck to that plan WAY too long, I think Verizon had to force them to build the STORM. But by then Android was there and those devices weren't crippled like the BBOS devices on BIS were.

Now Thor has a plan that he thinks will lead BB back to relevance. The problems with having a fixed plan, is there is always something that will disrupt that plan. If you aren't flexible and capable of make quick changes... things can go very badly, very quickly.
    You make it sound like BB has already closed down. Everyone says it is too late for them. Has anyone thought yesterday was planned all along unless they sold 7-8 millionn BB10 devices last quarter?

Yes there is a plan in place for BB is it Fixed? I really don't know but, yes you are right it needs to be flexible. Has the plan completely unfolded? i doubt it now we wait and see.
    08-13-13 02:49 PM
    Some may take offense to the message, but I thought this was a very thoughtful and accurate take on the death of BlackBerry:

Sorry it isn't since BlackBerry isn't dead!!!!

How the iPhone and Bad Decisions Killed BlackBerry : The New Yorker
    08-13-13 02:51 PM
    You make it sound like BB has already closed down. Everyone says it is too late for them. Has anyone thought yesterday was planned all along unless they sold 7-8 millionn BB10 devices last quarter?

Yes there is a plan in place for BB is it Fixed? I really don't know but, yes you are right it needs to be flexible. Has the plan completely unfolded? i doubt it now we wait and see.
    They been looking for strategic partners for more than a year.
    08-13-13 05:37 PM