I remember in a podcast a few weeks ago, Umi talking about how the press release for the 9720 was bad for BlackBerry, and that they should've just released it and not said anything. After what I'm reading in the press it seems that he's right.

All I see are headlines drawing attention away from the BB10 phones like the upcoming Z30; and pointing out that BlackBerry's "newest phone" has dated hardware, software, and specs.

Do you guys think it would've been better just to keep a lid on the device and then just let it out in emerging markets, or that there was a better marketing option out there? Or maybe not even make the phone. How do you handle a device like the 9720?
    08-13-13 11:33 AM
    I think there are 2 sides that have good points for each. For my I see another bbos 7 device as a sign of bb10 not going like they need it too. But I also know that the BB10 devices are priced way to high for markets where the 9720 can sell and maybe sell pretty good.
    08-13-13 11:36 AM
    Ahhhh how about not every market has the ability to handle the new high spec phones that's why they are called emerging markets
    08-13-13 01:36 PM
    BlackBerry having two platforms was/is a MISTAKE. Not designing BB7 devices to be upgradeable, and not designing BB10 to run on more basic hardware was.... very short sighted of them (S T U P I D).

But that horse is gone. I understand the need in many markets where the cells systems are not as mature and where a device with BIS and a low purchase cost is going to fill a need and will sell much better than a BB10 device. Selling something with the BlackBerry name on it is better than not selling anything. On price alone BlackBerry doesn't stand a chance (ZTE $80 Firefox phone), but with cheaper BB data plans (where available) it does have an advantage for now.
    08-13-13 01:50 PM
    At least it has a trackpad. So it's better than the two Qs in that respect..
    08-13-13 02:43 PM
    BlackBerry having two platforms was/is a MISTAKE. Not designing BB7 devices to be upgradeable, and not designing BB10 to run on more basic hardware was.... very short sighted of them (S T U P I D).
    Please explain this to me. BB7 is an older and completely different OS than BB10 OS, so how can you upgrade it? Look at playbook, it only has 1 gig of Ram and it can't even be upgraded to BB10 and you want to some how get older Bold's/Curves to be upgraded to todays tech?
    08-13-13 05:02 PM
    BBOS 7 works like a charm for me.

Put a decent price tag on that 9720 and i will buy it!
    08-13-13 06:04 PM
    Ahhhh how about not every market has the ability to handle the new high spec phones that's why they are called emerging markets
    Ahhh. The "emerging market" angel.
    When will they emerge enough to give Blackberry some breathing room?
    Seems like this "emergence" is forever.
    08-13-13 06:21 PM